NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2017, 07:03 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Actually they are following the UCC to a "T." The UCC states unequivocally that a bid is NOT a contract until the item has been called sold and may be retracted at any time until the item is called sold.

Also it is not possible to sign away your UCC rights, so if you accept someone's bid you HAVE to accept their retraction regardless of what you say your policy is, even if the bidder has agreed to your policy!

However there is nothing saying that you have to continue accepting bids from someone who has retracted bids in the past.

I know this won't be a popular post but I am 100% confident on my knowledge of the law on this issue since it was beaten into me in class very recently You can search elsewhere on this site for a discussion between myself and a lawyer/member on this very issue. I think it was an interesting discussion, and germane to the interests of a lot of the users here.
E-bay is in the Republic of California, so let's start there. We don't follow half of the federal laws here anyway. Here's 2328 California Commercial code (which I think is similar to your UCC reference)

(3) Such a sale is with reserve unless the goods are in explicit terms put up without reserve.  In an auction with reserve the auctioneer may withdraw the goods at any time until he announces completion of the sale.  In an auction without reserve, after the auctioneer calls for bids on an article or lot, that article or lot cannot be withdrawn unless no bid is made within a reasonable time.  In either case a bidder may retract his bid until the auctioneer's announcement of completion of the sale, but a bidder's retraction does not revive any previous bid.

We maybe be talking the same language here, but the problem is e-bay is moving the under-bidder into pole position after a high bidder retracts. That is violating law as I read it, or at a minimum, the intent of the law.

I can quote you on some other California Auction Codes that e-bay is ignoring if you want. In the near future, these AH's, and e-bay, are going to have skin in the game. They will not be able to throw up their hands and declare "i had no clue", or "we're just consignors", when they're enabling listings of the highest degree of fraud on their software platform.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:18 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastmode View Post
E-bay is in the Republic of California, so let's start there. We don't follow half of the federal laws here anyway. Here's 2328 California Commercial code (which I think is similar to your UCC reference)

(3) Such a sale is with reserve unless the goods are in explicit terms put up without reserve.  In an auction with reserve the auctioneer may withdraw the goods at any time until he announces completion of the sale.  In an auction without reserve, after the auctioneer calls for bids on an article or lot, that article or lot cannot be withdrawn unless no bid is made within a reasonable time.  In either case a bidder may retract his bid until the auctioneer's announcement of completion of the sale, but a bidder's retraction does not revive any previous bid.

We maybe be talking the same language here, but the problem is e-bay is moving the under-bidder into pole position after a high bidder retracts. That is violating law as I read it, or at a minimum, the intent of the law.

I can quote you on some other California Auction Codes that e-bay is ignoring if you want. In the near future, these AH's, and e-bay, are going to have skin in the game. They will not be able to throw up their hands and declare "i had no clue", or "we're just consignors", when they're enabling listings of the highest degree of fraud on their software platform.
That's all I was saying (the bolded portion) they HAVE to allow retractions. If you look at the other thread mentioned earlier we did discuss remedy after retraction. There are basically two ways a reputable auctioneer handles the situation. They either start the item over or ASK the under bidder if they would like to maintain their bid. Said under bidder is under no obligation to do so. There may be another way to legally handle the situation, but I agree that ebay's way certainly seems to violate the UCC (and yes it appears 2-328 is identical between the UCC and the CCC)
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-14-2017, 08:00 AM
Sam Lemoine

Oh, they can retract even after the sale. I had auctions that ended on Tuesday night. A guy sniped and and won an item for $45 with one second left. He paid immediately. Then, ten minutes later, asked to cancel. Since eBay has it where he can leave negative feedback on me, but I can't do the same, I have to agree to cancel. The underbidder doesn't want the item, because he says he felt uncomfortable with how fast I sent the second chance offer (I don't blame him). So, I sell to the second underbidder for $35. Thanks, jerk. But, he can do this because eBay allows it.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
Oh, they can retract even after the sale. I had auctions that ended on Tuesday night. A guy sniped and and won an item for $45 with one second left. He paid immediately. Then, ten minutes later, asked to cancel. Since eBay has it where he can leave negative feedback on me, but I can't do the same, I have to agree to cancel. The underbidder doesn't want the item, because he says he felt uncomfortable with how fast I sent the second chance offer (I don't blame him). So, I sell to the second underbidder for $35. Thanks, jerk. But, he can do this because eBay allows it.
Yup, I've had this happen to.

A couple months ago I actually had somebody pay me for something two weeks after an auction ended and then request to cancel right after they paid.

Claimed "their dad" bid on the auction by mistake.

I'm pretty sure they paid to avoid an unpaid item on their record, and then immediately went about the business of sabotaging the transaction.

Ebay doesn't give you much of a choice but to just comply. Especially with somebody who knows the ins and outs of getting out of a transaction.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:37 PM
M@r5h@|| T011¡\/€R
Mars.hall Tol.liver

I made a sale outside of eBay using paypal. An ebay member contacted me through ebay's messaging system about making them a custom item. Sent the user my paypal.me link for payment. Both my eBay and paypal accounts are now suspended indefinitely. I can't withdrawal my money from my paypal account for 180 days. The worst part is I had a substantial amount saved up in Ebay bucks I was planning on using. I wouldn't recommend doing deals outside of eBay. Be careful using PayPal F&F for goods as well.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:52 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
I made a sale outside of eBay using paypal. An ebay member contacted me through ebay's messaging system about making them a custom item. Sent the user my paypal.me link for payment. Both my eBay and paypal accounts are now suspended indefinitely. I can't withdrawal my money from my paypal account for 180 days. The worst part is I had a substantial amount saved up in Ebay bucks I was planning on using. I wouldn't recommend doing deals outside of eBay. Be careful using PayPal F&F for goods as well.
Yes, you are risking your paypal account if you circumvent their fees. I would be utterly screwed if I lost my paypal account.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 07-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
Yes but we were speaking of legal rights, not ebaygle rights...