NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
It's basically a contract. If you buy this ticket, and you enter the stadium, you are entered into it and waive your right to free speech. It's just the Yankees covering their ass in case someone tries to sue based on free speech.

That's probably already happened. I have a friend who works as a librarian for a law firm and he says whenever I see some crazy warning on something like "don't use hedge trimmer in shower" or "don't pick up lawnmower while running" You can be sure someone was actually that stupid, sued and won because there were no warnings or directions covering that. (The first example I made up, the second actually happened, someone picked up a running gas lawnmower an attempted to use it as a hedge trimmer with -at least to me- predictable results. He won )

So it's probable that someone got kicked out of Yankee stadium and sued based on free speech. Even if they didn't win, that's an expensive thing for the team, so it goes on the ticket.

Have a read of the back of a ski lift ticket someday. When I started in the 70's the back basically said "skiing can be dangerous and you're responsible if you do something silly" Now it says that in something like 4 paragraphs. (They can and will also send you off to rentals if you have really old equipment and it's not a planned vintage ski day)

Steve B
Old 05-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Paul

When people cite their First Amendment rights on here, there are always a bunch of lawyers who like to point out the lack of governmental action here on a private message board. To get side tracked by what the Constitution says in this context is really besides the point.

The only point is what limitations on your ability to say whatever you want on Net54 are put in place by Leon. To say that he operates anything but a card forum that encourages the free expression of ideas related to baseball cards is just plain wrong. You have all of the freedom on here that you need or deserve.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Banned

once the cherry picking begins on what to allow and what not to allow, people will try to figure out how to get in good with the moderator, then it goes from there. (i am not saying this moderator can be bought), but others have been) we have seen it on other sites.

if someone slanders, then sue that person. period. otherwise it gets to a point where preferred speech is allowed, and the stuff that some people dont like to hear is not allowed. thats bad news. you cant get two sides of a story if one side is banned. if someone wants the moderator to decide what is slander and libel and what isnt, then we have created a sticky wicket. the moderator should need to have a law degree to moderate. i think the person that complained either didnt read the forum rules or thought they shouldnt apply to him? its right there in black and white and if he doesnt like it, there are the north korea sites out there that some of us have tried, and its no fun.

Last edited by travrosty; 05-19-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:29 AM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I like Adrian. He grows on you after awhile
I like Adrian also. I think enthusiasm is great for the hobby.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 05-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

IMO no need to remove posts. An open forum is exactly that, open to say what you want.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:19 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Way late to the party...but as a Moderator on a very large Waterfowl hunting forum for over 13 years, I appreciate the fact Leon has stayed firm with his convictions and position, regardless of who is PM/Messaging him. All too often Moderators play both sides of the fence to appease the squeaky wheel and it just causes issues and you loose forum integrity. I happen to 100% agree with him on this issue, but even if I didn't, I am just glad there is zero waffling...this makes a forum strong and respected. I have seen too many forums on various subjects die because of this...thanks Leon!

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 05-20-2013, 05:51 AM
Bill Gregory

I am a firm believer in transparency. Anybody can read this forum, as it should be.

Leon, I applaud your response. There are few rules in place, and they are on display for all to see. You have made it abundantly clear that forum members are responsible for their own actions, and as adults, we need to understand what we do or say can have consequences. If this person that messaged you has taken issue with a member's posts, they are free to pursue them legally if they so choose. Beyond that, I don't understand what they expected from you.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:58 AM

At least you won't be kicked off this board for complete and utter bullshit reasons. You can speak your mind and as stated earlier "not run like a Korean dictatorship".

Last edited by Sean1125; 05-20-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetwoohsix View Post
If you do not know what natural, God given rights are then you will never understand.

Sincerely, Clayton
Puhleese, let's leave the "my god is mightier than yours" nonsense out of this discussion of baseball card chat board policies. Assuming arguendo there is a god, I don't think she cares about what is posted here.

But I digress. Leon, you are doing just fine with this board in terms of content of speech. About the only speech that needs to be regulated are (1) posts threatening other people, and (2) posts by scammers seeking to rip off people. Those things are damaging to the community and in violation of the rules already. The rest is fair game as far as I am concerned.

I also think that whoever it was who pitched the hissy fit needs to grow a pair. Ten seconds after the post is put up no one is really going to care that someone made #2 on your auctions unless you really are dirty. In all candor, most of the ranters who see conspiracies under every rock on Ebay or at a TPG and post about it incessantly sound demented inside of a few posts. Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-21-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:45 PM

Fine as is Leon....you do a really fine job of keeping the riff raffs to a minimum... besides we seem to have all the guys (and gals?) with legal backgrounds chime in when we are edging towards the ledge of trouble... I feel safe and warm in here most days...

Ricky Y
Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Puhleese, let's leave the "my god is mightier than yours" nonsense out of this discussion of baseball card chat board policies. Assuming arguendo there is a god, I don't think she cares about what is posted here.
Where the heck did that come from? He said "God given rights" - that could be any god of any religion. If you have such a problem with someone believing that there is a god, you should move to Seattle.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Clayton

"Puhleese, let's leave the "my god is mightier than yours" nonsense out of this discussion of baseball card chat board policies. Assuming arguendo there is a god, I don't think she cares about what is posted here."

What a way to twist my words around. You must be a lawyer.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 05-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Ja,mie B.

Freedom of Speech is a natural law, but so is the right to defend oneself and one's property. So when two natural laws conflict, which one prevails? In cases of slander or defamation, US law generally believes that it is a limit to free speech and the right to defend one's property (by extension their reputation) would prevail.

But to each his own opinion...
Old 05-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by runscott View Post
if you have such a problem with someone believing that there is a god, you should move to seattle.
lol
Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
If you have such a problem with someone believing that there is a god, you should move to Seattle.
lol, good one...
Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Where the heck did that come from? He said "God given rights" - that could be any god of any religion. If you have such a problem with someone believing that there is a god, you should move to Seattle.
Why does it have to be a god at all? Why does a god have to intrude into the discussion?

To answer your question, where my comment came from is my frustration at seeing a discussion of board policies degenerate into a religious statement that was used to close out the discussion by, in essence, telling anyone who disagrees with the concept of a god-given right that he is wrong. The problem I had with that statement is not that Clayton believes in god--though that is the canard that the religious often resort to when confronted with the intellectual problems of the belief-based underpinnings of their arguments as to secular issues--but that he asserted a so-called natural set of rights which he postulated derive directly from a divine being as the basis for his intellectual position in a discussion of what subjects should be allowed to be discussed on a baseball card chat board.

As for your commentary, first, I am not sure what Seattle did to merit your apparent disdain--I've never been there--but I guess I can take your word for it that it somehow sucks sufficiently to serve as a destination for people with whom you disagree. Just how bad is Seattle? Are you saying that all non-believers are to be concentrated in Seattle? To what purpose or end, if I might ask, should we be exiled to that terrible place? Surely, it cannot be just to prevent us from posting on N54; although I've not been there, I assume that Seattle has internet service and people who live there could in theory post to N54? Is that wrong? Can anyone from Seattle stand up, JoJo Who style, and let us know that a person's a person, no matter how Seattle-based?

Setting that issue aside, yours is an interesting and [in my view] logically challenged position to take. What you wrote in essence is that if I do not believe in god I have to go to a place that you presumably find distasteful or unwholesome. If that is not what you meant to write, by all means please clarify your position. If, however, I have accurately deconstructed your statement, then I have to ask whether you also agree that I can with equal validity hold the opposite view, namely that if you have a problem with someone not believing in religions or gods maybe you should move to somewhere like Tehran? If my suggesting that you go to Tehran because you are not an atheist is a problematic concept for you to swallow, perhaps you should rethink your statement.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-21-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoele$$ View Post
lol, good one...
Right, from a guy who lives in Vegas...Say, maybe I could go to Las Vegas instead? I could make that work...

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-21-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
"Puhleese, let's leave the "my god is mightier than yours" nonsense out of this discussion of baseball card chat board policies. Assuming arguendo there is a god, I don't think she cares about what is posted here."

What a way to twist my words around. You must be a lawyer.

Sincerely, Clayton
Nice ad hominem attack there, buddy. I don't see what my job has to do with anything, anymore than my race or national origin.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-21-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Belltown Vintage

Adam, this is two posts in a row where you responded to a straw man of your own creation; thoroughly, it's true, and I anxiously wait your straw man's reply.

(are you going to create a forum membership for him?)
Old 05-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Adam, this is two posts in a row where you responded to a straw man of your own creation; thoroughly, it's true, and I anxiously wait your straw man's reply.

(are you going to create a forum membership for him?)
Wrong, again, Scott. It is three

Or not...
Old 05-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Nice ad hominem attack there, buddy. I don't see what my job has to do with anything, anymore than my race or national origin.
I think I mentioned the word "God" one time.....are you that sensitive? I said "you must be a lawyer" because lawyers are good at twisting people's words around, which is what you did with my statement. You are, in my opinion, leaning this thread into a "religious" thing.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 05-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Ja,mie B.

Adam does make a decent point - natural law is natural, not theological. So the natural rights wouldn't be God-given.

"even the will of an omnipotent being cannot change or abrogate" natural law, which "would maintain its objective validity even if we should assume the impossible, that there is no God or that he does not care for human affairs." - Hugo Grotius

This is an important distinction because it serves to prevent human rights abuses against non-believers or primitive peoples. So natural law must derive from the natural world, and our natural state as human beings, not from God.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I'm so glad I did a lot of acid in the sixties.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Clayton

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 05-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."

Sincerely, Clayton
Good one.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyseymour View Post
Good one.
Thanks

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 05-21-2013, 07:24 PM
Daryl

Quote:

Sincerely, Clayton
+ a gazillion or three
Old 05-21-2013, 07:28 PM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

Quote:
Right, from a guy who lives in Vegas...Say, maybe I could go to Las Vegas instead? I could make that work...
With your attitude...you're better off staying where you're at

We have enough socially awkward people here to last us a lifetime, we're good, thanks though.

