NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2015, 08:14 AM
Mike Dugan

Luke Appling late 1980's, he was very nice.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:25 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Mantle and Ford. They used to tour as an attraction to minor league baseball parks and sign autographs. One of the cooler things I got to do is Bob Feller would actually pitch to you for $2 with contributions going to youth organizations. Blooped a single over second base at the Charleston Charlies game in 1976 or so. I am 1-for-1 career vs. hall of famers.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:52 AM
Dave_Berg

Paige, DiMaggio in 70s
Old 01-23-2015, 09:09 AM

I remember in the early 90s I was at a Gloria Rothstein show with my dad and Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, and Joe DiMaggio were all signing at the same show. We didn't get any autographs, but my dad talked the attendant into letting us into the room for a minute so we could see them.

I was maybe 9 or 10 at the time.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:14 AM
Jason Albregts

Mantle and Whitey in 1987.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:00 PM

Hubbell, Gehringer and DiMaggio
Old 01-23-2015, 10:35 AM
John

On 2 or 3 occasions, in the mid-60s we would wait for Roberto Clemente to exit from the Forbes Field press gate after a game. We would walk with him to his car parked at an Atlantic gas station a block or so away.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:41 AM

Mickey Mantle. He was at a signing somewhere in Cincy. My grandpa took me and we got a ball signed. Still have it. I was nine at the time and can still remember the size of his hands when he shook mine. Great memories and great thread!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:56 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Bobby Doerr, Willie Mays, Bob Feller would be the older ones. Mel Allen as well.

I struck out Craig Biggio when he was in college and I was in high school. Their field over at Seton Hall had been deluged by rain that night and they used the field that our town team (in South Orange) used as a backup. We were practicing and they came in and we broke out into a scrimmage. I struck out Biggio before Mo Vaughn hit a ball so hard off me that I ducked. It went over the center field fence and I don't think it got higher than 20 feet the whole time.

This same field was used for a Babe Ruth/Lou Gehrig barnstorming event. There was a ball at auction recently signed by both with writing on it stating it was from that game in South Orange. Tried to get it but it went too high.

Tom C
Old 01-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Jason Stricker

Hank Aaron and Tom Glavine. Met them both back in the late 80s/early 90s when my Dad took me to a card show in Richmond, VA. They were doing a signing and I got two balls signed. Unfortunately, the balls have toned pretty badly, but still have the memories.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:11 AM

Default A couple of Football legends

I haven't met any baseball hall of famers. The most famous baseball player I met was Paul ONeil. The oldest athletes I have ever met were football legends Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen when I was a senior at Richmond High School in Indiana. They were super nice, but I did not know who they were at the time. If I knew then what I know now, I would have had so many questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 154788_10150358221265193_5092535_n.jpg (70.8 KB, 885 views)
Old 01-24-2015, 01:29 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

The first hall of famer I remember seeing in-person was Roy Campanella. He was at a San Diego Padres old-timers game back in the early 1970s. I don't recall if I said anything to him, as I was only around 10 years old at the time (and my mother was holding me back), but I do remember being on the sidewalk just outside San Diego Stadium when he and his assistant came out the gate and were getting into their vehicle after the game.

The first hall of famer I remember actually talking to was Duke Snider at a card show in 1979 in Fallbrook, California. I also met and got an autograph from Willie McCovey in 1974, as he was leaving the stadium after a game.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 01-24-2015, 02:07 AM

I attended the 1981 HOF inductions in Cooperstown. I remember seeing Cool Papa Bell in a drug store, quickly buying a pen and pad, and asking him for his autograph before he left. At this point in time, the public was allowed inside the Otesaga Hotel where I take it most of the HOF'ers stayed during induction weekend. So, my father took us there to have breakfast one morning, where we were seated next to Earl Averill and Freddie Lindstrom. Both were gracious enough to sign an autograph. I met a bunch of other players that day and still remember Jocko Conlan sitting in a big chair in the hotel lobby. I wrote him a letter a few years later mentioning that I met him at the hotel and requesting an autograph on an 8x10 and he sent it back personalized to me with the inscription 'Be Good to Your Parents' - three decades later, I get it.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:37 AM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Edd Roush. He lived in Oakland CITY, Indiana which was just about 10 miles from where I grew up. I'm gonna say it was about 1972. My buddy (who was a baseball nut like me) and I were thinking about how to get his autograph. One of us suddenly came up with the idea: "Hell, why don't we just drive over to his house?" Brilliant. Well, we did and we met Edd. He was just an on old man reading his newspaper or something. Nice. He signed a '61 Fleer for me and something for my buddy. Then he pulled out a stack of signed HOF postcards and gave us each one. Very cool, but I regret that I was so starstruck that I was a mumbling idiot. Could have asked him a thousand questions. But no.

Last edited by deadballfreaK; 01-24-2015 at 03:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-30-2015, 05:53 PM
Arnie

Duke Snider. Got his auto at a card show. Got Mays and Mantle too at other shows, but Snider came up before they did. Oh yeah, got White Ford too but he also came up when Mickey and Willie did, Snider still beats them all as the earliest.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:40 PM
Bry@n

I posted this story in the happy 100th birthday Joe D thread but thought a repost here would be appropriate because Joe D is the earliest that I ever met. Bob Feller is the second oldest.

I met Joe D in 199(5?) at the National in Chicago. I think he was charging $150 for an autograph so a teenage Jobu didn’t get one. However, my tale does not end here.

As luck would have it, my brother, father and I all chose to relieve ourselves mere seconds before Joe made the same call. My brother, 13 months younger than me, pissed to my left while Joe D, unbeknownst to me, pissed to my right. My brother started elbowing me and making noises in an effort to get me to look to my right. Thinking this was just typical younger brother harassment intended to cause me to break urinal etiquette and look at the guy next to me, I told him to knock it off and went to wash my hands. When I turned around from the sink I came face to face with Joe, who was stopped and looking right at me while waiting for my sink. My reaction must have been priceless, mouth immediately flying open and eyes wide, because Joe cracked a smile and said “Gotta take a piss, huh kid?” while he tapped me lightly on the arm. I was too shocked to offer much of a response, I think I cracked a half smile and nodded yes. But wait, there is more!

My dad, born in 1943, brother and I then walked out of the restroom grinning like kids who had just been given $50 and were about to be set loose in a candy store. As we slowly walked away, smiling from our encounter, I learned that my father did not share my concern for restroom etiquette, or at least was willing to break the rules if the situation required it. It turns out he was pissing to Joe D’s right and had recognized his neighbor. He broke the silence by uttering a statement that I will never forget “I just saw the unit that was in Marilyn Monroe.”
Old 01-31-2015, 03:19 AM
Fr@nk H.0r.v@th

Default Lou Brock

Lou Brock did an appearance in the town I was living in when I was about 8-9 years old... I remember him throwing us grounders and giving us pointers on the game... At the end of the day he gave all the kids a miniature glove that he signed... Probably the first and definitely one of the nicest professional athletes I have ever met.

I have actually met quite a few over the years, mostly because of my work. Couple quick stories...

Dan Marino. Super cool guy, I was 13 or so and he started a conversation with me.

Barry Bonds. I have met him numerous times and I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire. I know he's not HOF, but one of the biggest names I have met.

Jack Lambert. I worked up the nerve to ask him if I could shake his hand... I never ask for autos or handshakes when I am working but I couldn't resist. He shook my hand and I gushed, 'Thanks, Now I can tell my grandkids I met Jack Ham and Jack Lambert!!' He said 'Oh yea? Where did you meet the Hammer?' I told him the story and we ended up talking for about five minutes.

Norv Turner. Waaaay off board I know but the guy is genuinely awesome. Had to give him some props in a world filled with a lot of jerks. Trust me, I left a lot of negative stories out.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:32 AM

Default Hof

The earliest HOF inductees I've met were Bob Feller and Ralph Kiner. Met both of them while attending Sports card & Memorabilia shows. Got autographs of both, and a picture with Kiner; didn't have my camera for Feller. Living in NYC, I've had the opportunity to attend many shows over the years.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:23 AM
Dave

I shook Phil Rizzuto's hand when he was walking thru a show near Boston, when he was on his way to the autograph signing area.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:02 AM
Robert J. Miller

Tough one because I don't know the dates.

