NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-25-2018, 03:39 PM
Barry Sloate

Default Christmas Day Trivia

I read this this morning and thought it was so bizarre I had to share:

What major league franchise has never had a future Hall of Famer in its lineup, not even for a single game?
Old 12-25-2018, 04:13 PM
David Kathman

Colorado Rockies?
Old 12-25-2018, 04:19 PM
Barry Sloate

That's correct David. Over 4000 games played without a single appearance of a HOFer. But with Todd Helton soon eligible, that will of course end.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:40 PM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

....And soon they will all have a ring, Go Rockies!!! Merry Christmas All
Old 12-25-2018, 05:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
That's correct David. Over 4000 games played without a single appearance of a HOFer. But with Todd Helton soon eligible, that will of course end.
Of course? Larry Walker didn't make it, I think it's far from certain for Helton. Indeed I would say more likely not any year soon.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-25-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:04 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Of course? Larry Walker didn't make it, I think it's far from certain for Helton.
Walker should have made it, and Helton's stats are even better. And need I say both are equal or superior to Harold Baines.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Walker should have made it, and Helton's stats are even better. And need I say both are equal or superior to Harold Baines.
Coors Field factor. Major issue for both IMO. Helton also did little after age 30. 5 AS teams, highest MVP vote 5th. Meh. I think this year we'll see Rivera, Halladay and probably Edgar.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-25-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:14 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Coors Field factor. Major issue for both IMO. Helton also did little after age 30. 5 AS teams, highest MVP vote 5th. Meh. I think this year we'll see Rivera, Halladay and probably Edgar.
Helton did tail off at the end, but some of his stats are awesome. He finished at .316 with over 2500 hits, 1400 RBI's, and 592 doubles. From 2000-2004, he batted about .349 with 250 doubles, an average of 50 a year! Yes, it's Coors field, but some of those numbers are world beaters.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

42/147/.372 and he finishes 5th in the MVP. I think people rightly attributed much of it to Coors.

Look at the table for "Neutralized Batting" here. Very very revealing IMO.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...to01-bat.shtml

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-25-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:37 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Dale Murphy too.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 12-25-2018, 05:44 PM
Barry Sloate

Well, the point of this thread was that the Rockies have never had a HOFer. So if you are right that he doesn't get in, the anomaly will last a little longer.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:57 PM

Default Why Not

the Seattle Pilots also?
Old 12-25-2018, 06:01 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

I would argue that no team has had a HOFer in the lineup, because all HOFers have been inducted well after their last at bat.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:06 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I would argue that no team has had a HOFer in the lineup, because all HOFers have been inducted well after their last at bat.
Anyone who voted this dude the #1 poster may wish to reconsider.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:35 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith H. Thompson View Post
the Seattle Pilots also?
But the Milwaukee Brewers had several. I guess that disqualifies Seattle.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:37 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith H. Thompson View Post
Why not the Seattle Pilots also?
Well, the original question said “what franchise”, and the Milwaukee Brewers were/are the same franchise as the Seattle Pilots. If you want to go there, the 1961-1971 Washington Senators never had a future HOFer in their lineup either, but the Texas Rangers have had several, starting with Fergie Jenkins.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:10 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Coors Field factor. Major issue for both IMO.

You can't penalize a player because of where they play can you?

Do Red Sox players get penalized for their small park or lefty Yankee hitters and the stadiums friendly short porch?
Old 12-25-2018, 07:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
You can't penalize a player because of where they play can you?

Do Red Sox players get penalized for their small park or lefty Yankee hitters and the stadiums friendly short porch?
Not a matter of penalizing him, a matter of realistically assessing his ability. Coors as I understand it is by far the most advantageous park for hitters that skews stats.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...e-the-rockies/

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-25-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 07:47 PM
Larry

Quote:
Not if they weigh his home/road splits as heavily as they did Larry Walker--a good to very good player on the road, great player in the thin air, large outfield of Coors. 1.048 OPS, 227 HR, .345 BA, 859 RBI at home; .855 OPS, .287 BA, 142 HR (approximately one every 8 games, or 20-21 per season), 547 RBI (about 80 per season) on the road.

