NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Not sure I see the issue here.
Not sure it's so much of an issue, but I'm curious why someone who has a massive mega-collection (the likes of which I'm surely jealous) would want to be doing all of this flipping for a few hundred dollars here and there, if and when a buyer is found. It just doesn't seem worth it for someone who has such a huge collection, but maybe that's just me...

I was an underbidder on one of those items, so I actually do find it annoying to see the person who outbid me did it solely for the purpose of trying to flip it the next day. So yeah, he's free to do what he wants, but it's just more annoying to see why I was outbid.

Last edited by scooter729; 10-20-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Not sure it's so much of an issue, but I'm curious why someone who has a massive mega-collection (the likes of which I'm surely jealous) would want to be doing all of this flipping for a few hundred dollars here and there, if and when a buyer is found. It just doesn't seem worth it for someone who has such a huge collection, but maybe that's just me...

I was an underbidder on one of those items, so I actually do find it annoying to see the person who outbid me did it solely for the purpose of trying to flip it the next day. So yeah, he's free to do what he wants, but it's just more annoying to see why I was outbid.
I just don't get that. I bet a high percentage of items in any auction are bought by people with the intention to resell.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Ja,mie B.

You own it, you can do what you want with it.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:03 PM
pete ullman

Well if someone buys it now Dan can buy a plane ticket with some of his profits and fly over to REA to pick it up tomorrow... Then send it t0 the winner... Simple as that!
Old 10-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I just don't get that. I bet a high percentage of items in any auction are bought by people with the intention to resell.
I doubt it's a "high" percentage which are bought with the intent to immediately re-sell. Of course some are bought for that reason, and I likely may sell some of my things at some point (I'm not planning to be buried with these cards).

But I would be really surprised if it's a high percentage of items which are bought solely for the intent to immediately resell.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I doubt it's a "high" percentage which are bought with the intent to immediately re-sell. Of course some are bought for that reason, and I likely may sell some of my things at some point (I'm not planning to be buried with these cards).

But I would be really surprised if it's a high percentage of items which are bought solely for the intent to immediately resell.
Still not sure why it matters what he, or anyone else for that matter, chooses to do with his or her merchandise?

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 10-20-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Mike C@.v3

Not sure that the OP said he had an issue with it. I think it was more of a "hey, look at this" type of thing.

I agree with some here that say if you can make money off of reselling an item, why not??
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 10-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Exactly, I flip myself....was just pointing it out......just the quickness of it to Ebay, and the comments on here made it worthy of conversation.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Exactly, I flip myself....was just pointing it out......just the quickness of it to Ebay, and the comments on here made it worthy of conversation.
No, you're right. Absolutely nothing wrong with pointing it out...I just wouldn't want a thread created every time someone noticed me doing it that's all. Of course in that case I'd be embarrassed seeing as how I'm not above flipping for a $20 profit, lol!!
Old 10-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Still not sure why it matters what he, or anyone else for that matter, chooses to do with his or her merchandise?
It doesn't. Some of us just think it is funny though. Sort of like the commercial where someone bids on and wins a work of art through an auction house (presumably Sotheby's) then wants to turn around and immediately run it back through the exact same auction. I think that commercial is funny, as I think the immediate flip before one even has his items in hand is funny as well.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:47 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
It doesn't. Some of us just think it is funny though. Sort of like the commercial where someone bids on and wins a work of art through an auction house (presumably Sotheby's) then wants to turn around and immediately run it back through the exact same auction. I think that commercial is funny, as I think the immediate flip before one even has his items in hand is funny as well.
I see where you're coming from. I guess its less noteworthy for a nickel and dimer like myself because I do that all the time...its what keeps the hobby viable for me on a modest income