NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-01-2021, 12:34 PM
Ben North

[QUOTE=CrackaJackKid;2098409]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I get my second shot tomorrow. I am still wearing a mask most times. In Texas, most places it's not mandatory. Some it still is but not most. It's suggested to but not mandated even where I workout.

My daughter, the data scientist, doesn't want to get one yet. She is 24 and married and all I can do is tell her I think she should, and I do tell her. She won't budge for now and says she might get one in the future. To each their own I guess.

Exactly, to each their own. I refuse to wear a mask also. Expecting a surgical mask or a gator to protect you from a virus that’s nanometers small is like relying on a chain link fence to keep out mosquitoes. They’re plain theatre. Just my two cents.
That type of mask is to protect others from you if you have the virus. They do not protect you from getting it. This is one of the biggest problems, most don't even understand the types of masks and what they do. (insert hand slapping head emoji).

Last edited by bnorth; 05-01-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:57 PM

Everyone has the choice to wear a mask or not, and to get the vaccine or not.

My choice was to get the vaccine several months ago, and to wear masks when required to do so, such as entering any establishment that states you should do so inside.

I have begun doing normal things again, and look forward to more easing of the COVID restrictions.

But here is a true story: Someone I know spoke out adamantly to not wear masks and to never get vaccinated. She spun all kinds of things that could happen to you by taking a vaccine that was not fully tested. She told me what was going to happen to me after getting the vaccine -- and she did scare me but I still weighed the options and decided since I already had issues to get vaccinated.

She died last month of COVID.

So I still think everyone has a personal decision to make, but you should really study the facts before making that decision.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:58 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

[QUOTE=bnorth;2098417]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackaJackKid View Post

That type of mask is to protect others from you if you have the virus. They do not protect you from getting it. This is one of the biggest problems, most don't even understand the types of masks and what they do. (insert hand slapping head emoji).

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33087517/

"Airborne simulation experiments showed that cotton masks, surgical masks, and N95 masks provide some protection from the transmission of infective SARS-CoV-2 droplets/aerosols."

It isn't 100% but then nothing in life is except death and taxes.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-01-2021, 02:55 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default ...

[QUOTE=bnorth;2098417]
Quote:

Same concept...whether you have it or not, the virus can still get through the mask quite easily. If you want to join the theatre club and wear one or believe the same people who say that masks work but also told us the virus wasn’t transmissible person to person then that’s on you.
Old 05-01-2021, 04:31 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Who’s the root cause of this virus ? Why isn’t anyone being held accountable?
Old 05-01-2021, 06:29 PM
Jeff F0y

For what it’s worth, I worked literally in the face of Covid patients (I’m an ER doctor) MANY times every shift for 9 months prior to getting my vaccines and never got sick. PPE works.

Last edited by cardcountry; 05-01-2021 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:13 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardcountry View Post
For what it’s worth, I worked literally in the face of Covid patients (I’m an ER doctor) MANY times every shift for 9 months prior to getting my vaccines and never got sick. PPE works.
Jeff, coming from you, my friend, your statement is worth a lot. Certainly far more than those of the clowns who always seem to appear in threads like these.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:19 PM
James M.

I've been vaccinated, my parents and loved ones are vaccinated. Would I be comfortable attending the National? I would say yes. I've gone out to dinner in practically full restaurants, as some places in NY don't really care about the COVID spacing requirements.

I will say, the one good thing about masks, as a teacher, is I haven't gotten sick, at all. Normally I come down with at least a Sinus infection or a case of Strep throat or Flu, from one of my students, once a year. I've been fully healthy this year, in the school building for most of it (Quarantine period, withstanding of course)

I'm ready to get back to normal life though, I'd imagine by July, I'll feel even more like that.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 05-01-2021, 07:22 PM
Jeff F0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Jeff, coming from you, my friend, your statement is worth a lot. Certainly far more than those of the clowns who always seem to appear in threads like these.

Thanks buddy! Let’s catch up soon!

Jeff
Old 05-01-2021, 08:42 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
“Clowns”....big talk keyboard warrior.

