NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-27-2021, 08:10 AM

I think its a 1971 postcard Charlie. Still a nice piece ! Scott
Old 04-27-2021, 03:49 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chstrite View Post
the 1973 Topps Pin Up test issue, which includes a number of HoF'ers in the 24 card set. This version is a PSA 8. This pin up is very expensive and not easy to find at this grade. There is 1 graded as a PSA 9 (I believe one of our members owns this one!).

One of my favorite and most difficult cards to find is the next example...the 1973 Topps Comics (another test issue by Topps). This card is a PSA 6.5 and is very expensive and very hard to find. This set had 24 different cards with plenty of HoF'ers. There is one graded as a PSA 8. Finding this one proved very difficult. I am sure there are a few of you that have one but wow, this card is amazing. Next is the Topps Brooks and OPC Brooks.

The Topps card is plentiful and very affordable at the PSA 9 grade...the PSA 10 has not proven easy to find (8 PSA 10s are out there!). The OPC version is a PSA 7 with one graded higher.

Finally, you see the Topps Candy Lids, which is not terribly difficult to find and another Topps "experiment." There were 55 lids in this set with 20 HoF'ers. This example is a PSA 5 with 7 graded higher. Accompanying the Lid is the proof, which PSA suprisingly graded (this is the only one graded...my gut says they will never grade another "proof").
There are several of my favorite Brooksie cards in ‘73. The pin up is one of them as I really like the photo used of Brooks holding multiple bats. Go ahead and send me your example Scott...

You have to love the comic; doesn’t get much better than that.

I go back and forth on a favorite regular issue card and the ‘73 Topps usually comes out on top. Simply the BEST Brooks picture used.

Maybe I can’t see it, but I don’t see a grade on the lid proof. I guess these get a lower grade due to the tab being bent.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:14 PM

Default 1973 Brooks Lid Proof

Mark, graded authentic. Most proofs (if graded) get authentic.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:27 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Most Orioles collectors are familiar with the Rochester Red Wings 1981 WTF card set primarily due to the inclusion of the Cal Ripken Jr. card.

However most collectors don't realize that one of the cards in this set has a tough variation.

From the web site Ripken in the Minors:

"When Steve Kozel received permission to print the 1981 WTF Rochester Red Wings set is came with a condition. The condition was that Steve would provide 3,000 cards of Doc Edwards for an Eastman Kodak Underprivileged Day during the 1981 season. The quote included a quote on the back from Edwards. In reality, Doc did not want to be bothered so the quote was attributed to him but chosen by Steve and then Co-General Manager Bill Terlecky. It was the first time the Kodak logo was ever put on a trading card and the people at Kodak were not happy. For whatever reason, possibly rain, the cards were never handed out. In March 2011 a copy surfaced at auction. Kevin Johnston of Clubhouse in Rochester sold the card. Kevin was Clubhouse Manager for the Wings in 1981 and had no clue how he received the card. The card was printed on the same sheets as the 1981 WTF set but has a picture cropped different from its WTF counterpart."

I was fortunate to acquire one of these cards from Kevin Johnston:

Old 05-01-2021, 06:46 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
Most Orioles collectors are familiar with the Rochester Red Wings 1981 WTF card set primarily due to the inclusion of the Cal Ripken Jr. card.

However most collectors don't realize that one of the cards in this set has a tough variation.

From the web site Ripken in the Minors:

"When Steve Kozel received permission to print the 1981 WTF Rochester Red Wings set is came with a condition. The condition was that Steve would provide 3,000 cards of Doc Edwards for an Eastman Kodak Underprivileged Day during the 1981 season. The quote included a quote on the back from Edwards. In reality, Doc did not want to be bothered so the quote was attributed to him but chosen by Steve and then Co-General Manager Bill Terlecky. It was the first time the Kodak logo was ever put on a trading card and the people at Kodak were not happy. For whatever reason, possibly rain, the cards were never handed out. In March 2011 a copy surfaced at auction. Kevin Johnston of Clubhouse in Rochester sold the card. Kevin was Clubhouse Manager for the Wings in 1981 and had no clue how he received the card. The card was printed on the same sheets as the 1981 WTF set but has a picture cropped different from its WTF counterpart."

I was fortunate to acquire one of these cards from Kevin Johnston:

Bill,

Wow. I have never heard of or seen that card before. Thanks for adding another card to my wantlist..

I wonder how many are left? I would love to find one for my minor league collection. What do you guess for value?
Old 05-01-2021, 07:15 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Bill,

Wow. I have never heard of or seen that card before. Thanks for adding another card to my wantlist..