Best holiday wishes,

Larry
Old 12-25-2018, 08:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Some context.

https://twitter.com/grantbrisbee/sta...263490?lang=en

Old 12-25-2018, 09:17 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Hof

I guess no one figured in home field advantages and road splits for the first 175 players inducted into the HOF.

Maybe Chuck Klein and Mel Ott should be re-evaluated. But if they did, they had best look at all the ballparks that every great player played in, being careful to penalize them for playing wherever they played.

Or better yet, can’t we just celebrate that Helton indeed produced those stats (as did Walker) and admit that he was a great hitter overall?
He is comparable to dozens of other HOF players.

As it appears to be getting increasingly easier to get inducted, I think Todd will get in...and the trivia guys will need to find a different angle

I also hope some other great candidates get recognized. As a HOF collector, I don’t mind adding more cards to my collection. I doubt players like Baines ‘s cards will set me back like Speaker or Grove.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 12-25-2018, 09:43 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Quote:
Anyone who voted this dude the #1 poster may wish to reconsider.
My argument is factual and not refuted. Mr. Spaeth’s counter simply resorts to an ad hominem attack. Mr. Spaeth cannot name one HOFer with an at bat after their Hall of Fame induction.

And for what it’s worth, Mr. Sloate’s trivia fails somewhere between a rocky road and a slippery slope.

A summary judgement in my favor seems appropriate. All in favor?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:22 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Mel Ott probably had an at bat or two in 'Field of Dreams.'

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:44 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
That's fine.

Again, I don't believe in penalizing a player based on where they play.

The Rangers park had the highest run ratio last year and Cincinnati's park had the highest home run ratio for park factors.

To " level " the field, MLB should have a humidor for those parks too. On the opposite end, the Mets, the A's, the Marlins, the Mariners, and the Dodgers should ask for juiced balls at home games.

Not arguing with you Peter as I enjoy your comments and insight.

Lou
Old 12-26-2018, 12:36 AM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
I guess no one figured in home field advantages and road splits for the first 175 players inducted into the HOF.

Maybe Chuck Klein and Mel Ott should be re-evaluated. But if they did, they had best look at all the ballparks that every great player played in, being careful to penalize them for playing wherever they played...
This goes to show how a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous and misleading in failing completely to show the whole picture. To quote a couple of expert sabermathematicians far more knowledgeable than any of us, Jay Jaffe and Bill James, on Ott and Klein respectively, please see the following:

First, Jaffe on Mel Ott (clearly one of the top 25 major league players of all time, carrying a well deserved ranking of the 4th best rightfielder of all time by both): "[While Ott] hit 323 homers there [in the Polo Grounds] compared to 188 elsewhere,...HIS OVERALL RATE STATS WEREN'T ALL THAT DIFFERENT (.297/.422/.558 at home, .311/.408/.510 elsewhere)[emphasis added]." A career .918 OPS over 20 years (here, ON THE ROAD, NO LESS, LET ALONE OVERALL), leading the NL in HR's six times, and 12 All Star appearances will get ANYONE elected to the HOF unless they kill the President!

James on Chuck Klein's abilities: "[T]here's just too much. You can't ignore THAT MUCH statistical evidence. Yes, I know the Baker Bowl was a hitter's park. A whole lot of other people played there, and they didn't hit .386. If you ignore the .386 you've got the triple crown year to deal with, or the time he hit 59 doubles, or the two straight seasons of 40 home runs, or the 170 RBI. He had hit totals of 219, 250, 200, 226, and 223. Klein had 44 assists in 1930, a modern record, and people would say, 'Oh yeah, but see in the Baker Bowl he could play so shallow that sometimes he'd throw people out at first,' so we have to ignore that too...
You just can't ignore THAT MUCH statistical evidence...I've become convinced that Klein was [at] the level of unquestioned excellence but marginal greatness...[I]t is obvious from the literature of the time that Klein WAS regarded, while active, as a great player; maybe not as great as Ott and Waner, but in the same group. He was one of those players...who was always the focus of attention wherever he went. The headline over every team he played for at the end of the season was always going to read 'Klein has great season' or 'Klein doesn't have great season [emphasis original]."

