NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2018, 09:50 AM
Charles
Cha.rles

Default Card stuck in screw-down holder. Advice needed.

Hello All.

I've owned a 1950 Drakes (VG-EX condition IMO) Gil Hodges for about 35 years. It has been stored in a screw-down holder for about 25 years. I recently decided to have it graded, so I removed all the screws from the holder. The back of the holder came off easily enough, but the front of the holder appears to be stuck to the card. I don't want to pull or force the card off for fear of damaging the card. Can anyone offer any advice on how to do this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1950 Drakes Gil Hodges - stuck on holder.jpg (70.6 KB, 1095 views)

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 10-21-2018, 09:54 AM
Peter Spaeth

Try putting it in the freezer for a short time inside a baggie. I've seen this technique discussed someplace before.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-21-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:57 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Try putting it in the freezer for a short time.
Agreed, though you might consider putting it in a Ziploc bag to keep any possible moisture away from it.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:01 AM
Charles
Cha.rles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Try putting it in the freezer for a short time inside a baggie. I've seen this technique discussed someplace before.

Okay. I will try putting it in a Ziploc bag and into the freezer, but what is a "short time"?

- Charles

Old 10-21-2018, 11:30 AM
Banned

start with 10 minutes and see if that helps. if not, put it back in the freezer for another 5-10 minutes and so on
Old 10-21-2018, 01:32 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

If you want anything more than Authentic - Altered, go with a different company than PSA. They have the Altered Stock designation that this will most likely get as pressed inside a holder. Since the pressing could have been done to remove or hide wrinkles/creases, PSA normally returns this kind of damage ungraded unless you write *MIN GRADE AUTHENTIC/ALTERED* on your submission form.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:51 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default the opposite

I would go for the opposite solution. Try a hair dryer, a little bit at a time. Just enough to warm up the card and the plastic. Don't get the dryer too close to the card.

Good luck.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:56 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

You may be able to avoid the A designation by keeping the card in a humid environment for a week or two before sending it off (basement/bathroom.) Since cardboard is porous the indirect moisture should fatten the card up a bit without soaking it...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:45 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I would go for the opposite solution. Try a hair dryer, a little bit at a time. Just enough to warm up the card and the plastic. Don't get the dryer too close to the card.

Good luck.
I agree and was going to suggest this as well. In addition to the heat breaking any adhesions between the card and the holder the heat will cause both to expand at different rates given their relative densities and it might pop right off the holder.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:05 AM
Charles
Cha.rles

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
I agree and was going to suggest this as well. In addition to the heat breaking any adhesions between the card and the holder the heat will cause both to expand at different rates given their relative densities and it might pop right off the holder.

Rick & Robert-

You guys are brilliant! I had to wait for my girlfriend to come over with a blow dryer. I tried it by "blowing" the side of the slab that the card wasn't stuck to. After about a minute of this, the card popped right off!

Thank you!

- Charles

Last edited by The-Cardfather; 10-25-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:08 AM
Robert J. Miller

Nice! Glad it worked out. Too bad I did not know about this method with my Gretzky rookie. At least it still graded an 8 with just minor chipping.
Robert
Old 10-25-2018, 07:43 AM
D@le Irv*n

When I joined this site, back in 2016, I panicked when people told me to get my cards out of the cubes I had them in.
I remember, when I inherited the cards, putting them in these cubes, thinking I was doing the right thing, to protect them.
Little did I know that the opposite could happen!

Thankfully, I didn't screw them down tight, just tight enough to barely hold them. I also laid them on their edge instead of their backs, which, I am sure also helped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1579 (Large).jpg (71.4 KB, 531 views)
File Type: jpg MickMays.jpg (78.2 KB, 530 views)
Old 10-26-2018, 09:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cardfather View Post
Rick & Robert-

You guys are brilliant! I had to wait for my girlfriend to come over with a blow dryer. I tried it by "blowing" the side of the slab that the card wasn't stuck to. After about a minute of this, the card popped right off!

Thank you!
Old 10-26-2018, 11:32 AM
T0dd M@rcum

It breaks my heart, but one of my winter projects is to remove my cards from two pieces.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
It breaks my heart, but one of my winter projects is to remove my cards from two pieces.
So you have cards in holders and now they are possibly in 2 pieces and you have to undo them? If so, been there.....not fun. Just go slow and do the best you can. At the end of one of my large projects I just decided to tape the whole piece up because it was in so many pieces it was no good otherwise. It was a sheet of cards though...
Old 08-05-2022, 05:24 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Want to give this thread a Shout-out.
Got this '53 Northland Bread label (Thanks Mac!) Ran my hair dryer on the back of the screwdown and it popped right off in 30 seconds or so!

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale