NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-03-2020, 02:56 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Mark I’m out of town right now, I’ll try to get some up when I come back. I struggle like hell to get any decent sized photos on this site from my phone. So glad you started this thread. I’ll share more Brooks and Orioles items as the year goes on. Great stuff so far!
I’m with you I’ve been struggling posting pictures with my phone so I’m using a laptop to post pictures currently. Hey, let me know If the sizes I’m posting are ok. I was able to see the front of the SS Jersey, just not the back. Again, just when you have the time and are home, I’d really like to see the tagging up close and personal (you have the whole year to do it )
Old 01-03-2020, 03:13 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri17 View Post
Mark was kind enough to encourage me to post something from Campy/Rudi/Swingin' A's after my response to his original post. The Orioles and A's hooked up in a couple of classic playoff series as Mark noted near the end of Brooks' career, as represented by one of the programs shown. I have several older, "nicer" Brooks cards, but I included the one below as it is simply one of my favorite cards ever. I love the earlier Kellogg's issues and other oddball, as noted by the inclusion of the Hostess with Campy, but Rose as well. And Rudi up against the wall, well, I just had to haha. Thanks to Mark for encouraging me to add something not completely O's based. Loving this thread and look forward to seeing more.
Rob,

This is exactly what I was taking about. I’m a baseball fan at heart and get enjoyment out of not only seeing others collections, but the memories that go along with it. I probably didn’t word it as well as I should have in my original post, but didn’t just desire to see Brooks and the Orioles, but pretty much anything related (like the A’s) and players of that era and teams they played, etc. I do appreciate you posting and I hope to see more. I’m a fan of the A’s players back in the day as well. That snow cone catch was AMAZING! Hey, as long as no one mentions the Ron Swoboda catch I think we’ll be alright.

Nice Kellogg’s and Hostess panel!
Old 01-03-2020, 04:18 PM
Clint

Mark your photos are perfect. Here’s the back hopefully.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:30 PM

Mark,

I’m just seeing this thread....WAY TO GO!!!

I was just thinking about reviving the Roberto thread with some newer purchases. Looking forward to seeing some Brooks items. I’m sure there’s going to be some incredible pieces.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:01 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Mark,

I’m just seeing this thread....WAY TO GO!!!

I was just thinking about reviving the Roberto thread with some newer purchases. Looking forward to seeing some Brooks items. I’m sure there’s going to be some incredible pieces.
Mike,

Your Clemente thread is one of the main reasons for starting one. I enjoyed the daily view of the tremendous Roberto items that were posted by yourself and others. Just so you know you have a few things related to Brooks that you’ll “need” to post this year. Also, a few things Clemente wouldn’t hurt either. They are forever linked by the ‘71 Series so it all relates.

Hey, would love to view your continued pickups on the Clemente thread.

Last edited by Mark70Z; 01-03-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:41 PM
Duane Clark

Mark,

Great thread. Thanks for the kind comments regarding my signed bat. It was a steal for $40.00. I will add some T206 Baltimore players by showing a tough common, Doc Adkins. The first is an SGC 30
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (68.0 KB, 554 views)
Old 01-03-2020, 06:43 PM
Duane Clark

This one is a PSA 1.5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.6 KB, 565 views)
Old 01-03-2020, 07:04 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Mark your photos are perfect. Here’s the back hopefully.
Clint,

Maybe one day I’ll see the back of the jersey
Old 01-03-2020, 07:17 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclarkraiders View Post
Mark,

Great thread. Thanks for the kind comments regarding my signed bat. It was a steal for $40.00. I will add some T206 Baltimore players by showing a tough common, Doc Adkins. The first is an SGC 30
Duane,

My personal collecting has always revolved around Baltimore teams, Colts, Bullets, and Orioles probably because of my Baltimore roots. I don’t have much of those type items anymore, but if I had more disposable income I’d likely at least dabble into prewar. Has always been intriguing and would like some day to have some early O’s items. My focus ultimately became Brooks and displayable O’s items and it definitely stuck. Brooks was my hero growing up and just enjoy collecting items related to his career. Thank you sooo much for posting the vey COOL Baltimore T206.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:01 PM
Mike Dugan

Mark I can answer the thought of how popular Brooks still is in Arkansas. He is held in high reverence. I am a very proud member of the Brooks Robinson-George Kell Chapter of SABR.

Brooks was not just a great baseball player out of Little Rock Central High School but also a great basketball star and he played football early on. Brooks used to attend events in the state on a regular basis but his traveling days are limited from what I hear these days.

I never missed a chance to see him in person though I never saw him play.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:37 PM

I was thinking it would be nice for someone to try to contact Brooks and let him know about this thread Mark has started . Not sure if he would have interest or follow along but it would be nice to share it with him.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:41 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Day 4 (January 4, 2020 – 004)

The 1962 Orioles Salada-Junket shield with coins. The coins were available in Salada Tea and Junket Dessert products. I think in order to get the plastic shields you had to send away for them and once received you could display your team’s coins within the shield. Pretty neat item.

1962 Orioles Salada shield with coins included.

Day 4 a.jpg

1962 Salada coin #40

Day 4 b coin.jpg

Day 4 c coin back.jpg
Old 01-04-2020, 03:01 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Mark I can answer the thought of how popular Brooks still is in Arkansas. He is held in high reverence. I am a very proud member of the Brooks Robinson-George Kell Chapter of SABR.

Brooks was not just a great baseball player out of Little Rock Central High School but also a great basketball star and he played football early on. Brooks used to attend events in the state on a regular basis but his traveling days are limited from what I hear these days.

I never missed a chance to see him in person though I never saw him play.
Mike,

Thanks so much for the insight concerning Arkansas and the general feeling towards Brooks still to this day. Can you elaborate on what the Brooks Robinson George Kell Chapter of SABR is all about? Would enjoy hearing what that entails.

On Day 1 I mentioned a magazine, Baseball 1971 Yearbook, with the article entitled, “Brooks Robinson’s Greatest Decision” which discusses a tough decision ultimately not to continue playing football which Brooks, along with his family, decide for him to pursue baseball. If I can recall correctly the article is taken out of the Jack Zanger book The Brooks Robinson Story.

Sorry you didn't get the chance to see Brooks play, but he's just as great of a person as he was as a player; he was the best defender, at any position, in baseball.

Last edited by Mark70Z; 01-04-2020 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:11 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
I was thinking it would be nice for someone to try to contact Brooks and let him know about this thread Mark has started . Not sure if he would have interest or follow along but it would be nice to share it with him.
Scott,

Would be cool. Of course if he'd ever followed along I'd have to get someone else to start writing the commentary, instead of a hack like myself. Also, someone with skills at the computer thing to post uniform, non-blurry, proper sized scans of Brooks items. So, basically, in a nutshell, someone else start a NEW thread on Brooks and the Orioles for Brooks to follow...
Old 01-04-2020, 09:01 AM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Day 4 (January 4, 2020 – 004)

The 1962 Orioles Salada-Junket shield with coins. The coins were available in Salada Tea and Junket Dessert products. I think in order to get the plastic shields you had to send away for them and once received you could display your team’s coins within the shield. Pretty neat item.

1962 Orioles Salada shield with coins included.

Attachment 379492

1962 Salada coin #40

Attachment 379494
Mark,

Nice looking shield. They are hard to find in nice shape. Mine has a small crack along one corner.

The 1962 Salada set is very interesting. It was originally issued as 180 coins (1-180) and the backs are different from the 200 coin back in your scan. With the NL expansion in 1962, Salada added coins of the new teams and added/subtracted some players from other teams (181-221). Additionally, a bunch of variations were created because of trades, etc. I have found the 180 backs much harder to find.

What does this all mean for Orioles collectors. The original 180 set has 10 coins per team. The Orioles set includes Steve Barber (P), Jim Busby(OF), Ron Hansen (SS) and Marv Breeding (2B). The second printing replaced these coins with Russ Snyder (OF), Chuck Estrada (P), and Marv Breeding (SS). Johnny Temple (2B) was a Cleveland Indian in the original set and added as an Oriole for the second printing. Gentile, B.Robinson, Triandos, Pappas, Williams and Brandt were issued with both printings. Mark's shield has coins from the second printing. Two of the holy grails for Salada collectors are also Orioles, the Dick Williams (Name on right side) and the Jackie Brandt (Orioles instead of the common Oriole version).

One common problem with 1962 Salada coins is the ease in switching the paper insert from one coin to another. All of the Orioles were issued in orange, so any Oriole in another color has been swapped out.

There is also a Canadian version of coins issued by Shirriff Potato Chips. I don't have access to my coins currently. Maybe someone can post a back for everyone to see. The Orioles in the Shirriff set are the same as the second printing. So if you see a Steve Barber or Jim Busby Shirriff coin listed, it was swapped out. They were not issued with the Shirriff set.

Hope I haven't been too long winded, but this is a fascinating set for any type collector.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:20 AM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Another area of collecting I love are the team issued postcards the Orioles have been printing since 1954. It is often hard to pinpoint an exact year for some of the older postcards, because the Orioles would print them as needed. Some players weren't printed each year if there were enough left over from the previous season. The Orioles postcards are B&W from 1954-1969 and are in color from 1970 to present, with a few exceptions. Players often used these for autograph requests through the mail, so finding ones that have been mailed are quite common. The more popular a player with fans, the more postcards printed and thus easier to find. Fringe players or players traded during the season tend to be much tougher and on everyone's wantlists.

The first postcards printed of Brooks Robinson were from 1957-59. I just love the team issued stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 195759 Postcards 14.jpg (65.7 KB, 543 views)
Old 01-04-2020, 09:24 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson - Shirriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltOrioles View Post
Mark,

Nice looking shield. They are hard to find in nice shape. Mine has a small crack along one corner.

The 1962 Salada set is very interesting. It was originally issued as 180 coins (1-180) and the backs are different from the 200 coin back in your scan. With the NL expansion in 1962, Salada added coins of the new teams and added/subtracted some players from other teams (181-221). Additionally, a bunch of variations were created because of trades, etc. I have found the 180 backs much harder to find.

What does this all mean for Orioles collectors. The original 180 set has 10 coins per team. The Orioles set includes Steve Barber (P), Jim Busby(OF), Ron Hansen (SS) and Marv Breeding (2B). The second printing replaced these coins with Russ Snyder (OF), Chuck Estrada (P), and Marv Breeding (SS). Johnny Temple (2B) was a Cleveland Indian in the original set and added as an Oriole for the second printing. Gentile, B.Robinson, Triandos, Pappas, Williams and Brandt were issued with both printings. Mark's shield has coins from the second printing. Two of the holy grails for Salada collectors are also Orioles, the Dick Williams (Name on right side) and the Jackie Brandt (Orioles instead of the common Oriole version).

One common problem with 1962 Salada coins is the ease in switching the paper insert from one coin to another. All of the Orioles were issued in orange, so any Oriole in another color has been swapped out.

There is also a Canadian version of coins issued by Shirriff Potato Chips. I don't have access to my coins currently. Maybe someone can post a back for everyone to see. The Orioles in the Shirriff set are the same as the second printing. So if you see a Steve Barber or Jim Busby Shirriff coin listed, it was swapped out. They were not issued with the Shirriff set.

Hope I haven't been too long winded, but this is a fascinating set for any type collector.
Alan,

I definitely appreciate all the information that you provide and are providing. Of course now I'm going to have to locate a 180 set version of Brooks. If someone has one, doesn't have to be Brooks I assume, to see the back of this Salada version.

Below is the '62 Shirriff coin back

Sherriff.jpg
Old 01-04-2020, 10:39 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Another area of collecting I love are the team issued postcards the Orioles have been printing since 1954. It is often hard to pinpoint an exact year for some of the older postcards, because the Orioles would print them as needed. Some players weren't printed each year if there were enough left over from the previous season. The Orioles postcards are B&W from 1954-1969 and are in color from 1970 to present, with a few exceptions. Players often used these for autograph requests through the mail, so finding ones that have been mailed are quite common. The more popular a player with fans, the more postcards printed and thus easier to find. Fringe players or players traded during the season tend to be much tougher and on everyone's wantlists.