I wonder how many are left? I would love to find one for my minor league collection. What do you guess for value?
I was thumbing through some cards last night waiting for the Orioles to start and I ran across these & had forgotten I even had them...

Back 7-8 years ago I think I paid about $75 for it but I'm not positive (and I may have been given a price break since I had purchased quite a few items from him over the years).
Old 05-02-2021, 02:37 PM

Default 1974 Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set

Good Sunday. This week I will show you the 1974 entries to the Brooks PSA Master. The 1974 Laughlin All Star is graded as a PSA 9 with 2 PSA 10s out there. Next, is the Topps cards for Brooks in 1974. The regular card is a PSA 10, which is very rare at this grade and expensive. There are 3 other GEMs. The All Star Card with Boyer is a PSA 9 with over 70 peers and 7 GEMs. The Orioles team card at a PSA 9 was difficult to find and a little pricy. There are 3 PSA 10s. The 1974 OPC Brooks and All Star Cards were surprisingly hard to find at these grades. The PSA 6 OPC Brooks card has 10 graded higher. The OPC All Star card is a PSA 8 OC (I have another 8 OC I had graded). There are 3 graded higher. The 1974 Brooks single Stamp is a PSA 9 with 2 graded higher. The Stamp Panel is graded Authentic with only 2 graded with a number grade. Finally, the 1974 Deckle Edge gray and white back. The Gray Back is less rare and is graded as a PSA 8 with 14 peers and 11 graded higher. The rarer white back is tied as highest graded with 2 others. I had this card graded and it is very expensive. The proof is part of the set but does not count in the denominator. My Brooks collection took a turn this week. I completed the Master. It is 100% complete (272 out of 272 on hand; I have as many as 13 items to add). I did some research and found no complete masters with PSA for similar master sets such as Bench, Palmer, Gibson, Mays, Mantle, Clemente, or Aaron. See ya next week with 1975.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1974 Brooks.jpg (78.0 KB, 275 views)
Old 05-02-2021, 04:22 PM
je.sse @rnot

I didn't even realize there was a Brooks Robinson thread. Picked this one up recently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210428-184359_eBay.jpg (80.1 KB, 265 views)
Old 05-02-2021, 06:32 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Good Sunday. This week I will show you the 1974 entries to the Brooks PSA Master. My Brooks collection took a turn this week. I completed the Master. It is 100% complete (272 out of 272 on hand; I have as many as 13 items to add).
Charlie,

Congrats. Here are a few more 1974 team issued items you might enjoy.

Team issued Postcard (It's considered a 1973/74 issue by postcard collectors)

197374 Postcards 07 - Copy.jpg

Team Issued Tadder Photos

I can't be sure the photo on the right is from 1974. The pose is definitely before 1974, but the name is in very small print, which is common to the 1974 team issued 8x10 photos

Robinson, Brooks (Tadder) 4x5 - Copy.jpg Robinson, Brooks 14 - Copy.jpg

1974 Orioles Publicity Photo Sheet

1974 Tadder 2 - Copy.jpg

1974 O-Pee-Chee Cards

Charlie, You are correct that the OPC cards are much harder to find centered. 1974 OPC cards in general tend to be tough. It took me a long time to complete my Orioles team set. Very happy to find these three with decent borders. Does the PSA master set not include the 1974 OPC team card?

1974 O-Pee-Chee #1 - Copy.JPG 1974 O-Pee-Chee #2 - Copy.JPG 1974 O-Pee-Chee #1.jpg
Old 05-02-2021, 08:29 PM

Default OPC Team Card Brooks PSA Master

The Brooks Master does not include the 1974 Team Card. This is one I want to add. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-03-2021, 11:27 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I didn't even realize there was a Brooks Robinson thread. Picked this one up recently.
Great looking autographed Brooksie card!
Old 05-03-2021, 11:31 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Good Sunday. This week I will show you the 1974 entries to the Brooks PSA Master. The 1974 Laughlin All Star is graded as a PSA 9 with 2 PSA 10s out there. Next, is the Topps cards for Brooks in 1974. The regular card is a PSA 10, which is very rare at this grade and expensive. There are 3 other GEMs. The All Star Card with Boyer is a PSA 9 with over 70 peers and 7 GEMs. The Orioles team card at a PSA 9 was difficult to find and a little pricy. There are 3 PSA 10s. The 1974 OPC Brooks and All Star Cards were surprisingly hard to find at these grades. The PSA 6 OPC Brooks card has 10 graded higher. The OPC All Star card is a PSA 8 OC (I have another 8 OC I had graded). There are 3 graded higher. The 1974 Brooks single Stamp is a PSA 9 with 2 graded higher. The Stamp Panel is graded Authentic with only 2 graded with a number grade. Finally, the 1974 Deckle Edge gray and white back. The Gray Back is less rare and is graded as a PSA 8 with 14 peers and 11 graded higher. The rarer white back is tied as highest graded with 2 others. I had this card graded and it is very expensive. The proof is part of the set but does not count in the denominator. My Brooks collection took a turn this week. I completed the Master. It is 100% complete (272 out of 272 on hand; I have as many as 13 items to add). I did some research and found no complete masters with PSA for similar master sets such as Bench, Palmer, Gibson, Mays, Mantle, Clemente, or Aaron. See ya next week with 1975.
Charlie,

Again, CONGRATS on the completion of the Brooks Master. Now go get that #1 position.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:44 PM
Clint

Charlie, why is the 1957 Oriole team card included in the Brooks registry? Looking at the names on the back of the card Brooks isn’t pictured or did I miss something?
Old 05-03-2021, 07:22 PM
John
John Pur.cell

Quote:

Congrats on completing the master!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2021, 11:46 PM

I feel like Brooks is missing from the 1970 or 71 team photo on the Topps card. Could be wrong... is that one included in registry ? Scott
Old 05-04-2021, 05:35 PM

I think the 71 Topps Orioles card doesn’t have Brooks in the photo. Am I correct with that? Scott
Old 05-04-2021, 06:30 PM

Default 70 and 71 Orioles Team Card

Both years are part of the Registry.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:41 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
I think the 71 Topps Orioles card doesn’t have Brooks in the photo. Am I correct with that? Scott
Scott,

I believe you are right.

Also, I noticed that the 1971 World Series card with Brooks is included, but some of the other Playoff & World Series cards from 1970-1972 with Brooks in the picture are not. They might be part of what Charlie is working to get added to the PSA Master.

Last edited by BaltOrioles; 05-04-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:48 PM
Alan Strout

Default Ray Miller passes

I just saw where long time Orioles pitching coach and manager, Ray Miller passed away. He was pitching coach to several great Orioles pitchers, including Jim Palmer, Scott McGregor, Mike Flanagan, Mike Boddicker and Steve Stone.

Here's a couple team issued photos - 8x10 from early in his career and a postcard from the end.

Miller, Ray 2 - Copy.jpg 2005 Postcards 07 - Copy.jpg
Old 05-06-2021, 05:23 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I know I've posted this multi signed ticket before but after John Means' performance yesterday, I thought it was worthy of posting again:

Old 05-07-2021, 06:16 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
I just saw where long time Orioles pitching coach and manager, Ray Miller passed away. He was pitching coach to several great Orioles pitchers, including Jim Palmer, Scott McGregor, Mike Flanagan, Mike Boddicker and Steve Stone.
Alan, I was surprised to hear of Miller's passing (who is a member of the Orioles HOF). The news of this was somewhat (ironically) overshadowed by Mean's no-hitter.

Here is a photo of the Orioles 1979 coaching staff...My original intent was to get it signed by all & it's now somewhat saddening knowing that everyone in this picture is now deceased:

Last edited by roarfrom34; 05-07-2021 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:10 PM
Clint

Great photo Bill and sad news!😢
Old 05-09-2021, 09:45 AM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set - 1975