Last edited by Shoele$$; 05-21-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoele$$ View Post
With your attitude...you're better off staying where you're at

We have enough socially awkward people here to last us a lifetime, we're good, thanks though.
It's tough avoiding the temptation to 'win' discussions in an internet forum - most fail (to avoid the temptation), and I certainly include myself in that group. When this happens, all you can do is apologize and move on. There are a few people in this forum who I have offended at one time or another, and who have refused to forget and move on. It makes me uncomfortable to be so important to someone who I have never met.

I sincerely hope to meet a good chunk of you at the National, and to mend some of the past offenses.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
It's tough avoiding the temptation to 'win' discussions in an internet forum - most fail (to avoid the temptation), and I certainly include myself in that group. When this happens, all you can do is apologize and move on. There are a few people in this forum who I have offended at one time or another, and who have refused to forget and move on. It makes me uncomfortable to be so important to someone who I have never met.

I sincerely hope to meet a good chunk of you at the National, and to mend some of the past offenses.
I thought you were going to say there are a few people in this forum you "haven't" offended .

Last edited by Leon; 05-21-2013 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Clayton

Because I want to respect the fact that this is a vintage baseball card forum, and really didn't intend to offend anyone here, I posted in the watercooler section of this board where off topics are welcomed.

Rather than starting a new thread, since what I posted was relevant to the conversation on the "assault weapon ban" thread, I posted a link to a video that I would hope anyone interested in "the Constitution" and "the Bill of Rights" would take a look at.

I doubt anyone can deny anything in that film.

Thank you for the open forum Leon

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I thought you were going to say there are a few people in this forum you "haven't" offended .
That would probably be more accurate, but at least I'm good for increasing post-count

I can honestly say, with only one exception, everyone who ever thought they were an internet enemy, became a friend when we met. Of course, that might be due to the other guy's magnanimity, but it still counts.

There is one guy here who I am afraid might punch me in real life, but I'm relying on you to warn me if he gets too close
Old 05-21-2013, 08:41 PM

Default Interesting Thread

"Are you saying Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?"
- Eddie Harris Major League
Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 AM
Steve Birmingham

The directions this has gone reminded me of this........

Conan: What gods do you pray to?

Subotai: I pray to the four winds... and you?

Conan: To Crom... but I seldom pray to him, he doesn't listen.

Subotai: [chuckles] What good is he then? Ah, it's just as I've always said.

Conan: He is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of cardboard?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Crom, strong on his mountain!

Subotai: Ah, my god is greater.

Conan: [chuckles] Crom laughs at your four winds. He laughs from his mountain.

Subotai: My god is stronger. He is the everlasting sky! Your god lives underneath him.

[Conan shoots Subotai a skeptical look. Subotai laughs]

With apologies to the writers of the original

Steve B
Old 05-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:

I find that fences get mended pretty darn quick when you're buying the first few rounds!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The directions this has gone reminded me of this........

Conan: What gods do you pray to?

Subotai: I pray to the four winds... and you?

Conan: To Crom... but I seldom pray to him, he doesn't listen.

Subotai: [chuckles] What good is he then? Ah, it's just as I've always said.

Conan: He is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, "What is the riddle of cardboard?" If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me. That's Crom, strong on his mountain!

Subotai: Ah, my god is greater.

Conan: [chuckles] Crom laughs at your four winds. He laughs from his mountain.

Subotai: My god is stronger. He is the everlasting sky! Your god lives underneath him.

[Conan shoots Subotai a skeptical look. Subotai laughs]

With apologies to the writers of the original

Steve B

NO, they should apologize to us!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I find that fences get mended pretty darn quick when you're buying the first few rounds!
Greedy, aren't we?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
NO, they should apologize to us!
Not a fan I guess?

I was refering to my swapping "cardboard" for "steel" in the quote. Something I think everyone missed.

Having finally read a few of the books it wasn't that bad a movie, could have been, but was saved by the only actor available at the time who would have been at all convincing.
Hercules in New York on the other hand.....

Steve B
Old 05-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Not a fan I guess?

I was refering to my swapping "cardboard" for "steel" in the quote. Something I think everyone missed.

Having finally read a few of the books it wasn't that bad a movie, could have been, but was saved by the only actor available at the time who would have been at all convincing.
Hercules in New York on the other hand.....

Steve B
Steve,

I got the reference, and yes, I thought it was a bad movie - but your post was excellent!

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Steve,

I got the reference, and yes, I thought it was a bad movie - but your post was excellent!
Thanks.

My sense of humor can be strange, and either is too obscure or too over the top at times. I seldom know if it's just missed or not funny.

If there are clips online of the original Hercules in NY check it out. Briefly. Arnolds accent was so bad they dubbed it with someone who had no accent. It makes Conan look like Oscar material.

I agree conan isn't great compared to some of the really great films, but it's way beyond the crop of really awful imitations that followed. There are very few action movies that work as serious films. And even fewer that come out of Hollywood.

Steve B