NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM
PeterB

Emc2 = 54
Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 AM
John Harrell

I have it on good authority that the name came from a meeting of "Monster set" collectors, 54 to be exact, who decided to create this forum where only posts pertaining to their beloved set would be allowed. Not sure how nonMonster set posts ever got started.

John
Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I just emailed Frank quite a long explanation and he can post it whenever he wants to. Nice thread and nice stories guys....
Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterb69 View Post
Emc2 = 54
Interesting. In that equation. There appears to be multiple possiblities for the values of e m and c. They can all equal 3, although I'd lean toward that being unlikely, as it would've been more simple to assign a cubed singular varible. Although it is possible assuming that e, c and m could all be the same number, if they were representing different theoretical specifics. The more likely scenario being any combination that has one of them equaling 1, another equaling 3, and the third equaling 9..

In the context of that equation e definitely does not equal mc˛, in term of a fully whole number valued equation.

Unless, your large 2 represented "square". Then we're left with a different set of possibilities all-together. C could equal 1, while e and m could be interchangeably represent the numbers 2 and 27, 1 and 54, 3 and 18, or 6 and 9. It's possible that c could equal 3, while e and m represent 1 and 6, or 2 and 3. C could be represented by either positive or negative numbers. As it pertains to e and m. They could only both be negative or both be positive, but not 1 of each..

Again, we are not left with a solely whole number valued equation that can make e=mc˛.

Assuming that both emc2=54 AND e=mc˛, or emc˛=54 and e=mc˛, fractions and decimals are the only possibilities.

Last edited by novakjr; 02-01-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

I think it was from a 12 year old named Adam who was missing #54 from his set. He was definitely into older police partner TV shows like "DragNet" and "Car(d) 54 Where are you?".
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Interesting. In that equation. There appears to be multiple possiblities for the values of e m and c. They can all equal 3, although I'd lean toward that being unlikely, as it would've been more simple to assign a cubed singular varible. Although it is possible assuming that e, c and m could all be the same number, if they were representing different theoretical specifics. The more likely scenario being any combination that has one of them equaling 1, another equaling 3, and the third equaling 9..

In the context of that equation e definitely does not equal mc˛, in term of a fully whole number valued equation.

Unless, your large 2 represented "square". Then we're left with a different set of possibilities all-together. C could equal 1, while e and m could be interchangeably represent the numbers 2 and 27, 1 and 54, 3 and 18, or 6 and 9. It's possible that c could equal 3, while m and c represent 1 and 6, or 2 and 3. C could be represented by either positive or negative numbers. As it pertains to e and m. They could only both be negative or both be positive, but not 1 of each..

Again, we are not left with a solely whole number valued equation that can make e=mc˛.

Assuming that both emc2=54 AND e=mc˛, or emc˛=54 and e=mc˛, fractions and decimals are the only possibilities.
David, I used the numbers on my telephone keypad, squared the c and multiplied and came up with 72, so if Emc2 is correct, welcome all to

Net72

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:48 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
David, I used the numbers on my telephone keypad, squared the c and multiplied and came up with 72, so if Emc2 is correct, welcome all to

Net72
The first portion of that was assuming that the larger 2 was just a 2... The second portion addressed as if it represented a "square".

Last edited by novakjr; 02-01-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
I could be wrong. But I'm pretty sure that the way it is written, you would square the value of c before doing anything else with it. Otherwise it would need to be written as (emc)˛
3 * 6 * (2*2) = 72

Don't screw around with a math major.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
3 * 6 * (2*2) = 72

Yes, yes. you confused the hell out of me for a moment there. I see the error, I accidentally assigned c twice in one of those possibilities. I'll go back and fix it.

I've just been playing around anyways. Gimme a break lol.. It's probably been 16 years since I've even seriously entertained a math problem. The last time would've been AP Calculus during my Junior year of HS.. I won't count my semester in college, because I was pretty much drunk or hungover the whole time..

Last edited by novakjr; 02-01-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
3 * 6 * (2*2) = 72

Even with my mistake, I don't see a possibility that I listed which e,m and c would result in any combination of 3, 6 and 2 together.

NEVERMIND. I get it now. It wasn't anything I did. I misread your reasoning, and it went straight over my head..

Last edited by novakjr; 02-01-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:44 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default It's not that hard

The answer is really much easier than that guys.

54 cards is the tipping point for most people who tackle the monster. Many, many people eventually try to defeat the monster and nearly all of them slink away with their tails between their legs. But careful analysis by Ted and many other long time collectors identified the number 54 as the point of no return. Once a collector had acquired their 54th card from the T206 set they were once and forever ensnared in the monsters NET.