You’ve probably been fully vaccinated and still parade around with two masks on. Smh
Old 05-01-2021, 10:10 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Quote:

You’ve probably been fully vaccinated and still parade around with two masks on. Smh
Jackass.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:23 PM
Jeff F0y

Quote:

I would wear 5 masks if it would keep me and my family safe from this horrible illness. I have personally seen many young/healthy people become very sick and/or die from it. I have been fully vaccinated and always wear a mask.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:19 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

[QUOTE=CrackaJackKid;2098409]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I get my second shot tomorrow. I am still wearing a mask most times. In Texas, most places it's not mandatory. Some it still is but not most. It's suggested to but not mandated even where I workout.

My daughter, the data scientist, doesn't want to get one yet. She is 24 and married and all I can do is tell her I think she should, and I do tell her. She won't budge for now and says she might get one in the future. To each their own I guess.

Exactly, to each their own. I refuse to wear a mask also. Expecting a surgical mask or a gator to protect you from a virus that’s nanometers small is like relying on a chain link fence to keep out mosquitoes. They’re plain theatre. Just my two cents.
Asking seriously, do you feel masks are unnecessary for doctors operating on patients?
Old 05-02-2021, 07:27 AM
Glyn Parson

I’ll have two masks on if we have a national I will be fully vaccinated. If you choose to have the balls to say something to my face about it you’ll know exactly what I think of you and it won’t be kind words. Frankly a bunch of idiot card guys acting like they know more than virologists are why so many died. Freakin ignorance like that. You clowns should be proud of yourselves.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:33 AM
Jay Shumsky

[QUOTE=CrackaJackKid;2098461]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post

Same concept...whether you have it or not, the virus can still get through the mask quite easily. If you want to join the theatre club and wear one or believe the same people who say that masks work but also told us the virus wasn’t transmissible person to person then that’s on you.
That's how science works. New evidence is discovered so science and belief change over time. Science used to tell people that the world was flat and that the sun revolved around the earth and that cigarette smoking wasn't bad for you, but not too many people still believe those ideas any more since there is scientific evidence that they are all wrong.

Early on in this pandemic, it was believed that person to person transmission wasn't happening and that mask wearing wouldn't help. Now, there is scientific evidence that both of those beliefs were wrong.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:15 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Who’s the root cause of this virus ? Why isn’t anyone being held accountable?
China and a deep state op...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:19 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Early on it was believed that shutting down the world for 2 weeks would have a drastic impact on stopped this virulent coronavirus with an extremely high death rate. History now proves that was incorrect. Regardless what scientists and experts thought.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-02-2021, 08:27 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Early on it was believed that shutting down the world for 2 weeks would have a drastic impact on stopped this virulent coronavirus with an extremely high death rate. History now proves that was incorrect. Regardless what scientists and experts thought.
On the other hand, it's impossible to know what the death toll might have been if the world didn't shut down.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:31 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
On the other hand, it's impossible to know what the death toll might have been if the world didn't shut down.
Or the li ger lasting impact of collateral damage not labeled as "covid related death" to shut downs!

Great argument

Old 05-02-2021, 08:53 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Or the li ger lasting impact of collateral damage not labeled as "covid related death" to shut downs!

Great argument
Right, we'll never know either!

Great argument!
Old 05-02-2021, 08:56 AM
Jay Shumsky

I'm not sure that anyone thought that 2 weeks would be long enough to be of much help, but some countries that did implement more strict measures (Australia and New Zealand for example) and limit travel into the countries from affected areas had pretty good success at limiting the number of cases seen.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:01 AM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
I’ll have two masks on if we have a national I will be fully vaccinated. If you choose to have the balls to say something to my face about it you’ll know exactly what I think of you and it won’t be kind words. Frankly a bunch of idiot card guys acting like they know more than virologists are why so many died. Freakin ignorance like that. You clowns should be proud of yourselves.
You sir, are the clown! And I hope the National goes on. I’d love to see all these keyboard warriors in person. I’d be willing to bet you guys aren’t so quick to name calling like you are here.

What’s the point of the vaccine if you still need two masks or any mask? Are you not following the science? It’s so comical with a 99.7 survival rate. Maybe you should look into bubble suits. 😂😂😂
Old 05-02-2021, 09:37 AM
Steven

I guess Jeff Foy, you know the ER Doc, is a keyboard warrior and not someone that has any actual experience in this area...b/c if you dont like what somewhat says we can just lower ourselves to another level.