The first postcards printed of Brooks Robinson were from 1957-59. I just love the team issued stuff.
Alan,

Do you have a checklist with all the Orioles team issue postcards? Weren't you working on that project, with pictures included?

When I was young I really didn't know a lot about team issue postcards even though I saw a few back then, but really didn't know what they were. I do have a few now and they are some of my favorite items. The Brooks you pictured, the one with the rookie card photo, I've been looking for an unsigned version for I don't know how long now. I've seen one, but it wasn't available for sale; maybe I'll find one some day. Is the one you listed been sent through the mail? If so, what is the date of mailing?
Old 01-04-2020, 11:40 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default 1/1 Prototypes

Here are two 1/1 prototypes of a Brooks Southland statue that was never issued.

First is an unpainted solid resin, the other is a wax statue that was used in the mold making for the statue.

Wish they would have gone ahead and actually issued it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1497.jpg (61.5 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1498.jpg (70.3 KB, 544 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1499.jpg (61.4 KB, 533 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1500.jpg (74.7 KB, 525 views)
Old 01-04-2020, 11:47 AM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
Alan,

Do you have a checklist with all the Orioles team issue postcards? Weren't you working on that project, with pictures included?

When I was young I really didn't know a lot about team issue postcards even though I saw a few back then, but really didn't know what they were. I do have a few now and they are some of my favorite items. The Brooks you pictured, the one with the rookie card photo, I've been looking for an unsigned version for I don't know how long now. I've seen one, but it wasn't available for sale; maybe I'll find one some day. Is the one you listed been sent through the mail? If so, what is the date of mailing?
Ed Allan from Maryland compiled a checklist of Orioles postcards with the help of other collectors, probably 20 years ago, that most people use as the standard. He continues to update it each year with new issues and discoveries of older unknown postcards. To date, I believe there are 2,863
different ones from 1954-2019. Every year we cross our fingers that the Orioles continue to print them. On Mondays and Thursdays, during the season, the Orioles have local old timers (Orioles alumni) signing autographs before the game. Postcards are printed for those players, but they are in a little different format from the regular issue. A lot of the same players appear each year and the Orioles tend to use the same postcard over and over, so there aren't many new alumni postcards each year. Here's a link to Ed's website with some of the recent issues. At one time, he was selling copies of his checklist, including pictures, upon request. I have one up to 2012 and have been adding my own updated pages since then. I don't know if he is still printing the book or not.

http://edallan.atwebpages.com/

Mark,
I'll gladly send you any info you would like or maybe you need to make a trip to Sarasota during spring training for a game and we can catch up then.

The autographed Brooks Robinson postcard is postmarked Aug 14, 1957. It is harder to find than the other pose, in my opinion. Again, that could be that Brooks wasn't as well known early in his career and didn't get the fan mail that some of the others got.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:37 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Here are two 1/1 prototypes of a Brooks Southland statue that was never issued.

First is an unpainted solid resin, the other is a wax statue that was used in the mold making for the statue.

Wish they would have gone ahead and actually issued it!
Fred,

I was hoping you would post pictures of your two prototypes of the Brooks Southland statue. I don’t know if you recall, but several years ago you provided pictures of them and I saved them somewhere. I remember those being the coolest items and wondered why in the would they wouldn’t have produced them. They look great! Hey, if you have an opportunity to post a picture of the Brooks prototypes displayed on your shelf with your other figures I’d love to view.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:46 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Mark,
I'll gladly send you any info you would like or maybe you need to make a trip to Sarasota during spring training for a game and we can catch up then.

