NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-16-2018, 09:13 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Read the COMC primer I just posted then. Are OPC cards plentiful in your area? You could make a bunch sending them in to spend on 1952 Topps. BTW, I'm posting from a bed in the hospital; had awfully painful back spasms on Monday.
I read that, thanks.

I would assume OPC cards are more plentiful around here but with the lack of any decent card shops, I really have no idea what the ratio could be?

Sorry to hear about your back. That is never a fun thing to deal with.

Get well soon, John.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:19 AM
Al Richter

Default 52 Mitchell

Agree it is not a “variation” and is s print misalignment, but why would a recurring misalignment not be a recurring print defect ?
Old 05-16-2018, 12:34 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Because there are way too many of them? And minor ones are not specifically recurring.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:30 PM
Steve Birmingham

Because the masks were put together by hand, it's possible that for one color in one position (Or more than one, I think Topps were possibly done in blocks) To be misaligned compared to the other colors.

What would be really hard would be proving that it was from that one plate being made a bit off instead of just being out of registration.
If you had an uncut sheet showing the color registered on most of the cards, but not on one or not on a block, AND a sheet showing the same cards all in register. That might be convincing.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:53 PM
Al Richter

I know several collectors who avidly collect the 56 misaligned cards that have different colored lines between the boxes with the player and team info. Somone on here has several such versions of the Ted Williams card, and legendary variation guys Dick Gilkeson and Richar D on here both list them in their “variations” checklists. I personally don’t pursue them but have some examples.

Examples have been posted earlier in this thread.

If a card has a difference from it’s common counterpart that recurs I tend to collect it, whatever the cause or nature of the defect or difference. It may be rediculous but it is what I do �� ��

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-16-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:05 AM
Steve Birmingham

The 56s I think are actual variations. On the Williams, the stripe is over the team/name box, and there are three different (at least). None of them are from misregistration. There could be some added ones that are misregistrations, but the wide yellow strip, wide green stripe and narrow blue stripe are all actual differences.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:53 AM
Al Richter

I would always defer to you expertise on printing issues, Steve. I collect recurring differences in cards whether they are print defects or intended differences.

The latter would be my definition of a "variation" as opposed to a variant. But I include in my personal definition of a variation both changes specifically intended ( like the 59 traded or optioned cards) and changes not specifically intended but resulting from intentional changes in the printing process itself, such as the Mantle and numerous other DP differences, or stock changes, or the 62 green tints.

I assume the printers in 56 did not intend the colored line differences, but what did they do that resulted in them, in particular the several different ones that exist for the Williams card