But in the early 1980's I met Mantle, DiMaggio, Williams, and Aaron at different card shows.

Then at the Hall Of Fame Induction weekend in the early 80's I also met Lefty Gomez along with Williams, Roberts and several others.

Then at a SABR meeting one time I met Buck Leonard and several other Negro League players like Sy Morton (although not a HOFer). Now they were awesome. It was great talking with them and they were just so willing to talk for hours one on one with you.

Robert
Old 09-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Mike Ryan

The Oakland Oaks in 1946 spring trained in the City of San Fernando. My Dad, who had the contract of moving their equipment, introduced me to Casey Stengal and Babe Herman. I still remember Shaking hands with Herman. His hand was bigger than my 1st basemans glove.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I haven't met any HOFers (yet) but I ran track in high school with a guy whose mom was a professional photographer. In the 80s she was hired to cover a show with Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio. So she went and spent the day an arms length away from the two of them, making small talk, and at the end of the show, they offered to sign as much stuff as she wanted, for free. She declined, because she was not an autograph collector.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:39 PM

Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio late 80's. Back in the day complaining on paying $15-$20 for an auto thinking it takes literally 10 seconds to sign your name on a ball - I wish I bought three dozen of each player.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:18 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I met Bob Feller at a card show just outside of New Orleans back in about '89.

And though he won't ever make the Hall of Fame, I likely saw Will Clark play in a high school game or two back when I was still on my first set of teeth.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Duncan

Back in the early '90's the Congressman who represents the Cooperstown area had a fundraiser every year during induction weekend and he would bring in several HOFers to meet and sign autographs. The best person to interact with was Harmon Killibrew but the oldest was Bob Feller. The man's grip even in his later years was freaking amazing and he was always cordial. Not a HOFer but a very cool person who would go was Buck O'Neil. The worst was Gaylord Perry.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:31 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
Back in the early '90's the Congressman who represents the Cooperstown area had a fundraiser every year during induction weekend and he would bring in several HOFers to meet and sign autographs. The best person to interact with was Harmon Killibrew but the oldest was Bob Feller. The man's grip even in his later years was freaking amazing and he was always cordial. Not a HOFer but a very cool person who would go was Buck O'Neil. The worst was Gaylord Perry.
Did he spit on you?
Old 01-23-2015, 09:43 AM
Ken McMillan

Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Ryne Sandberg, Fergie Banks all at Cubs Fantasy camp
Old 01-23-2015, 09:54 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Default Jackie Robinson

At the Martin Luther King, Jr. East-West All Star Classic (1970) at Dodger Stadium. Had to cut across the section that separated us, as the usher wasn't letting anyone down the aisle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment[1].jpg (23.6 KB, 966 views)
File Type: jpg attachment[2].jpg (16.1 KB, 971 views)
Old 01-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Did he spit on you?
Ha! At least that would constitute a form of interaction. He just sat there looking at his watch. I wonder why his cheating doesn't come up more often during the steroid discussions...
Old 01-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Ted Zanidakis

I first met Phil Rizzuto in 1953....he was my nearby neighbor (2 blocks away) in Hillside, NJ. Phil would drive his 1953 Nash Metropolitan past our home on his way to Yankee Stadium.

Visited with Johnny Mize in his hometown (Demorest, Georgia). A really great guy to talk baseball with. One of my all-time favorite Yankees players.

Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio....and, many, many more HOFers....that I have stories of.

TED Z
Old 01-23-2015, 10:02 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Muisal & Appling

Stan Musial and others....(Appling & Aparicio I think) were at an armory in Manhattan at a card show in the 1970s.

My grandfather used to send Stan Musial Maple Syrup that he tapped from Vermont in the 1950s.

I mentioned this to Stan and he remembered my grandpa. That was pretty cool.

