NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-17-2015, 10:57 AM
D@v!d R. Fuhrm@n

Location: Denmark (don't worry, I have a USA mailing address!)

Honest question: If they make such great pets, why are pit mixes abandoned at such a rate that they are literally the majority of abandoned dogs found in the shelters? (I was not aware of this.)

(Also, Jim, hope you are recovering well!)
T206 back run: 21/38

Last edited by BicycleSpokes; 02-17-2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:05 AM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleSpokes View Post
Honest question: If they make such great pets, why are pit mixes abandoned at such a rate that they are literally the majority of abandoned dogs found in the shelters?

Read this for many answers to your question:

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/...rs-4986436.php
Old 02-17-2015, 11:16 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleSpokes View Post
Honest question: If they make such great pets, why are pit mixes abandoned at such a rate that they are literally the majority of abandoned dogs found in the shelters?

Part of the answer to that is in the story that Phil linked. Many are abandoned because of the owners living in apartments where the managment doesn't allow pit bulls.

Ok, then the next question should be "Why wouldn't an apartment complez allow pit bulls?" Simple, because many families and children live in apartment complexes and pit bulls are naturally aggressive. The apartment complex does not want to be sued in the event of an attack.

Another reason that many end up in shelters is because the owners get them and then realize how aggressive they are and just don't want them anymore.

Whatever the reason, it all leads back to the same point. Pit bulls are aggressive.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:21 AM
P.hil €lli$

David, don't you want to answer my question?

Would you want Ben, Dave & Myself to euthanize our pets?
Old 02-17-2015, 11:27 AM

Never mind. You clearly don't like pit bulls and no one is going to change your mind. I can accept that but wish you wouldn't wish death upon random dogs without taking to task anything the owner did to that dog.

Last edited by packs; 02-17-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:35 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
You clearly don't like pit bulls and no one is going to change your mind.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you can change my mind. Let's do this. I'll meet you at PetSmart, you bring your dog and I'll bring mine and the two can play together while you're educating me on how wonderful pit bulls are. Oh, wait a minute. Nevermind, pit bulls are NOT ALLOWED at PetSmart (among many other places). I wonder why that is???
Old 02-17-2015, 11:41 AM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you can change my mind. Let's do this. I'll meet you at PetSmart, you bring your dog and I'll bring mine and the two can play together while you're educating me on how wonderful pit bulls are. Oh, wait a minute. Nevermind, pit bulls are NOT ALLOWED at PetSmart (among many other places). I wonder why that is???
Not true. I have brought my dog to PetSmart.

Here you go with your ignorance again and picking and choosing what to respond to.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:35 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default lawyer

I have a lawyer friend here in Wisconsin. He told me that if I ever get bit by a dog, I should give him a call. He said it is an easy $10,000 in my pocket.

I have never followed up on it, but you might want to contact an attorney.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:42 AM

Right. I'll ask one more time just for fun: have you ever had any experience at all with a pit bull personally? As in: have you ever owned a pit bull or spent a significant amount of time with one?
Old 02-17-2015, 11:52 AM
Dave

Quote:

We bring pitties into Pet Stores all the time, without anybody ever saying a word to us.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:59 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
We bring pitties into Pet Stores all the time, without anybody ever saying a word to us.
They are allowed (on a leash) into the grooming and training areas, but they are not allowed to mingle with other dogs.

If your PetSmart allows you to do that, then they are simply turning a blind eye.

The "Bully Breed" policy is posted on their corporate website.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:44 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
David, don't you want to answer my question?

Would you want Ben, Dave & Myself to euthanize our pets?
I already answered your question. Let me be crystal clear. I think ALL pit bulls should be euthanized so things like this are not allowed to happen...

The results of a pit bull attack.

Or things like this...

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2009/11/col...lp-attack.html
Old 02-17-2015, 11:48 AM
P.hil €lli$

You can only try to educate an ignorant person for so long. David is not going to change his mind. He's read everything he has needed to form his prejudice opinion.

All of your personal experience with pitbulls is impressive.

And you would have me euthanize my dog because someone was attacked by a "pit bull" in California? That makes a heck of a lot of sense.