Good morning! This week we have a lot of entries. 1975 has 21 different cards. We begin from the left with the Hostess Cereal Panel. The Panel is hard to find at a high grade. The PSA 6 here is nothing special; there are 12 graded higher. The single PSA 10 is tied as highst graded with 30 peers. The Kellogs card is tied as highest graded with 40 peers at the PSA 10. The two 1975 Japanese NST Mr. Baseball Nagashima JMC 1 Brooks cards/stamps are pretty rare. The one of him in uniform is a PSA 5, which is pretty nice despite the grade. There are 2 graded higher. The other Japanese card where Brooks is not in uniform is the highest graded as a PSA 8. Both of these cards are hard to find and can be a little expenisve. There is a Boog Powell card, too. Next, you will find the 1975 SSPC Brooks regular card, which is a PSA 10 with 324 peers. I love the 1975 SSPC set...full of Hall of Famers. The All Star card is a PSA 6 with four graded higher. The All Star Cards are hard to find and impossible to find in a high grade. Next you will find 3 rows of four cards from 1975...the mini topps set, the regular topps set and the o-pee-chee set (OPC). Each set has a regular card, the MVP card, team card and AL Champions card. I have found both the mini and OPC cards are more scarce than the regular set. The mini regular Brooks card at PSA 9 was very hard to find. This one elluded me for years. There are 22 at PSA 9 and 3 PSA 10s. The MVP card is a PSA 9 with 36 peers and 4 PSA 10s. The Orioles team card is a PSA 9 with 37 peers and only 3 graded higher. The Championship card is quite expensive at the PSA 9 or 10 level; here I am showing a PSA 8.5 with 2 peers and 12 graded higher. The 1975 regular Topps card is a beauty...this PSA 10 has 7 peers. The MVP PSA 9 has 67 peers and 1 graded higher. The Orioles team card is a PSA 8 with 209 peers and 44 graded higher. The AL Championship cardis a PSA 9 with 34 peers and 2 graded higher. The OPC cards are all in a nice grade. The regular PSA 9 has 9 peers with 1 PSA 10. The MVP is a PSA 7 with 6 peers and 14 graded higher. The Orioles team card is highest graded as a PSA 8 with 5 peers. The AL Championship card is a PSA 6 with 3 peers and 11 graded higher. Finally, you have the two Orioles mail in checklist sheet team cards. The gray back is the highest graded with 2 peers (I own two of these at this grade...by accident). The white back checklist sheet card is a PSA 7 with 2 graded higher. I believe this is the first of many years topps sold the hand cut sheet cards. Anyone remember requesting these by mail? See you next week with 1976.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1975 Topps Brooks.jpg (83.0 KB, 211 views)
Old 05-10-2021, 12:36 PM
Clint

Charlie, I ordered some of the football team sheets in 1977. I still have them. The 75’s are all pretty nice cards I think.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:02 PM

Default 1977 team sheets

Clint, did you mean baseball team sheets?
Old 05-10-2021, 07:11 PM
Clint

I had the football, never ordered the baseball for some reason. The football ones are on a thinner glossy type stock.

Last edited by ksfarmboy; 05-10-2021 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:08 AM

Default Brooks Robinson Master Set - 1976

Good morning. This week I will share with you the 1976 Brooks entries to the Master. The 1976 Hostess Panel and Hand Cut cards are both high quality cards. The 1976 Hostess in my opinion is so much nicer than 1975. Here, the panel is a PSA 9 with 2 peers and 1 graded higher; the single hand cut card is also a PSA 9 with 11 peers and 2 graded higher. Next, you see the Topps 1976 as a PSA 9. This card is easy to find at this grade (192 peers). There are 14 PSA 10, which I am looking for. The OPC 1976 PSA 7 is a high graded card with 4 peers and 9 graded higher. The Orioles Team Topps card is a PSA 10, with 39 peers. The OPC Orioles Team Card is a PSA 8 with 5 peers and 3 graded higher. The 1976 Orioles Team Checklist Sheet Hand Cut is graded as a PSA 6 with 1 peer and 2 graded higher. The 1976 Laughlin Diamond Jubilee card is very nice as a PSA 10 with 22 peers. This card is part of a 32 card set with plenty of HoF'ers. The 1976 Brooks Post Card PSA 10 has 2 peers. The 1976 Chicken Lid is a PSA 1.5, which was graded recently. Forgive me, but i forgot to include this in the picture and had to paste it in. The Chicken Lid is hard to find. I have the entire set. There is a 1983 set, too. I have requested PSA add this 1976 lid to the master set. Surprisingly, no other Brooks Chicken Lids are graded. Next, you will see all of the 1976 Discs. All but one of these are PSA 10s (Town Club, Safelon, Carousel, MSA Blank Back, Orbakers, Crane Chips, Dairy Isle, Buckmans, and Isaly's Sweek Williams). The Dairy Isle PSA 10 has 3 peers, while the others have dozens or more. The discs are plentiful and affordable. The PSA 9 Red Barn Disc is a tough one to find high graded. This PSA 9 has 3 peers and there are 2 PSA 10s out there. We are down to 2 more years. See you next week with 1977 (more of the dreaded Discs).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brooks 1976.jpg (80.7 KB, 177 views)
Old 05-16-2021, 05:11 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Good morning. This week I will share with you the 1976 Brooks entries to the Master. The 1976 Hostess Panel and Hand Cut cards are both high quality cards. The 1976 Hostess in my opinion is so much nicer than 1975. Here, the panel is a PSA 9 with 2 peers and 1 graded higher; the single hand cut card is also a PSA 9 with 11 peers and 2 graded higher. Next, you see the Topps 1976 as a PSA 9. This card is easy to find at this grade (192 peers). There are 14 PSA 10, which I am looking for. The OPC 1976 PSA 7 is a high graded card with 4 peers and 9 graded higher. The Orioles Team Topps card is a PSA 10, with 39 peers. The OPC Orioles Team Card is a PSA 8 with 5 peers and 3 graded higher. The 1976 Orioles Team Checklist Sheet Hand Cut is graded as a PSA 6 with 1 peer and 2 graded higher. The 1976 Laughlin Diamond Jubilee card is very nice as a PSA 10 with 22 peers. This card is part of a 32 card set with plenty of HoF'ers. The 1976 Brooks Post Card PSA 10 has 2 peers. The 1976 Chicken Lid is a PSA 1.5, which was graded recently. Forgive me, but i forgot to include this in the picture and had to paste it in. The Chicken Lid is hard to find. I have the entire set. There is a 1983 set, too. I have requested PSA add this 1976 lid to the master set. Surprisingly, no other Brooks Chicken Lids are graded. Next, you will see all of the 1976 Discs. All but one of these are PSA 10s (Town Club, Safelon, Carousel, MSA Blank Back, Orbakers, Crane Chips, Dairy Isle, Buckmans, and Isaly's Sweek Williams). The Dairy Isle PSA 10 has 3 peers, while the others have dozens or more. The discs are plentiful and affordable. The PSA 9 Red Barn Disc is a tough one to find high graded. This PSA 9 has 3 peers and there are 2 PSA 10s out there. We are down to 2 more years. See you next week with 1977 (more of the dreaded Discs).
Great looking Brooksie items! I especially like the English Chicken Lid and the Hostess. Also, I’m a fan of the discs just because they’re fun to try and acquire all of the different varieties and of course in your boat trying to get them all in high grade. Hey, find me a ‘76 Dairy Isle in a PSA10 please (mines not that nice..).