Indeed, many good hitters played for the Phillies at the Baker Bowl. NONE, ABSOLUTELY NONE, hit like he did for as long as he did! Walker and Helton would be hard pressed to say the same. Check out the career stats, just by way of a few examples among many, Tulowitski: .310 BA and .918 OPS at home, .269 BA, .791 road. And Carlos Gonzalez: .323 and .974 at Coors; .251 and .728 on the road. Never in the history of the game has the home field total offensive advantage been so in favor of hitters playing at home in one ballpark--Coors field! Always evaluate Colorado players on their road record, plus a little extra for a typical home field advantage, but that "little extra" doesn't even begin to approach what playing at Coors bestows upon them!

Klein and Ott were at least intentionally taking advantage of what their ballparks offered them, which is what they were supposed to have been doing. Walker and Helton, in contrast, were by comparison dropped off at a place where they could essentially play their home games in little league as full grown adults! What would Joey Gallo have been able to do playing his home games at the Baker Bowl? .228 and 50 HR's?

No one is "penalizing anyone" for where they play, but instead, are simply taking home/away stats as an additional factor in measuring how really good or great a given player ACTUALLY was.

'Nuff said,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 12-26-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:54 AM
Troy Rambo

I’m not sure it’s a slam dunk to say Helton was superior to Baines over a career. From a batting perspective, Baines had more hits, home runs and RBI so at least there’s an argument that would say Baines was as good or better than Helton. Plus Helton’s numbers are at least somewhat bloated by playing at Coors Field.

I’m not suggesting I don’t like Helton. I’m just not quite sure why there is so much shade being thrown at Baines. It’s not like he was Mario Mendoza. Nearly 2,900 hits and over 1,600 RBI are pretty solid numbers.

Last edited by trambo; 12-26-2018 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:35 AM
Barry Sloate

If a ballpark is known to be tough to hit in, wouldn't it be fair to say that all pitchers' records would be skewed? At some point, we have to accept the fact the every ballplayer has some advantages and disadvantages based on his home park.

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-26-2018 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
This goes to show how a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous and misleading in failing completely to show the whole picture. To quote a couple of expert sabermathematicians far more knowledgeable than any of us, Jay Jaffe and Bill James, on Ott and Klein respectively, please see the following:

First, Jaffe on Mel Ott (clearly one of the top 25 major league players of all time, carrying a well deserved ranking of the 4th best rightfielder of all time by both): "[While Ott] hit 323 homers there [in the Polo Grounds] compared to 188 elsewhere,...HIS OVERALL RATE STATS WEREN'T ALL THAT DIFFERENT (.297/.422/.558 at home, .311/.408/.510 elsewhere)[emphasis added]." A career .918 OPS over 20 years (here, ON THE ROAD, NO LESS, LET ALONE OVERALL), leading the NL in HR's six times, and 12 All Star appearances will get ANYONE elected to the HOF unless they kill the President!

James on Chuck Klein's abilities: "[T]here's just too much. You can't ignore THAT MUCH statistical evidence. Yes, I know the Baker Bowl was a hitter's park. A whole lot of other people played there, and they didn't hit .386. If you ignore the .386 you've got the triple crown year to deal with, or the time he hit 59 doubles, or the two straight seasons of 40 home runs, or the 170 RBI. He had hit totals of 219, 250, 200, 226, and 223. Klein had 44 assists in 1930, a modern record, and people would say, 'Oh yeah, but see in the Baker Bowl he could play so shallow that sometimes he'd throw people out at first,' so we have to ignore that too...
You just can't ignore THAT MUCH statistical evidence...I've become convinced that Klein was [at] the level of unquestioned excellence but marginal greatness...[I]t is obvious from the literature of the time that Klein WAS regarded, while active, as a great player; maybe not as great as Ott and Waner, but in the same group. He was one of those players...who was always the focus of attention wherever he went. The headline over every team he played for at the end of the season was always going to read 'Klein has great season' or 'Klein doesn't have great season [emphasis original]."