Peace, Mike
Old 04-16-2020, 04:53 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
I found Gaylord Perry to be most gracious. Same with Phil NIekro and Fergie Jenkins. Whitey Ford and Bob Feller as well. Mr. Feller did plug his museum non stop though!
Old 04-16-2020, 05:46 PM

When I read the title to this thread quickly, I thought it said "ugliest" and I was like ...

Wow! Two pages on who the ugliest HOFer is! Can't believe the thread got that many responses!

Guess I need to improve my reading comprehension skills,
Patrick
Old 01-23-2015, 03:28 PM
Sam Lemoine

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I met Bob Feller at a card show just outside of New Orleans back in about '89.

And though he won't ever make the Hall of Fame, I likely saw Will Clark play in a high school game or two back when I was still on my first set of teeth.
I played against Will Clark when I was in high school. I actually had a higher batting average than he did. Of course, mine were singles and his were often not singles. He got college scholarship offers. I did not.

My earliest HOF encounter was in 1980. I was a teenager and my dad's boss got me in to meet the Orioles and the Yankees in a preseason game in the Superdome. I got to meet Yogi, Frank Robinson, Jim Palmer, and Reggie Jackson (plus Mike Flanagan, Bob Watson, Ron Guidry, and Jim Spencer). It was a blast!

In 1976 I got to go to the Pete Maravich Basketball Camp at the University of New Orleans, so if we aren't specific about baseball, he was the first HOFer I met.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:54 PM
John Mavroudis

Default Met two...

My grandmother was good friends with George "High Pockets" Kelly and his wife. They invited her to his HOF Induction ceremony in 1973. She went and brought me back an autographed program with a few other HOFs... (as soon as I find it, I'll scan and post)... I went over to his house later that year (I was 11 years old at the time) and he told me some amazing stories of the 1921 NY Giants... also told a doozy of a story involving a fight between Casey Stengel and Leo Durocher... Stengel was kind of a mentor to Kelly... First time I recall hearing the term "son of a bitch." (Kelly was NOT fond of the Lip.). I also got a tour of his trophy room and he gave me an autographed baseball. Pretty cool.

I also met Willie Mays at the San Jose Airport. We talked for about 20 minutes before the plane boarded. This was around 1989... He talked about how much he liked Kevin Mitchell, talked about the current Giants. He also recounted some stories from his past (talking about how that great catch in the '54 World Series wasn't nearly his best... and said preventing the runner from tagging up was the biggest thing.) I know he has a history of people saying he was ornery, but he was awesome to me.

I guess (according to some)... I met the greatest and the worst HOFers ever.

www.zenpop.com

Last edited by ZenPop; 01-23-2015 at 04:58 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-23-2015, 07:23 PM

I attended the 1971 Hall of Fame induction in Cooperstown, my first trip there (I was 21). After the HOF activities were over, I met with 15 other guys in the HOF Library for the Founding meeting of the Society for American Baseball Research (SABR) (and if you're not a member yet, you should join!).

I spent quite a bit of time sitting in the lobby of the Otesaga Hotel, where the players stayed, and I met dozens of oldtimers. I was in awe.

I met four Hall of Famers born before 1890 - Rube Marquard, Harry Hooper, Zach Wheat and Stan Coveleski. Marquard was the oldest at 84 , born 10-9-1886.

But the oldest former player I met was Larry Gardner. He was there to see his old Red Sox teammate Harry Hooper inducted. Gardner was born 5-13-86, about five months before Marquard, and made his ML debut in June 1908, three months before Rube.

I sat for a while in the hotel lobby talking to Marquard, when he said "Are you going to be here for awhile?" When I assured him that I would be he said "I'm going to run up to my room and get something, wait for me til I get back." In a few minutes he did return, carrying a large old scrapbook of his career. We sat for several hours while he went through the scrapbook, telling me stories about the games and the many guys he played with.

Can you imagine something like that happening today? I've always appreciated the time that he gave me, and I corresponded with him up until his death. I wish that I had gotten a photo of us together. I did get a photo of me with Harry Hooper and Ernie Shore that year, however, that I later sent and got signed by both.