The autographed Brooks Robinson postcard is postmarked Aug 14, 1957. It is harder to find than the other pose, in my opinion. Again, that could be that Brooks wasn't as well known early in his career and didn't get the fan mail that some of the others got.
When I get a chance I'll request the information on the postcards. I know I still have the information you sent me on some of the Brooks postcards and the slight variations.

I need to get down toe Sarasota to catch some spring training. It's tough with my daughter still doing All Star Cheer and Dance. They have so many competitions that I'm travelling so much and run out of vacation. By the way where are you currently, home (Maine) or are you out and about?

Thanks for the postmark information on the Brooks postcard. That postcard had to be first produced in 1957 and I guess the O's could have kept producing into other years. Is the other Brooks postcard first produced in 1959?
Old 01-04-2020, 03:48 PM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Quote:
I need to get down toe Sarasota to catch some spring training. It's tough with my daughter still doing All Star Cheer and Dance. They have so many competitions that I'm travelling so much and run out of vacation. By the way where are you currently, home (Maine) or are you out and about?

Thanks for the postmark information on the Brooks postcard. That postcard had to be first produced in 1957 and I guess the O's could have kept producing into other years. Is the other Brooks postcard first produced in 1959?
We are in Sarasota until May. I'm not sure if the Brooks postcard is 1959 or earlier. It is part of the group that is generally classified as 1957-59, since many of the postcards were printed over a range of years and have been found with postmarks from different years. Old time postcard collectors, Dan Even and Bob Thing, kept some records of when they received certain cards from the Orioles, while others as best guess estimates. I don't believe there were any Brooks postcards before 1957, because the style before 1956 was much different (glossy photo postcard).
Old 01-04-2020, 04:07 PM
Mike Reid

Mark: great thread! Finally received this back today. I will also post it in the 1964 Stand Up thread.

C49E79EC-2683-4048-B747-EA4BA27F8381.jpg
Old 01-04-2020, 04:11 PM
Tim Odeen

https://deadspin.com/what-i-found-at...tio-1826838160

Saw this on my phone today. Made me think of this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 01-04-2020, 04:12 PM

Just a side note about the Team Issue Postcards. Brook’s middle name is Calbert not Colbert. Those prototypes statues are so cool. It’s a mystery why the manufacture went that far without putting the out.
Also Tim thanks for posting the story about the son going through his fathers Brooks collection after he died. It was a great read.

Last edited by quitcrab; 01-04-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:10 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballcrazy62 View Post
Mark: great thread! Finally received this back today. I will also post it in the 1964 Stand Up thread.
Mike,

“FINALLY”, but that is worth the wait. Nice bold autograph on a nice looking standup. Think it looks great! Thanks so much for posting the auto for all to view.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:13 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
https://deadspin.com/what-i-found-at...tio-1826838160

Saw this on my phone today. Made me think of this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Tim,

Thanks for attaching the link to the article. That was an interesting read.
Old 01-04-2020, 07:56 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:

Alan, I totally agree with you when it comes to the team issue postcards. I absolutely love collecting those. Very under appreciated in collecting world if you ask me.

Last edited by jb67; 01-05-2020 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Corrected Name
Old 01-04-2020, 09:37 PM
Alan Strout

Quote:
Alan,

I definitely appreciate all the information that you provide and are providing. Of course now I'm going to have to locate a 180 set version of Brooks. If someone has one, doesn't have to be Brooks I assume, to see the back of this Salada version.
Here is a scan of the Salada 180 back coin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Salada 180.jpg (39.6 KB, 507 views)
Old 01-05-2020, 03:46 AM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Here is a scan of the Salada 180 back coin.
Thanks for the scan of the Salada 180 back; looks very different than the 200 version.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:54 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Day 5 (January 5, 2020 – 005)

I thought the program for “Thanks Brooks” day would be a good idea for Day 5. With this I’m “sure” you’re thinking, how organized this guy is posting a “5” on Day 5 (or maybe you’re thinking how smart; I’m sure you’re thinking something… ). Anyway, I remember the year of Lou Brock (David W) thread where he starts off at the beginning of Lou’s career and goes through his career like a well-oiled machine; this thread will not be like that, at all, and will surely be a hodgepodge of unorganized mass mayhem, but that Day 5 was something to remember…

Day 5 a Number 5.jpg

By the way #5 is my favorite number…anyone have an off the wall guess at my favorite color?!?

I’ll likely post more concerning “Thanks Brooks” day, but just a few things to mention about this day in history. Brooks saw no need for him to be celebrated. The O’s, on several occasions, had shown the spotlight on him. General Manager Hank Peters and Public Relations Director Bob Brown had to talk Brooks into it saying it was for the fans. Brooks ultimately agreed on the condition that all proceeds he received would be donated to charity (Johns Hopkins Children’s Center and the Multiple Sclerosis Foundation).

One last note about “Thanks Brooks” day (for now); at the game Rawlings gave Brooks 16 replacement Gold Glove awards since he had given or donated almost all of them (with the exception of, I think, two). Of course he ultimately sold the 16 Rawlings replacement GG awards in a 2015 Heritage Auction, and donated 100% of the proceeds to charity. Brooks said prior to the auction, “I’ve always tried to teach them (his children) to give back, and so that’s what I’ve decided to do.”

I’ve included a program that advertised the upcoming “Thanks Brooks” day.

1977 Orioles program

Day 5 b 2.jpg
Old 01-05-2020, 09:01 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Hi Mark:

I just saw this thread and am so very pleased you're doing it....It's ironic that back in 1982-83, I partly got started on a Cal Ripken Jr. collection because I couldn't afford a lot of the Brooks Robinson stuff that was out there...However over these many years, I have managed to pick up some Brooks things here and there (and we did give our youngest son the middle name of Brooks).

I've posted these on the Board in other topics but in case you missed them:

Here is the Orioles line up card from Game 3 of the 1970 W.S. that manager Earl Weaver had taped to the dugout wall (an usher gave it to a fan after the game was over). It was the game that not only Dave McNally hit a Grand Slam, becoming the first and only only pitcher to do so, but also the game in which Brooks made that diving catch to his left off Johnny Bench, which has become an iconic photo to this day..

This is the pitching chart that was kept my Scott McGregor on 04/19/77 vs. Cleveland, which most Brooks fans will remember him hitting an exciting 3 run Walk Off HR in the 10th inning, which ultimately was his last (which he signed for me a few years ago):

I'm looking forward to your posts as well as to see what other people have.

Happy New Year

Bill
Old 01-05-2020, 11:56 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson AND the BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for posting your AWESOME items. Does it get any better than an Orioles ‘70 World Series line up card? Might as well stop the thread at Day 5 and just pack it in . It was a good run while it lasted...

Well, I may want to truck along a few more days. Just remember I titled the thread on purpose. Brooks Robinson AND the Baltimore Orioles. Also, as a side note post anything “remotely” associated; that can cover a lot of ground, but definitely includes the Ripken family.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:26 PM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

Here is my contribution for today, but I'm afraid I need some help identifying this bobblehead. I picked it up 10-15 years ago, but haven't found anyone that has seen it before. I'm guessing it's from the 90's and it is fairly heavy. Some people I've talked to believe it's a custom, which is quite possible. However, both the Orioles on the shirt and Brooks Robinson on the base are raised up and not just painted on. Cool bobblehead that Brooks autographed before I got it. Anyone with any info is appreciated. Someday, maybe I can ask Brooks himself if he knows anything about it. There is nothing to identify either the manufacturer or a sponsor. Bobblehead collectors HELP!!!

Brooks Robinson (Unknown).jpg

Really love the number of people contributing and enjoying the thread. Mark, very glad you got the ball rolling.

Last edited by BaltOrioles; 01-06-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:27 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
This is the pitching chart that was kept my Scott McGregor on 04/19/77 vs. Cleveland, which most Brooks fans will remember him hitting an exciting 3 run Walk Off HR in the 10th inning, which ultimately was his last (which he signed for me a few years ago):

I'm looking forward to your posts as well as to see what other people have.