By the way do you try and get the stamp back versions as well?
Old 05-16-2021, 07:19 PM

Default Brooks Robinson Discs

Mark, I enjoy the discs but there are so many between 76 and 77. I have an extra Dairy Isle PSA 9...no extra 10s. Never got into the different stamps on the back. Take care.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:17 AM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master - 1977

Good Sunday morning to you. This week I will write about the 1977 entries to Brooks' PSA Master Set. This weeks entries total 16 and more than half of those are "discs." Starting at the top left, is the 1977-79 Sportstcaster (Printed in Italy). This example is a PSA 9; there are 6 other PSA 9s and one PSA 10. This set includes over 2,000 multi-sport entries. The Brooks card is not expensive and plenty are available. On the back, there are details about Brooks. Next, you will see two Orioles Post Cards of Brooks...the Light Background version (PSA 10 with 2 peers) and mis-labled Dark Background version (PSA 10 with 1 peer). The two post cards are part of the 1977 Orioles Team Set including over 30 entries, depending on what you reference. These are available routinely in lesser grades but the PSA 10s are surprisingly expensive and just not available (it is hit or miss with PSA on grading the Post Cards). Next is the Sertoma Stars Brooks PSA 9 (nine peers with 2 PSA 10s). This card is part of a 24 card set with tons of HoF'ers. Finding a high graded copy of this card can be difficult. Next is the Topps Brooks card graded a PSA 9, which are plentiful and affordable. There are 178 total PSA 9s and eighteen PSA 10s (yes...I want a 10!). I am not a huge fan of the 1977 Topps card but it is Brooks so I have to love it. The PSA 9 Topps Orioles Team Card is a PSA 9 (64 peers) with 12 PSA 10s. I like this card with the dark Orange (almost red) jerseys. The Orioles Team Checklist Sheet Hand Cut is a PSA 5 and highest graded with 3 peers. These are not easy to find but affordable. One of my favorite discs is the 1977 Brooks Burger Chef Funnel Discs from my favorite childhood fast food joint. The Burger Chef Disc is smaller than the others. I have several of these at various grades and have given up on finding one of the 3 PSA 10s; I have sent at least 4 to PSA for grading and continue to strike out on receiving a PSA 10. The PSA 9 here has 17 peers. The other 8 discs are all PSA 10s minus the Dairy Isle, which is a PSA 9 (1 peer and 5 PSA 10s exist). The discs include the Zip Z (19 peers), Wendy's (1 peer...this one was very hard to find at this grade), SAGA (4 peers), MSA Customized Sports (9 peers), Holiday Inn (16 peers), Detroit Caesars (7 peers), and Chilly Willy (11 peers). I hope you enjoyed this week's post. Next week will be my final posting with 1978 with 6 entries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1977 Brooks Pic.jpg (78.3 KB, 145 views)
Old 05-29-2021, 09:51 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of Cal Ripken Jr. hitting his only three Home Run game of his career....Ironically his third HR was a Grand Slam and tied Eddie Murray for the most career Orioles homers (333)...Also brother Bill homered in this game as well, marking the 2nd (and last) time that they homered in the same game:

Old 05-30-2021, 04:38 PM

Default Brooks Robinson PSA Master Set - 1978

Good evening! This week is Brooks' final year in the PSA Master. In 1978 he had 5 cards. This was one of the smaller years featured on a card or item in the Master. First off, you will see the PSA 9 TCMA Stars of the 1960s. This card has 7 peers and 3 graded at the PSA 10 level. This set has 293 cards featuring photos from Mike Aronstein's library of photos. I enjoy the photos from this set and is full of HoF'ers. Next, is the 1978 Orioles Topps Team Card. This PSA 9 is fairly common with 62 peers and 25 graded as PSA 10. The Topps Team Checklist Sheet Hand Cut is tied highest graded with 1 peer. This card is hard to find at this condition. The 1978 Topps Record Breaker Brooks issue is a PSA 10 GEM, which was fairly pricy and very difficult to find for me despite having 14 peers. The 1978 O Pee Chee PSA 9 has 24 peers and one PSA 10. The 1978 Topps Record Breaker card is one of several players featured achieving a significant event in their career. The 1977 campaign for Brooks was his 23d season in uniform with the Orioles establishing a record of longevity with one ballclub. Sadly, this will be my last week featuring a year in the Brooks Master. It was a lot of fun writing for the past 6 months about the PSA Master featuring Brooks His cards are plentiful with many exceptions, especially the lower population cards. I am very partial to the 1950s, 1960s, and early 1970s and having Brooks in the middle of those years both with Topps and all the oddball cards is very exciting. Several weeks ago, I actually completed the Brooks PSA Master set. The last card needed was the 1975 NST Mr. Baseball Japan Card/Sticker from the Nagashima set featuring Brooks in uniform. The PSA Master Set for Brooks has 272 total items. I did some research on other popular HOF players from that era such as Yaz, Mays, Clemente, Mantle, Aaron, Gibson and others and was surprised to learn that none of them were complete. Many were short a few cards, but again, incomplete. My set has a qualitative score of 7.05. It is ranked number 2 (sad face). The number 1 Brooks set is 96% complete with a qualitative score of 8.07. The difference between my #2 set and the #1 set in terms of grades is significantly different. For example, if I own a card that has a mid value or weight graded as a PSA 5 and find a PSA 10, it will only increase my score by .002. I would likely take me tens of thousands of dollars and 100 increased graded cards to overtake the #1 set. My set has a lot of items that are #1 / highest population (16) and 69 tied for highest grade / population. Within my set there are a number of items that no one else has. I have 6 items at PSA waiting to be added to the Master and another 10 or so at PSA being graded that I hope to add, too. Once PSA opens, I have a handful of items to send for grading and addition (i.e., 1968 Brooks/Franke OPC Champs #1, 1964 Martin Marietta Family Night, 1974 OPC Orioles Team Card and a few 1967/68 Coca Cola / Fanta / Tab / Sprite Soda Caps. Sadly, as you add items with my score, your qualitative score decreases unless you are adding PSA 7 - 10s. Needless to say, my OCD and endless quest to slay new or improved graded Brooks cards is fun while exhausting. The Brooks collection keeps me in the hobby and allows me to meet many people to include as many as 10 folks on this string. Anyway, I hope the weekly posts have been educational and enjoyable. For those of you that do not like PSA, my apologies but hope I have clarified a few things along the way. I will pop in frequently with Brooks items so see you soon. Happy Collecting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1978 Brooks.jpg (77.8 KB, 157 views)
Old 05-30-2021, 04:53 PM
Clint

Thanks for posting your cards Charlie and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it. Will you be posting the other cards you’ve acquired such as the 1968 OPC and the Martin family night cards once they are graded? Would like to see them.
Old 05-30-2021, 06:11 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Will you be posting the other cards you’ve acquired such as the 1968 OPC and the Martin family night cards once they are graded? Would like to see them.
Clint,

An ungraded 1964 Martin Family Night set was shown in post #1582.
Old 05-30-2021, 07:00 PM
Clint

Thanks Alan, pretty neat set.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:20 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of Cal Ripken Jr. hitting his only three Home Run game of his career....Ironically his third HR was a Grand Slam and tied Eddie Murray for the most career Orioles homers (333)...Also brother Bill homered in this game as well, marking the 2nd (and last) time that they homered in the same game:

Bill,

That is an AWESOME ticket!
Old 05-31-2021, 04:25 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Good evening! This week is Brooks' final year in the PSA Master. In 1978 he had 5 cards. This was one of the smaller years featured on a card or item in the Master. First off, you will see the PSA 9 TCMA Stars of the 1960s. This card has 7 peers and 3 graded at the PSA 10 level. This set has 293 cards featuring photos from Mike Aronstein's library of photos. I enjoy the photos from this set and is full of HoF'ers. Next, is the 1978 Orioles Topps Team Card. This PSA 9 is fairly common with 62 peers and 25 graded as PSA 10. The Topps Team Checklist Sheet Hand Cut is tied highest graded with 1 peer. This card is hard to find at this condition. The 1978 Topps Record Breaker Brooks issue is a PSA 10 GEM, which was fairly pricy and very difficult to find for me despite having 14 peers. The 1978 O Pee Chee PSA 9 has 24 peers and one PSA 10. The 1978 Topps Record Breaker card is one of several players featured achieving a significant event in their career. The 1977 campaign for Brooks was his 23d season in uniform with the Orioles establishing a record of longevity with one ballclub. Sadly, this will be my last week featuring a year in the Brooks Master. It was a lot of fun writing for the past 6 months about the PSA Master featuring Brooks His cards are plentiful with many exceptions, especially the lower population cards. I am very partial to the 1950s, 1960s, and early 1970s and having Brooks in the middle of those years both with Topps and all the oddball cards is very exciting. Several weeks ago, I actually completed the Brooks PSA Master set. The last card needed was the 1975 NST Mr. Baseball Japan Card/Sticker from the Nagashima set featuring Brooks in uniform. The PSA Master Set for Brooks has 272 total items. I did some research on other popular HOF players from that era such as Yaz, Mays, Clemente, Mantle, Aaron, Gibson and others and was surprised to learn that none of them were complete. Many were short a few cards, but again, incomplete. My set has a qualitative score of 7.05. It is ranked number 2 (sad face). The number 1 Brooks set is 96% complete with a qualitative score of 8.07. The difference between my #2 set and the #1 set in terms of grades is significantly different. For example, if I own a card that has a mid value or weight graded as a PSA 5 and find a PSA 10, it will only increase my score by .002. I would likely take me tens of thousands of dollars and 100 increased graded cards to overtake the #1 set. My set has a lot of items that are #1 / highest population (16) and 69 tied for highest grade / population. Within my set there are a number of items that no one else has. I have 6 items at PSA waiting to be added to the Master and another 10 or so at PSA being graded that I hope to add, too. Once PSA opens, I have a handful of items to send for grading and addition (i.e., 1968 Brooks/Franke OPC Champs #1, 1964 Martin Marietta Family Night, 1974 OPC Orioles Team Card and a few 1967/68 Coca Cola / Fanta / Tab / Sprite Soda Caps. Sadly, as you add items with my score, your qualitative score decreases unless you are adding PSA 7 - 10s. Needless to say, my OCD and endless quest to slay new or improved graded Brooks cards is fun while exhausting. The Brooks collection keeps me in the hobby and allows me to meet many people to include as many as 10 folks on this string. Anyway, I hope the weekly posts have been educational and enjoyable. For those of you that do not like PSA, my apologies but hope I have clarified a few things along the way. I will pop in frequently with Brooks items so see you soon. Happy Collecting.
Charlie,

Thanks so much for posting your Brooks Robinson PSA Master set. I’ve enjoyed viewing all of those high grade and rare items of my favorite player of all time. That’s quite an accomplishment to complete the set for sure. Please continue to post your additions once received and let us know what cards, if any, were added to the set.

Keep it going!
Old 05-31-2021, 07:24 AM
Ian H@ll

Quote:
The Brooks collection keeps me in the hobby and allows me to meet many people to include as many as 10 folks on this string. Anyway, I hope the weekly posts have been educational and enjoyable. For those of you that do not like PSA, my apologies but hope I have clarified a few things along the way. I will pop in frequently with Brooks items so see you soon. Happy Collecting.
Charlie,

Your collections is impressive. Thank you for the run of posts showing the cards from each year. I enjoyed reading through it each week.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:56 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Good evening! This week is Brooks' final year in the PSA Master. In 1978 he had 5 cards.
Charlie,

Thanks for sharing your collection. I know PSA isn't really into variations, but here's a few from the last few years of Brooks career you might want to add to your collection. Granted some variations are slight.

Team Issued Postcards

1975 (2 Different)

1975 Postcards 08 - Copy.jpg

1976 (3 Different)

1976 Postcards 09 - Copy.jpg

1977 (3 Different Orange Jersey, 2 Different White Jersey)

1977 Postcards 06 - Copy.jpg 1977 Postcards 07 - Copy.jpg

1977 Sertoma Stars

This set came in light and dark versions.

