NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2015, 08:14 AM
Robert Klevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwesley View Post
Is there a link where I can see what the final prices were on Leo's items?

I hope he cleaned up big time,
It is an out of this world collection!
Total for this sale: $950,115
http://sports.ha.com/c/print-prices-...ealized-071515
Old 08-14-2015, 08:17 AM

950k... Wow.
Congrats!

The question is:

Would you rather have that entire collection or a Wagner, a plank and some cash left over?

Last edited by Joshwesley; 08-14-2015 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:22 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Looks like the 950,115 includes the buyer's premium? Having said that, I would think an astute guy like Leon negotiated to receive a cut of the BP.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:33 AM
Zach

Leon, you know I was going after that other Cafe Du Monde but I ended up having to back out. You're welcome for helping drive that one up a bit more.

I ended up with the W573 uncut strip. I'm going to make my own holder and slab it "Leon Luckey Collection" (to help drive up the price should I ever sell it).

Last edited by ZachS; 08-14-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:48 AM
pete ullman

Congrats Leon...that was a fun auction with cooler material all in one place than has been seen in a long time...atleast by me.

I got beaten on the 30 or so things I bid on...none of which I had to have.

I thought prices were quite strong for the most part.

So are we going Ivy league?
Old 08-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Bob Donaldson

Leon

Did you sell your quarter?

Congratulations!

Bob
Old 08-14-2015, 02:21 PM
Larry

Congratulations, Leon, on the total gross and net. I won the only lot I bid on--the 1929 Leader Novelty Mel Ott, and am very glad to have it!

The auction was an amazing thing to have done--best wishes on your future collecting endeavors,

Larry
Old 08-14-2015, 02:23 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

I missed my mark on the McGraw t205 scrap, but it was still a fun auction to watch.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:30 PM
Cha.rles He.nry

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
Leon

Did you sell your quarter?

Congratulations!

Bob
Hahaha....Maybe he did; I saw he was using a half dollar the other day
Old 08-14-2015, 02:38 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The guys at Heritage typically do a great job. I just got an email stating that some of the shipping charges were incorrect, and they are being corrected now.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:11 PM

Default Rob.....

I bet the winner of both pieces was jumping for joy!

they got both pieces AT A DISCOUNT to say the least....

I estimated with many friends, in this venue 40k-60 k, with the buyer environment....on matty....

I estimated the rosetta getting 30 k plus in this venue....all depends if a few whales joined the frivolity, and I know for a fact a HUGE ONE chose not to participate

these 2 pieces went CHEAP even in this venue....

there were a few certain individuals who did not bid.....if they joined the pool, prices would have been at least 30 % higher or more in this venue....maybe not 100k on the multi strike , but 30- 50 k would have not been out of the question......Matty prob went to Keith....and if it did, he got a GREAT piece....and is one of the very elite to truly understand a "type 1 " design change proof.....

hate to say ROB D- in REA these 2 pieces would have done much better.....so, you know it.....100 k with another bidder would not have been out of the question on Matty at least, with the multi at least 30 k and sky the limit .......

THANK GOD! LEON reinstated you...............gives me someone to pick on

so, winner bidder got a STEAL ON BOTH!!!!

two major notes here.....

1)winning bidder needs to resubmit the multi and have "brown om stike" added....this will def add value to the card....

2) no one "really" understands yet what a design change proof really is and the significance of them......t206 "proto types"..... more to come in the future...

Rob, you should EDUCATE.....not EVALUATE so much

if you ever see these again at auction, they will be at least double of what they just sold for.....and you can quote me on that..........give it a year or 2 to marinate........these cards are exponentially appreciating like Wagz
Old 08-14-2015, 03:32 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

"I bet the winner of both pieces was jumping for joy!

they got both pieces AT A DISCOUNT to say the least....

I estimated with many friends, in this venue 40k-60 k, with the buyer environment....on matty....

I estimated the rosetta getting 30 k plus in this venue....all depends if a few whales joined the frivolity, and I know for a fact a HUGE ONE chose not to participate

these 2 pieces went CHEAP even in this venue....

there were a few certain individuals who did not bid.....if they joined the pool, prices would have been at least 30 % higher or more in this venue....maybe not 100k on the multi strike , but 30- 50 k would have not been out of the question......Matty prob went to Keith....and if it did, he got a GREAT piece....and is one of the very elite to truly understand a "type 1 " design change proof.....

hate to say ROB D- in REA these 2 pieces would have done much better.....so, you know it.....100 k with another bidder would not have been out of the question on Matty at least, with the multi at least 30 k and sky the limit .......

THANK GOD! LEON reinstated you...............gives me someone to pick on

so, winner bidder got a STEAL ON BOTH!!!!

two major notes here.....

1)winning bidder needs to resubmit the multi and have "brown om stike" added....this will def add value to the card....

2) no one "really" understands yet what a design change proof really is and the significance of them......t206 "proto types"..... more to come in the future...

Rob, you should EDUCATE.....not EVALUATE so much

if you ever see these again at auction, they will be at least double of what they just sold for.....and you can quote me on that..........give it a year or 2 to marinate........these cards are exponentially appreciating like Wagz"

LOL--it's always easy to say things go too cheap when you are not spending your own money. Heritage accesses everyone in the hobby; the items sold for what they were worth. If I had to guess, and it is no more than a guess, I would say that the Matty proof could appreciate in the future. The printers scrap piece, I believe, is just a curiosity piece that happens to be hot now. In other areas, like '48 Leaf cards, similar printers scrap pieces, even dramatic ones, do not carry significant value. I would guess that T206 scrap pieces depreciate in value in the future. This is not meant to start a debate, just one person's view.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
Blah blah blah

Or, more likely, you often are clueless -- or at the very least overly optimistic -- when assigning realistic value to these types of cards (specifically, scrap and the like). Maybe because you'd like to see them be worth more than they are? Because you own cards of this type?

It just always seems like you have to explain how often these types of cards sell at "bargain" prices. They'll always sell for more -- you predict -- down the road.

I know, I know ... you and a handful of collectors are the only ones "smart" enough to realize the "true" value. The collectors who actually can afford to pay the actual selling prices just aren't as smart, apparently.

Edited to add: R0b Dew0lf

Last edited by Rob D.; 08-14-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:26 PM
Mike Oberl@nder

Here are pictures of the lots that I won (but missed out on others, including the Zeenuts of Mensor and Bohne).

I did receive an email from HA that the shipping was incorrectly calculated - as calculated was $24.15, but should have been $6.45; I am sure I will get the refund. The lots I won each went for less than $100 without premium, so as a percentage the difference is big even though the dollars are not.

I am very pleased to add a small part of Leon's collection to mine. I bid on the supplements lot mostly for the Greenberg and the Cobb, so if there is something else in there that someone else really wanted let me know and I am sure we can work out a trade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T205 Beck American Beauty.jpg (76.2 KB, 573 views)
File Type: jpg supplments Luckey 1.jpg (71.9 KB, 573 views)
File Type: jpg supplements Luckey 2.jpg (74.4 KB, 568 views)
File Type: jpg Supplements Luckey 3.jpg (74.3 KB, 573 views)
Old 08-14-2015, 06:56 PM
Ed Cavagnaro

Leon,

I know that it had to be hard letting a collection like this go. So I just wanted to thank you as I have been coveting this card for a very loooong time! I also want to wish you the best of luck as you get started on your next collection...

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walsh.jpg (76.3 KB, 440 views)
Old 08-15-2015, 09:43 PM
JeR@Me

Default Luckey Win

Happy to have this mellow yellow Thebo to my OB Series 3 set!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thebo.jpg (79.7 KB, 475 views)
Old 08-15-2015, 11:00 PM
David R

Default Johnny

I too appreciate Johnny's passion and honesty. And it's nice to see him come on here today and admit that he should not have been so negative the last few days. As someone who got into collecting vintage because of scrap - my Dad gave me a pile of t206s ten years ago that included all the Lash's Bitters cards (neither of us knew what they were) - I share Johnny's passion for t206 oddities. I think his heart is really in the right place.

Now if he would just sell or trade me his blank back t206 hall of famer so I can complete my t206 HOF back set I would really like him

And as for Leon's collection, I was sad to see him sell it but also happy to see all the wonderful cards he accumulated. Leon, I hope you're happy with the results of the auction and I hope your cards bring a lot of joy to all those who were fortunate enough to win them.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:01 AM
Bill Lucier

Although not a needed piece, couldn't be happier with this. Also, wanted to help just a little with the root cause of this auction. A selfless act to be very proud of, nice job Leon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1938 Minneapolis Millers.jpg (72.9 KB, 910 views)
Old 08-16-2015, 07:01 AM
Glenn

Default The Leon Luckey Type CardCollection

My only acquisition was this. It is right in my wheel house...an item of extreme rarity, and top flight HOFer!

http://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/19...ription-071515

Glenn Mechanick
Old 08-16-2015, 07:05 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxMechanick View Post
My only acquisition was this. It is right in my wheel house...an item of extreme rarity, and top flight HOFer!

Glenn Mechanick

Congrats on the pickup. That and the Orange Borders box were a couple of my favorite items in the auction.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:08 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxMechanick View Post

Glenn Mechanick
Awesome pickup Glenn, I think I was the under bidder (or close)
Old 08-16-2015, 09:19 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default sadly

lost out to a couple good people - the Kotton and Mino, GQ pack and cartons, OJ "wheel", and a few others. I did win the bakery pennant premium featuring the actors and actresses. Now I just need to find some room for it.............
Old 08-16-2015, 11:49 AM
Glenn

Default The Leon Luckey Type Card Collection

Thanks James & Jon!

Glenn
Old 08-16-2015, 06:07 PM
Brendan Mullen

I hate to beat a dead horse but count me as another big Johnny V fan. Although I do not know him and have never really dealt with him, his enthusiasm and helpful attitude are truly refreshing. NOBODY on here is more willing to help other collectors, or offer them tips, or advice, or tries to get others to collect baseball cards for the right reasons, rather than investments etc. I have been on here for a couple of years collecting T206s and have never seen him say a bad word about anybody, or have a poor attitude. Yes he is a little over enthusiastic, but give me his attitude 7 days of the week over some of the other incendiary miserable types here.

Last edited by Bpm0014; 08-16-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:21 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
$1.4 million with shipping.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:51 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
Uh, just one card short of a million dollar auction. 0_o
Old 08-14-2015, 08:57 AM

Leon's accountant is going to be busy figuring out the capital gains tax on this auction, yikes! 😱
Old 08-14-2015, 09:03 AM
Tom Boblitt

The 950Kish was with the 19.5% vig added in.............I think. A nice tally. Hopefully the cap gains don't kill you too bad as there are gains on some, losses on others. A sufficient enough amount to ensure your daughter get's through school, has a nice wedding at some point, and spoil a few grandkids down the road.................and some left over for collection #2..........
Old 08-14-2015, 09:10 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Congrats Leon! Good luck on collection #2.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:11 AM
Tony N.

I wanted that Schapira Bros. Ty Cobb Big Show Candy card, but got crushed!!

Great looking card!!

Tony
Old 08-14-2015, 09:17 AM
Jerry

Happy to win the one card I had my eye on in this auction...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 9.07.33 PM.jpg (61.1 KB, 614 views)
Old 08-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Anthøny N. ex

I won 2 cards. Shipping was billed at $44.85.
Seriously?

Edited to add- received an unsolicited, updated invoice with shipping cut in half. Much more reasonable.

Last edited by Griffins; 08-15-2015 at 07:53 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 08-14-2015, 09:59 AM
C.hris Bl.and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
I won 2 cards. Shipping was billed at $44.85.
Seriously?
Maybe Pete Calderon, who was able to get on the board to advertise the auction in the past couple of days, can log in and explain these shipping fees.

Type 1 photos of baseball HOFers
N172 Old Judge Portraits

Will buy or trade for the above. Check out my cards at:

www.imageevent.com/crb972