Bill
Bill,

This is a nice piece where I think you added to it by getting Brooks to sign it with the last HR and date. You ARE a Brooks collector
Old 01-05-2020, 03:42 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Here my contribution for today, but I'm afraid I need some help identifying this bobblehead. I picked it up 10-15 years ago, but haven't found anyone that has seen it before. I'm guessing it's from the 90's and it is fairly heavy. Some people I've talked to believe it's a custom, which is quite possible. However, both the Orioles on the shirt and Brooks Robinson on the base are raised up and not just painted on. Cool bobblehead that Brooks autographed before I got it. Anyone with any info is appreciated. Someday, maybe I can ask Brooks himself if he knows anything about it. There is nothing to identify either the manufacturer or a sponsor. Bobblehead collectors HELP!!!

Really love the number of people contributing and enjoying the thread. Mark, very glad you got the ball rolling.
It looks like a custom, but if so that be tough since the Orioles is raised and the Brooks Robinson is raised as you stated. If it’s not a custom I don’t have a clue on it since I have not seen another like it. Hopefully we’ll have a bobblehead expert on here to reply.

Some great items being shown so far in my view. The reason for starting the thread was to hopefully have collectors engaged and take part (not just O’s fans). Hope it continues thru the year.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:13 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson and the Baltimore Orioles

Day 6 (January 6, 2020 – 006)

Mid 70’s Baltimore Orioles caricature, “Be a birdwatcher”, poster. The original art, made into this poster, was by an artist Ghee. Ghee, a local artist, did the artwork that was pictured on one of their official scorecards in ’74 as well picturing the Gold Glove winners (Belanger, Blair, Grich and Robinson). I used to see the poster often when I was younger, but don’t see it very often anymore. The poster, at least to me, screams the 70’s.

Day 6 a.jpg

I found the ’74 Scorecard as well so might as well picture the thing…

Day 6 b part 2 resize.jpg
Old 01-06-2020, 01:34 AM
M@rk Comer

Default Brooks Robinson

Posted for Clint (ksfarmboy)

71-72 salesman sample jersey by Rawlings

Brooks 1 Front (2).jpg

Brooks 1 back (2).jpg
Old 01-06-2020, 04:11 AM
Mike Magee

Good morning, I'm very much enjoying this thread and just wanted to share a few of the Brooks items that I've collected over the years. In 1996, Brooks was the guest of honor when they opened a Target store in White Marsh, MD. I asked him to sign a Rawlings ad I purchased for the occasion. It was my first time meeting him and the first Brooks item I ever owned.

http://net54baseball.com/attachment....1&d=1578308046

I've also attached photos of two of my favorite Brooks pieces I've managed to acquire since that time, a 1972 Topps Candy Lid and a 1962 Post Cereal complete box flat (not the one that was in the latest REA auction).

http://net54baseball.com/attachment....1&d=1578308962

http://net54baseball.com/attachment....1&d=1578308962
Old 01-06-2020, 07:14 AM

Default Brooks

Brooks.jpg

In the hot Baltimore summer of 1975 my mom called me in from outside to tell me I had to go to the mall for back to school shopping. You can imagine I didn't want to go and leave my friends as we enjoyed the last few days of summer vacation. We went to Hochschild's department store and on the 2nd floor sat Brooks Robinson signing autographs for kids. I can remember him asking my name.That was about it! From that point on I was a huge Brooks fan. When I got home I showed every kid in the neighborhood. What a great memory!

Last edited by quitcrab; 01-06-2020 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:45 AM
Alan Strout

Default Brooks Robinson

A few more Brooks Robinson team issued Orioles postcards from 1961-1964.

1961 Team Issued Postcards

1961 Postcards 04.jpg

1962 Team Issued Postcards

1962 Postcards 06.jpg

1963 Issue Issued Postcards

1963 Postcards 08.jpg

1961-1964 Thin Paper Team Issue with facsimile autographs

196164 Postcards (Thin) 02.jpg
Old 01-06-2020, 09:21 AM

Default Brooks Movie

brooks movie..jpg

Had to post this one... Never have watched the 8 mm film but I know how the movie ends!
Old 01-06-2020, 10:13 AM
Bob Andrews

IMG_5224c.jpg

Lots and lots of great posts in this thread. I have quite a bit of Brooks & Orioles stuff that I will kick in as we go. I need to get my scanner cranked and take a few photos.