I just dont understand the absolute animosity towards the mask...is it really that big of a deal to put on? I guess everyone has a different perspective on the situation, I wasnt given a choice as a nurse that hasn't had a vacation in over a year b/c there are so many f'ing sick people. At one point, I was coming home and changing in the garage while the clothes went straight into the washer and my ass went right into the shower while my wife kept our 5 yo twins away from me. That isnt necessary anymore as we now know...but why wouldn't I do that when we were unsure? PITA and all, but this is my family.

I've also seen a coworker die...the patient she got the virus from lived. I also have seen the look in my coworkers eyes as the hospital is way past capacity and we simply "have to make the best of it". Ive had 7 patients at a time w/o an aid or any help...how f'ing safe does that sound? Again, need to make the best of it.

I just am completely missing why some people cant put on the mask...perspective and context mean a lot. I guess Im a keyboard warrior too, but I'd rather be with people who think of the larger good than those that prove they can do what they want.

S Suckow RN
Old 05-02-2021, 09:44 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
You sir, are the clown! And I hope the National goes on. I’d love to see all these keyboard warriors in person. I’d be willing to bet you guys aren’t so quick to name calling like you are here.

What’s the point of the vaccine if you still need two masks or any mask? Are you not following the science? It’s so comical with a 99.7 survival rate. Maybe you should look into bubble suits. 😂😂😂
Perhaps my question to you got lost above, do you feel doctors should wear masks or protective gear while operating? Or doctors or scientists working in a lab?
Old 05-02-2021, 09:47 AM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
I guess Jeff Foy, you know the ER Doc, is a keyboard warrior and not someone that has any actual experience in this area...b/c if you dont like what somewhat says we can just lower ourselves to another level.

I just dont understand the absolute animosity towards the mask...is it really that big of a deal to put on? I guess everyone has a different perspective on the situation, I wasnt given a choice as a nurse that hasn't had a vacation in over a year b/c there are so many f'ing sick people. At one point, I was coming home and changing in the garage while the clothes went straight into the washer and my ass went right into the shower while my wife kept our 5 yo twins away from me. That isnt necessary anymore as we now know...but why wouldn't I do that when we were unsure? PITA and all, but this is my family.

I've also seen a coworker die...the patient she got the virus from lived. I also have seen the look in my coworkers eyes as the hospital is way past capacity and we simply "have to make the best of it". Ive had 7 patients at a time w/o an aid or any help...how f'ing safe does that sound? Again, need to make the best of it.

I just am completely missing why some people cant put on the mask...perspective and context mean a lot. I guess Im a keyboard warrior too, but I'd rather be with people who think of the larger good than those that prove they can do what they want.

S Suckow RN
The phrase “keyboard warrior” went right over your head. It’s the label I designated to those that chose to call me names just for voicing my opinion. Since I choose NOT to wear a mask and NOT to get vaccinated I’m a jackass or a clown according to some. They’re keyboard warriors who like to say something in here who wouldn’t say the same thing in person.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:50 AM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Perhaps my question to you got lost above, do you feel doctors should wear masks or protective gear while operating? Or doctors or scientists working in a lab?
I’ll answer your question with a question...how come last year in California during the wildfires they told people NOT to use surgical masks to help prevent breathing in smoke. But damn they work good for viruses.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:16 AM
J Stone

Steve - my late mom was an RN and I know how she would have right in the middle of all of this, been working 7 days a week, or whatever was asked. I know firsthand how selfless most people who choose to go into the profession are. Although I didn't go in to medicine as she had hoped, I did take to heart all of the teaching she gave me on basic hygiene and healthy habits, including HOW NOT TO SPREAD GERMS AND DISEASES TO OTHERS.

That said, I want to say a big THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for what you do and let you know that I (and likely not the only one) we do fully appreciate the hard work and sacrifices you and all in your profession have endured during this very real pandemic.

I am fully vaccinated and will continue to mask up in public until it is 100% certain that there is no chance for ME spread the virus or its variants to others. If it means wearing a mask in public for another year, so be it. I'm in.