Indeed, many good hitters played for the Phillies at the Baker Bowl. NONE, ABSOLUTELY NONE, hit like he did for as long as he did! Walker and Helton would be hard pressed to say the same. Check out the career stats, just by way of a few examples among many, Tulowitski: .310 BA and .918 OPS at home, .269 BA, .791 road. And Carlos Gonzalez: .323 and .974 at Coors; .251 and .728 on the road. Never in the history of the game has the home field total offensive advantage been so in favor of hitters playing at home in one ballpark--Coors field! Always evaluate Colorado players on their road record, plus a little extra for a typical home field advantage, but that "little extra" doesn't even begin to approach what playing at Coors bestows upon them!

Klein and Ott were at least intentionally taking advantage of what their ballparks offered them, which is what they were supposed to have been doing. Walker and Helton, in contrast, were by comparison dropped off at a place where they could essentially play their home games in little league as full grown adults! What would Joey Gallo have been able to do playing his home games at the Baker Bowl? .228 and 50 HR's?

No one is "penalizing anyone" for where they play, but instead, are simply taking home/away stats as an additional factor in measuring how really good or great a given player ACTUALLY was.

'Nuff said,

Larry
Agree on Ott. However,
Chuck Klein
Home .353/.410/.617
Road .286/.346/.466

Those are Coors numbers. As for no one else putting up those numbers at the Baker Bowl, look at Lefty O' Doul in 1929 and 1930 with an OPS home/ road difference of 231 and 166 points. Now Klein wasn't elected by the writers, peaking at 28% his last year on the ballot in 1964
He was elected by the Veterans Committee in 1980 and is a weaker selection. So, that should give hope to Larry Walker if he does not get in this year or next. Baines, Smith and Morris would suggest that he will get in.

I would also point out that the Pirates haven't had a Hofer on a roster since 1982, so the Rockies drought isn't that long. Nolan Aranado is certainly building a Hof resume with his combination of defense and Coors aided offense. So, it is just a matter of time for a relatively new franchise before they have a Hofer.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:27 AM
Peter Spaeth

The Pirates point has a huge asterisk named Barry Bonds.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
The Pirates point has a huge asterisk named Barry Bonds.
He is not making it this year. He has 3 more chances. If not, he isn't ever making it. I don't see players who lost money or jobs to dopers ever electing a steroids user to the HOF.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:26 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
He is not making it this year. He has 3 more chances. If not, he isn't ever making it. I don't see players who lost money or jobs to dopers ever electing a steroids user to the HOF.
Maybe not, but my point is the Pirates certainly had an all time great in their lineup.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:42 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

How about the N Y Mutuals
Old 12-26-2018, 02:59 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
How about the N Y Mutuals
I don't think the Kekiongas had too many HOFers either.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:03 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Quote:

'Nuff said,

Larry
Okay, you took my elected HOFer examples and rewarded them for playing well in their ballparks (which included elevated home park statistics)...then you took two other players and said we need to discount their elevated home statistics

You seem to want it both ways. You may not call it penalizing, but that’s what you are doing.

The idea that is lost here is that a lot of players must have been helped by playing in favorable hitting parks. They aren’t being mentioned because they didn’t excel to the extent that Walker and Helton did, or how Ott and Klein did.

We could just admire the facts that these players (all 4 specified in this debate, but thrown in Harold Baines too) are special players who compiled big stat lines, higher than most others in the era they played in.
We don’t have to hypothetically dismiss Colorado hitting or defend Polo Grounds short right field at all.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think it's one of those things that's only going to generate reexamination of the numbers when it's an extreme, across the board phenomenon like Coors and hitting. When it's more in the nature of individual players being tailored to individual parks, much less so, in part because as Larry points out the disparity may be to some extent the result of the player's talent in taking advantage of the park.

For example Wade Boggs with his great bat control just tattooed the left field wall at Fenway. I would give him credit for that, it seems different than Walker and Helton and everyone else just hitting better at Coors.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-26-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:47 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
Okay, you took my elected HOFer examples and rewarded them for playing well in their ballparks (which included elevated home park statistics)...then you took two other players and said we need to discount their elevated home statistics

You seem to want it both ways. You may not call it penalizing, but that’s what you are doing.