The display items here are on my shelves in my hobby room/office. The photo is one Brooks sent out of the blue when my daughter was born in 1987. My aunt in Baltimore sent him a note at his Crown Oil office and he contacted her for my address.

IMG.jpg
Old 01-06-2020, 11:59 AM
John

Here are a few Brooks and O's items sitting in one of my cases...will share more later

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2020, 01:28 PM
Mike

I was born in Highlandtown just west of Patterson Park. When I was in the second grade, my family moved to just south of Memorial Stadium. With the bedroom window open due to no A/C, listening To Chuck T. do the Bird Games, I could hear the roar from the stadium a beat ahead of hearing it on the Radio (WBAL perhaps?). Living so close to the Stadium came with the added benefit of seeing various Orioles (and Colts) driving through the neighborhood, including Brooks and Johnny U. That is one of the sharpest memories for me from my childhood. I met Brooks a couple of times as an adult and he did not disappoint the little boy in me that bubbled to the surface, no matter how hard I tried to be "cool".

I am at work as I type this and have little to add to the thread but....This is my Wallpaper on this computer. To an Oriole fan, it needs no explanation.

2brooksie.jpg
Old 01-06-2020, 02:02 PM

Nice post! Chuck Thompson was on WBAL. If you never read his book “ Ain’t the beer cold “ pick it up. It’s a good read .
Old 01-06-2020, 03:03 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripfan008 View Post
Good morning, I'm very much enjoying this thread and just wanted to share a few of the Brooks items that I've collected over the years. In 1996, Brooks was the guest of honor when they opened a Target store in White Marsh, MD. I asked him to sign a Rawlings ad I purchased for the occasion. It was my first time meeting him and the first Brooks item I ever owned.

I've also attached photos of two of my favorite Brooks pieces I've managed to acquire since that time, a 1972 Topps Candy Lid and a 1962 Post Cereal complete box flat (not the one that was in the latest REA auction).
Mike,

I like to pick up ads myself with Brooks pictured. Your Rawlings The Big 8 ad is a nice one especially since you had the opportunity to meet Brooks and have him sign the piece for you. Also, it includes some pretty decent ball players as well.

The next two pieces I don't have in my Brooks collection. I do have part of the cereal box, but not the full Post Corn Flakes box. Yours looks, from the pictures, to be in wonderful shape. Now the 1972 Topps Candy Lid has been on my want list for a while. One came up recently, but I just couldn't get past the crease across the lid; just took away from the piece in my view. Yours of course is AWESOME!

By the way it doesn't hurt to post some of your Ripken collection

Thanks so much for sharing part of your collection.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:07 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcrab View Post
Attachment 379815

In the hot Baltimore summer of 1975 my mom called me in from outside to tell me I had to go to the mall for back to school shopping. You can imagine I didn't want to go and leave my friends as we enjoyed the last few days of summer vacation. We went to Hochschild's department store and on the 2nd floor sat Brooks Robinson signing autographs for kids. I can remember him asking my name.That was about it! From that point on I was a huge Brooks fan. When I got home I showed every kid in the neighborhood. What a great memory!
Scott,

Love the Hochschild's piece, but enjoy the background story even better! That will make you a Brooks fan for life...
Old 01-06-2020, 03:28 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
A few more Brooks Robinson team issued Orioles postcards from 1961-1964.

1961 Team Issued Postcards

1962 Team Issued Postcards

1963 Issue Issued Postcards

1961-1964 Thin Paper Team Issue with facsimile autographs
Alan,

I know there are several in your grouping that I don't have; likely most of them. The postcards from those years are real tough to find and rarely do I ever see them for sale. The first time I saw them is when you showed them to me; didn't even know they existed...

Please keep an eye out on Brooks postcards for me since you already have them all!