It's not about fear of "catching" COVID again. Masking is not about the mask protecting me from you, it's so that I don't unknowing spread it to others. So yeah, I'm masking up to protect anti-maskers too as I don't wish this on anyone.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:21 AM
Andy Wa.lko

Quote:
I’ll answer your question with a question...how come last year in California during the wildfires they told people NOT to use surgical masks to help prevent breathing in smoke. But damn they work good for viruses.
Because surgical masks are intended to block YOU from spreading YOUR germs, which is a completely different scenario than breathing IN particles from the air. Are there seriously people who still don't get this?

Doctors don't wear masks during surgery to keep themselves safe, they do it for the patient. Crazy concept apparently.

Last edited by hammertime; 05-02-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:28 AM
J Stone

Quote:
Actually no one TOLD us NOT to use surgical masks but because there was a shortage of surgical masks needed for, you know, those taking care of COVID patients and the like, it was ASKED that we try to save those for medical folks.

It's not like there weren't dust masks and painter's masks available at Home Depot if you wanted though supplies did get a little tight at one point.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:33 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

So is the national in peril?

Asking for a friend

Old 05-02-2021, 10:51 AM
Jeff Carlson

Food for thought for the scientifically literate:

Mask Mandates, On-Premises Dining, and COVID-19

Evidence for transmission of COVID-19 prior to symptom onset

SARS-CoV-2 Transmission From People Without COVID-19 Symptoms
Old 05-02-2021, 11:21 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Someone beat me to the answer, although I didn't know the answer anyway. I asked a direct question about you, not what happened in California last year.
Old 05-02-2021, 11:43 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Actually, I have asthma and live in LA, and during the real bad fire on Federal land a few years ago north of LA that was raining ash on my house my MD recommended N95 masks for me.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-02-2021, 09:51 PM
Ton.y Be.ll

I have been vaccinated and still choose to wear my mask in enclosed public places with strangers...I flew on a plane three weeks ago to visit my sister and the airline (Delta) still requires a mask to fly whether or not you are vaccinated

People generally shouldn't be criticized for wearing a mask, not wearing a mask, getting vaccinated or not getting vaccinated...It should be a personal decision for each adult person to make after weighing the pros/cons

My personal belief is masks (properly worn) DO work...look at all the fewer flu cases we had this flu season

Tony
Old 05-02-2021, 10:12 PM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
So is the national in peril?

Asking for a friend

I feel if it were in peril we would see it tied to a train track with a pencil thin mustached fellow beckoning an oncoming train whilst twisting said mustache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2021, 05:03 AM

I'll be setting up at the National if they have it in July. Just like I've done for the local card shows here, I'll be wearing a mask. I wore a double mask at my first post-covid show in April despite having been fully vaccinated for more than 5 weeks, but switched to a single mask this past weekend. The double mask proved extremely difficult and counterproductive over an 8 hour show. As I talked the surgical mask would move down and the cloth mask up. This resulted in my constantly fiddling with my masks and even needing to briefly remove them to fix them. Since my masks are intended to prevent me from asymptomatically transmitting to someone who is not vaccinated, I felt comfortable that the single mask would be fine this time (as vaccinated transmittal rate is so low, and transmittal rate with a surgical mask is so low, so the compounding factors mean wearing even a single mask gives a really really low chance of that happening).

I will not harass customers at my table who don't wear a mask and I won't take kindly to people at the National who harass me about wearing mine.

Thanks to all in this thread who have some science literacy, it makes this former teacher happy.
Old 05-04-2021, 12:27 PM
Rich Klein

Looks like we have a better shot at the NSCC in July than we did a couple of hours ago. I also stress not a guarantee but a much better shot than we had earlier this week

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/dept...atNSQN234u_r8Y

Regards
Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 05-04-2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 01:19 PM
Tony Gordon

Rich, you beat me to it, I was just going to post that. If you remember, the 1993 National was held at McCormick Place.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:21 PM
Josh Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gordon View Post
Rich, you beat me to it, I was just going to post that. If you remember, the 1993 National was held at McCormick Place.
Tony, Im about 20 minutes away from Rosemont, just saw this new. great to hear. hopefully we can have a national. if we have to wear masks, no biggie. just happy to have a card show!
Old 05-05-2021, 06:51 AM

Default Get permission

The Chicago auto show got permission from state officials to have their event earlier in July. Why don't the National organizers get on the ball and do that?