1977 Sertoma Stars #2 - Copy.JPG 1977 Sertoma Stars #3 - Copy.JPG

1975 Hostess Proof Panel

Brooks has slight photo cropping and back is printed in brown instead of black.

1976 Hostess Panels #1 - Copy.JPG
Old 05-31-2021, 11:02 AM
Alan Strout

Here's the last three years of the Orioles team issued publicity photo sheets that feature Brooks. There are corresponding individual 8x10 photos of Brooks with the same poses.

1975 Tadder 2 - Copy.jpg

1976 Tadder 3 - Copy.jpg

1977 Tadder 1 - Copy.jpg
Old 05-31-2021, 02:56 PM

Default Brooks comments

Thanks for sharing the variations, Alan. I will keep an eye on those. I was aware of some but not all. Love the publicity photo sheets. Never see those.

Mark, I will keep everyone posted on the Brooks Master Additions.

Appreciate everyone’s comments.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:56 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Cool Brooks return today. I coach 4/5 year old coach pitched little league and there is a kid Lucas who is a great 3rd basemen (at age 4). Anyways he’s fearless can throw across the smaller field etc. Anyways I always tell his dad he’s a mini Brooks Robinson. Decided to send this out and Brooks didn’t disappoint. We have a game tonight and last one is Friday so just in time. Excited to give this to him. Hopefully he appreciates it when he gets older.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:29 PM

Default Nice 1971 auto, Coach!

Very thoughtful!
Old 06-02-2021, 11:06 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
Cool Brooks return today. I coach 4/5 year old coach pitched little league and there is a kid Lucas who is a great 3rd basemen (at age 4). Anyways he’s fearless can throw across the smaller field etc. Anyways I always tell his dad he’s a mini Brooks Robinson. Decided to send this out and Brooks didn’t disappoint. We have a game tonight and last one is Friday so just in time. Excited to give this to him. Hopefully he appreciates it when he gets older.

Very thoughtful! I’m sure he’ll appreciate the card when he’s older and the dad I’m sure will appreciate it now...
Old 06-08-2021, 05:57 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Back in post 691 (June 1, '20) Alan posted about the 1985 Daytona Beach Islanders which was an Orioles Class A club in the Florida State League which had a Co-Op arrangement with the Texas Rangers (managed by former Oriole Jim Hutto).

Here is a team signed ball from that club (featuring a 20 year old Bill Ripken):

Repost from a year ago, but here is Bill's jersey from that season:

Old 06-08-2021, 03:42 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Back in post 691 (June 1, '20) Alan posted about the 1985 Daytona Beach Islanders which was an Orioles Class A club in the Florida State League which had a Co-Op arrangement with the Texas Rangers (managed by former Oriole Jim Hutto).

Here is a team signed ball from that club (featuring a 20 year old Bill Ripken):

Repost from a year ago, but here is Bill's jersey from that season:

Very NICE! I miss all of the information being presented on the minor league clubs associated with the Orioles. Thanks for more information and an early Ripken auto….
Old 06-08-2021, 09:05 PM

Default O’s hat

Hello all just got this orioles hat recently the consensus is that it’s a souvenir from the early 60s . Any other thoughts ? Thanks for looking !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6AABB5BB-E1F4-4091-B2D0-4B13E16EB90C.jpg (18.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg DE0DA00D-3FF8-4829-B810-AA26CA70CE9B.jpg (19.4 KB, 96 views)
Old 06-08-2021, 09:08 PM

Default Pennant

Here’s another o’s piece my 66 scroll pennant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6EF52C97-401E-4518-AE00-D1B3C01FBB65.jpg (17.0 KB, 90 views)
Old 06-10-2021, 02:32 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djcmac1 View Post
Hello all just got this orioles hat recently the consensus is that it’s a souvenir from the early 60s . Any other thoughts ? Thanks for looking !
I'd agree on the souvenir cap and the age looks to be right in the 60's. I have a couple of these caps, somewhat similar to yours. I've been only able to locate one (I'm not that organized), but here's the one I could find. Looks like a cheaper model to the one you've pictured.

Cap.jpg
Cap 1.jpg

By the way I really like the scroll pennant as well; very nice!
Old 06-10-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
I'd agree on the souvenir cap and the age looks to be right in the 60's. I have a couple of these caps, somewhat similar to yours. I've been only able to locate one (I'm not that organized), but here's the one I could find. Looks like a cheaper model to the one you've pictured.

Attachment 463281
Attachment 463282

By the way I really like the scroll pennant as well; very nice!
Thank you, looking forward to posting more interesting stuff as I find it.