NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Jay Shelton

It was this one:
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=197508030TEX

California Angels at Texas Rangers. My dad took our family and we sat behind the visitor dugout at old Arlington Stadium (which was unusual as we would sit on the home side after this) so that my dad could introduce us to one of the Angels that he taught and coached in the Dallas High school system, Dave Chalk. Got his autograph on the program still today.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Larry More.y

As a Yankees fan, it was hard to admit my first MLB game was a Red Sox game, 5.10.80. The Eck got shelled.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=198005100BOS

My parents were not comfortable taking me to the Bronx....good call on their part as later in the summer of 80 during my first trip to the Stadium a HUGE fight broke out in the right field stands where we were sitting. I saw one of NYC's finest get hurled over multiple rows of seats, etc. The right field stands looked like a warzone....Reggie looked back and just shook his head.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=198006220NYA

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 09-26-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:24 AM
Ben North

My first game was 9-14-89 the Twins VS Blue Jays. Box Score http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=198909140MIN

After this game I was hooked. Minneapolis is 300 miles 1 way from my house and till the Twins built the outdoor stadium I took that 600 mile round trip to see 100's of games. For some reason as soon as they quit playing at The Dome I quit watching baseball completely. The Yankee game last night was the first game I even watched on tv in years.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:30 AM
J!m.b0n0v!ch

I have done this as well. I recently came across the ticket stubs from my first game. It was July 10, 1983. The Indians played the Twins at the Metrodome. The Twins won 6-4. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=198307100MIN

I have collected autographed cards of all of the players, umpires, and both managers that participated in the game. I am getting them framed and matted, along with the ticket stubs and box score to give to my Dad for Christmas. I only wish I had a picture of us from that day.

And these are from my daughter's first game. I took her to Comerica Park 25 years to the day of my first game. We saw the Twins beat the Tigers in 11 innings, with Justin Morneau hitting a home run in the top of the 11th. http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=200807100DET

Old 09-26-2014, 04:12 PM

Mine was 8/25/59--Dodgers at phillies at old connie mack stadium. There were 10 future HOFers paid by the Dodgers or phillies in the park for the game (plus umpire). Can anyone name the HOFers?
Old 09-26-2014, 08:34 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets41 View Post
Mine was 8/25/59--Dodgers at phillies at old connie mack stadium. There were 10 future HOFers paid by the Dodgers or phillies in the park for the game (plus umpire). Can anyone name the HOFers?
Snider, Ashburn, Anderson, Roberts, Alston, Koufax, Drysdale, Campanella, O'Malley, and Conlon

Very Tricky!
?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 09-26-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:42 PM

July 2, 1960. Cleveland at Washington. I was 10 years old.

Remarkably, the only two major leaguers to have attended my high school (Granby High, Norfolk, Va) both appeared in that game. Chuck Stobbs and Hank Foiles were high school battery mates.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:22 AM
FredYoung

My 1st game was very memorable as I saw BOTH Jackie Robinson & Roy Campanella hit home runs!

Sat May 9, 1953 when I was 12 yrs old, I saw my 1st game at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn, Dodgers-Phillies w/ Preacher Roe against Robin Roberts.

A back & forth game in which the Dodgers won w/ 2 outs in the 9th via a walk-off (they didn't call it that back then) 2-run shot by Campanella against a route-going Robin Roberts for a 7-6 Dodger win.

I still have my ticket stub from the game!

Here's the box score and all the players I saw that day:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...95305091.shtml
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ticebbetsa.jpg (38.1 KB, 84 views)
Old 09-27-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Snider, Ashburn, Anderson, Roberts, Alston, Koufax, Drysdale, Campanella, O'Malley, and Conlon

Very Tricky!
?
Campanella is wrong, O'Mally is also wrong, Conlan was the umpire (not paid by either team). You missed Reese (coach for Dodgers), Dodger announcer Scully and phillie announcer Saam.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:58 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets41 View Post
Campanella is wrong, O'Mally is also wrong, Conlan was the umpire (not paid by either team). You missed Reese (coach for Dodgers), Dodger announcer Scully and phillie announcer Saam.
I don't know if they were actually at the ballpark that day, but Peter O'Malley, as team owner, was definitely paid by the Dodgers and I'm fairly sure they kept Campanella on the payroll even after his accident.

I erred on the ump and forgot that PeeWee was a coach and the announcers altogether, but the two above would make it a dozen if they were there.

I'm ashamed I forgot the best Baseball Broadcaster ever.
?
?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 09-27-2014 at 08:03 PM.