NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-08-2021, 11:27 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
If I owned a grading company I would not grade these. So no is my answer.
How about Stalin who has a couple of issues, or the Bowman Red Menace Mao?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:53 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

What about Marcus Garvey? He is in the 2009 Allen & Ginters set. Blatant anti-Semite. Black, but cohorted with the Klan. Wanted Blacks to move back to Africa. I believe he was also convicted of murder and they have a park in his name in NYC.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 02-08-2021, 01:00 PM
Al Wright

Unequivocally yes.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:01 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
What about Marcus Garvey? He is in the 2009 Allen & Ginters set. Blatant anti-Semite.
Well, obviously this list would go on and on if we're simply considering bad character traits. Roberto Osuna? Aroldis Chapman? Cap Anson, for that matter...
Old 02-08-2021, 01:03 PM

Plenty of people buy OJ Simpson cards. What does the hobby think of that?

Last edited by packs; 02-08-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:34 PM
Steve Birmingham

I think it's a bad precedent to not grade a card because of the subject, with a few exceptions.

You can't really have a 36 Olympic set with out Hitler. So if you won't grade one card from the set, it's a short trip to not grading the set. Which of course is also incomplete without Jesse Owens, and it's silly to not grade his card.

The alternative is only grading cards of players, public figures you like... Which would lead to some pretty epic arguments when it comes to sets of presidents cards, or the Desert shield cards (Or the non-sports related sets) or....

How many cards in say a 2000 Topps set would you not grade.
Schilling - because his politics are unpopular and he was a lousy videogame ceo?
Bonds - Because... he's Bonds?
Clemens- for similar reasons?
Whatsis name, the guy that hit his wife with a telephone?

Where do you draw that line?

Heck, we don't catalog or grade cards that are believed to be unlicensed. Unless it's Wagner.....

The exception I'd make would be for sets like the one from the early 90's that was all serial killers. When None of the subjects are worthy in any way, it does make some sense.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:30 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The cards were issued, so you have to grade them and turn a blind eye, because their job isn't to assess the worthiness of the grading subject, but to give the quality of the card a numbered designation.

The real question is, how do you feel about a person wanting to have their Hitlers graded, or 'showing off' their Nazi cards? Probably not a person I'd have a beer with.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-08-2021, 03:15 PM
�tis J�hns�n

You're a coin collector. Do you pass up a Roman coin featuring Caligula because he wasn't your kind of emperor? The most expensive cards in the Horrors of War set are the Hitler cards. Do you search for "Complete Set Minus Hitler"? I collect exhibit cards. The Exhibit Supply set completely devoted to Mussolini has been on my want list for decades.

My point is if you ONLY collect images of Caligula, Hitler and Mussolini, I'm going to steer clear of you. But that's not the same thing as having a hobby devoted to completing sets of diverse images.