The idea that is lost here is that a lot of players must have been helped by playing in favorable hitting parks. They aren’t being mentioned because they didn’t excel to the extent that Walker and Helton did, or how Ott and Klein did.

We could just admire the facts that these players (all 4 specified in this debate, but thrown in Harold Baines too) are special players who compiled big stat lines, higher than most others in the era they played in.
We don’t have to hypothetically dismiss Colorado hitting or defend Polo Grounds short right field at all.
No, Brian. While I don't mean to be argumentative, accuracy is at stake here. The correct term is not "penalizing," it is properly termed "correctly evaluating," with as many analytic factors as possible factored into the process. How are Walker and Helton significantly different (aside from possibly playing more games, thus giving them a quantitative, but not qualitative edge) from the following additional Coors players? Nolan Arenado, career--.320 BA, .984 OPS, 108 HR home vs .263 BA, .787 OPS, 78 HR road; Dante Bichette, career--.328 BA, .938 OPS, 177 HR home vs .269 BA, .730 OPS, 97 HR road; Trevor Story, career--.290 BA, .971 OPS, 55 HR home vs .246, .752 OPS, 33 HR road. And you can go on and on through the history of the Rockies at Coors. The point is that MANY Rockies players developed great to even spectacular stats PRIMARILY BECAUSE THEY PLAYED THEIR HOME GAMES AT COORS FIELD, which made mediocre to good to very good players APPEAR to look like HOF'ers, when their performance under neutral playing conditions quite clearly reveals that they were not in fact great players. This is beyond any rational dispute. They didn't have to adjust their hitting style or approach at the plate to achieve this effect--it was indeed as if they had just been dropped off into a location where they were playing their home games against, if not little league (a bit of a facetious exaggeration), certainly a high level of high school to college level of competition.

Ott, on the other hand, learned to pull the ball more at the Polo Grounds, while changing his style to hit more doubles and triples and for a higher average on the road. Thus the .918 ROAD OPS, marking him clearly as among the true all-time greats (there is almost always an advantage in hitting at home, which the 2015 New York Times Bestseller, "Big Data Baseball," proved statistically to be due to home players receiving more favorable calls on pitches--umps don't like to be booed either!). Klein also pulled the ball to take advantage of Baker Bowl's dimensions, and was able to do so far, far better than any other player who ever played there (and it should be remembered that while he played a maximum of 77 home games there each season, visiting teams and players would play there also 22 times per year). In addition, Klein hit his 4 home runs in one game not at Baker Bowl, but at Pittsburgh's Forbes Field, then one of the largest parks in the major leagues.

Best wishes,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 12-26-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:56 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
No, Brian. While I don't mean to be argumentative, accuracy is at stake here. The correct term is not "penalizing," it is properly termed "correctly evaluating," with as many analytic factors as possible factored into the process. How are Walker and Helton significantly different (aside from possibly playing more games, thus giving them a quantitative, but not qualitative edge) from the following additional Coors players? Nolan Arenado, career--.320 BA, .984 OPS, 108 HR home vs .263 BA, .787 OPS, 78 HR road; Dante Bichette, career--.328 BA, .938 OPS, 177 HR home vs .269 BA, .730 OPS, 97 HR road; Trevor Story, career--.290 BA, .971 OPS, 55 HR home vs .246, .752 OPS, 33 HR road. And you can go on and on through the history of the Rockies at Coors. The point is that MANY Rockies players developed great to even spectacular stats PRIMARILY BECAUSE THEY PLAYED THEIR HOME GAMES AT COORS FIELD, which made mediocre to good to very good players APPEAR to look like HOF'ers, when their performance under neutral playing conditions quite clearly reveals that they were not in fact great players. This is beyond any rational dispute. They didn't have to adjust their hitting style or approach at the plate to achieve this effect--it was indeed as if they had just been dropped off into a location where they were playing their home games against, if not little league (a bit of a facetious exaggeration), certainly a high level of high school to college level of competition.