Last edited by pgellis; 02-17-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:03 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgellis View Post
You can only try to educate an ignorant person for so long. David is not going to change his mind. He's read everything he has needed to form his prejudice opinion.

All of your personal experience with pitbulls is impressive.

And you would have me euthanize my dog because someone was attacked by a "pit bull" in California? That makes a heck of a lot of sense.

No, Phil, I'm not going to change my mind. I've seen too many stories, video footage and pictures of the aftermath of a pit bull attack. It bothers me even more when it's a child.

What does California have to do with anything? Are pit bull attacks isolated to only California?
Old 02-17-2015, 12:07 PM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
No, Phil, I'm not going to change my mind. I've seen too many stories, video footage and pictures of the aftermath of a pit bull attack. It bothers me even more when it's a child.

What does California have to do with anything? Are pit bull attacks isolated to only California?
This entire discussion evolved from the OP's unfortunate incident that took place in California. You made your ignorant opinion public by saying that you think all pit bulls should be euthanized.

So, I merely asked that "Should I have to euthanize my pet due to the circumstances of the OP that occurred in California"?
Old 02-17-2015, 12:28 PM
Dave

Quote:

I really hate to bring this up, but I found your posts a bit ironic considering the stances and arguments you make as a hyper-vigilant gun rights advocate.

Rationalizations are brought up like, Pools are dangerous to, why don't we ban pools. Kids die in pools all the time.

From statistics I can find 307 people total have been killed in the U.S. AND Canada by Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes in the 32 year span of 1982 to 2014. That's "total"! Kids, Adults, etc......

http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/32-year-...ack-trends.pdf

Now, I'm going to forget about total gun deaths per year in the U.S. alone, because that's just not fair. Total accidental gun deaths alone.........scrap that out because it's just a vulgar number.

How about just total "accidental" gun deaths in the U.S. alone for children under the age of 18. It's a tough statistic to even pin down, but it seems it ranges in the "100" number.....per year. About half that if you count children under the age of 13.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...-we-dont-know/

I won't even get into the number of people maimed by dogs (all dogs), compared to the number of people maimed by guns.

But I bet, depending on the state you live in, you can bring any number of guns into a PetSmart, without any repercussions at all.

Funny, it just so happens the gun lobby is far more powerful then the pit bull lobby.

You may claim none of this makes any sense to you, they are strawman arguments, not relevant to the point...........but I would disagree with you, especially if I chose to attack with the same logic you are to this topic.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:05 PM
Dave

Quote:
Part of the answer to that is in the story that Phil linked. Many are abandoned because of the owners living in apartments where the managment doesn't allow pit bulls.

Ok, then the next question should be "Why wouldn't an apartment complez allow pit bulls?" Simple, because many families and children live in apartment complexes and pit bulls are naturally aggressive. The apartment complex does not want to be sued in the event of an attack.

Another reason that many end up in shelters is because the owners get them and then realize how aggressive they are and just don't want them anymore.

Whatever the reason, it all leads back to the same point. Pit bulls are aggressive.

Pits are also an incredibly abused breed, yes most of them are dirt cheap and they tend to have huge litters. As bad as it is to say, they are the dog of choice in low rent and uneducated areas. I've lost count of how many female pits we've had in the shelter, who are just tossed out on the street after having a large litter of pups.

They are a working breed, even if they are not classified as such, and they need to be exercised regularly, just like any other working breed of dogs. People who keep them cooped up in small apartments, in tiny kennels and in backyards with thick chains attached to their necks should not own pit bulls. They can go crazy, just like people can.

If we don't have the time or energy to walk our dogs ourselves (and in reality most people don't for what most dogs really need), we throw them on a treadmill to get the proper amount of exercise.

I'm not going to pretend otherwise, Pits are the preferred dog of dogfighters, because they have powerful jaws, they can clamp down on their prey (they don't have lockjaw), and they have a super high tolerance for pain.

They are also extremely forgiving of their owners/masters. Meaning, these scumbags who fight dogs, can beat the ever loving snot out of them in training, and that pit will live for the one day a week that owner gives them positive attention, without ever turning on their master.