Ott, on the other hand, learned to pull the ball more at the Polo Grounds, while changing his style to hit more doubles and triples and for a higher average on the road. Thus the .918 ROAD OPS, marking him clearly as among the true all-time greats (there is almost always an advantage in hitting at home, which the 2015 New York Times Bestseller, "Big Data Baseball," proved statistically to be due to home players receiving more favorable calls on pitches--umps don't like to be booed either!). Klein also pulled the ball to take advantage of Baker Bowl's dimensions, and was able to do so far, far better than any other player who ever played there (and it should be remembered that while he played a maximum of 77 home games there each season, visiting teams and players would play there also 22 times per year). In addition, Klein hit his 4 home runs in one game not at Baker Bowl, but at Pittsburgh's Forbes Field, then one of the largest parks in the major leagues.

Best wishes,

Larry
Klein’s opponents would play 11 games each in the Baker Bowl, not 22.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:

Best wishes,

Larry
Larry Walker had an OPS of .872 away from Coors Field. If you put him in another stadium for his career and he hit the same, he would have a higher OPS than many Hofers including Boggs, Gwynn, Carew, Kaline, Yaz, Billy Williams, Reggie Jackson, Jim Rice, Banks, Winfield, etc. Coors gave him the advantage of jumping to 15th all time from around 100, so he wasn't some terrible hitter away from Coors with a career OPS+ of 141. He also created value in the field and on the base paths to accumulate 72.7 WAR. Compare that to Klein's career OPS+ of 137 and WAR of 43.6 and Walker is a much more deserving Hofer than Klein or recent inductees like Gwynn, Winfield, Vlad Guererro, Raines and Rice.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:35 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Larry Walker had an OPS of .872 away from Coors Field. If you put him in another stadium for his career and he hit the same, he would have a higher OPS than many Hofers including Boggs, Gwynn, Carew, Kaline, Yaz, Billy Williams, Reggie Jackson, Jim Rice, Banks, Winfield, etc. Coors gave him the advantage of jumping to 15th all time from around 100, so he wasn't some terrible hitter away from Coors with a career OPS+ of 141. He also created value in the field and on the base paths to accumulate 72.7 WAR. Compare that to Klein's career OPS+ of 137 and WAR of 43.6 and Walker is a much more deserving Hofer than Klein or recent inductees like Gwynn, Winfield, Vlad Guererro, Raines and Rice.
Seriously? Sounds like you're making the wrong comparisons here. Gwynn?

Based on other players that have been enshrined, I think Walker should be in the HOF, even after looking at the amount of fairly bland plate appearances he had for Montreal and St. Louis.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:43 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Is too much thought being put into this subject?

This could all be saved going forward by having every ballpark have the same identical dimensions. The ball will be doctored, as it is now, to lessen offense in Texas, Cincinnati, Colorado, Philly, Anaheim, DC, and Yankee Stadium. At the opposite end the ball will be juiced in the parks of the Mets, Mariners, A's, Marlins, Giants, Braves, and Dodgers.

That way everyone will be on the same level so to speak, and we can hand out participation trophy's.

It all seems to be overthought.

Am I missing the mark? Perhaps I am too old school and while I appreciate metrics, it isn't the be all to end all for me. The eye test has usually worked well for me, however I do wear glasses, so.......
Old 12-27-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Seriously? Sounds like you're making the wrong comparisons here. Gwynn?

Based on other players that have been enshrined, I think Walker should be in the HOF, even after looking at the amount of fairly bland plate appearances he had for Montreal and St. Louis.
Tony Gwynn was a singles hitter that hit for a high average. Larry Walker was better in every other phase of the game. He provided more power while still hitting for a high average. His OPS away from Coors was higher than Gwynn's. He was a better fielder, had a better arm and was a better base runner. He had a higher peak. That is why both his bWAR and fWAR as well as JAWs are higher than Gwynn's. It is not meant to be a knock on Gwynn or any of the others on that list, but the point is to show how under rated Walker is.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:42 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Quote:
For apples to apples, what would Walker/Helton stats on roids be?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/