Or, at the kickoff meeting for the Vintage Card Collectors Forum, each member was given one vote when electing a president. While there were only 12 people in attendance, it was quickly noted that there were 54 votes cast. A quick investigation discovered the discrepancy resulted when each of the Bruce Dorskinds had voted separately.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:01 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post

Or, at the kickoff meeting for the Vintage Card Collectors Forum, each member was given one vote when electing a president. While there were only 12 people in attendance, it was quickly noted that there were 54 votes cast. A quick investigation discovered the discrepancy resulted when each of the Bruce Dorskinds had voted separately.
If this isn't the reason Net54 got it's name, well, it should be...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post

that was good...
Old 02-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
It's so much fun seeing everyone jumping for the carrot. I feel like the rabbit at the greyhound track. Eric, I thought your post was autobiographical until the death scene. Please assure us that you are still alive.
Frank,

After a long night, I did wake up dead this morning...but feel much better now

Thanks for your concern

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 02-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Dan

I'm a frequent thread reader (lurker) waiting for an answer to this one.....

This is my first post here, and I'm waiting an answer to this!

Why five four?!?!?!?!?
Old 02-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Frank posted the answer a few posts back - it was due to the creator being a 1954 Brooklyn fan - not the climatic ending i was hoping for lol
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
Frank posted the answer a few posts back - it was due to the creator being a 1954 Brooklyn fan - not the climatic ending i was hoping for lol
I would think a true Brooklyn Dodgers fan would have chosen Net55...

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 02-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
Oops, sorry, my bad. I thought I was following this thread pretty closely, but after 10 pages, I guess I wasn't as sup to par as I thought.

Not quite the amazing ending to this I was hoping for either...

lulz???

Last edited by oddity; 02-02-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:47 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Half time at the Super Bowl is still in play.

If you're attending a good party, don't worry it'll be there when you get home.

25 hours to go. Should be about 7PM CST

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default The Saga of "54" and the Truth

Few know that Net 54 was the initial online dating site.
Inspired by the Marvelettes' hit single "Beechwood 45789"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucu83CZKeGg
The 5***4 portion of the title is based on encryption of that song title.
Vintage cards were introduced to the site by a gal named Lola
in an effort to get lucky with a member known only as leon.
Interestingly this is the same encryption methodology used by Ebay today.

I have been looking for evidence to substantiate this contention regarding leon, Lola and the Marvelettes. I decided to pick an area code at random (760) and dialed Beechwood 45789. A cub reporter named Farleigh from the Desert Sun in Palm Springs answered the phone. I explained the reason for my call and Farleigh assured me he would look into it.
Well, it wasn't long, before I could finish my venison tostada, that Farleigh returned my call. In the newspaper's archives he found evidence of a clandestine meeting that took place in the early nineties between the Marvelettes warm up band, "The Baker's Dozen", and a group of card soakers know only as "The Dirty Dozen". What makes this even more compelling though is the location of the meeting, the Bistro 29 in Twentynine Palms, just up the highway from Palm Springs. Far be it for me to doubt Farleigh's research and if I'm not mistaken 13+12+29=54. I think I'm getting closer to the truth.

Heading to Bistro 29 tomorrow to look for gum stuck under the tables. I'll run it down to Newport for DNA analysis. I'm guessing members of The Dirty Dozen may be lurking on the Board right now. I realize this is a dangerous mission, but I wouldn't be caught dead in Inkster, Michigan, home of the Marvelettes.

Surveillance video from Homeland Security released today clearly identifies border crossings 54 miles east of Yuma by a band of 12 mean hombres disguised as a mariachi band. When the musical troupe couldn’t play “Cielito Lindo” upon a request from the Border Patrol, they were apprehended. HS confirmed the identity of the band as the "Dirty Dozen", aka the Sonoran Soakers. Seized musical instruments were found to contain rebacked T206s that tested positive for heroin and possibly other contraband. Agents became suspicious when they noticed “crack” in the cracks of a particularly well worn example of Harry Lumley. Apparently the Sonoran Soakers were using the contraband laden cards as envelopes with team names to indicate the final destination of each delivery. With the interception of the Brooklyn bound delivery, residents there are warned to use caution as street violence is expected to increase with the break in the supply chain. If you have friends or relatives in Brooklyn, please keep them in your prayers. Residents of the other 52 cities represented in the T206 set are also urged to exercise caution with the apprehension of the Sonoran Soakers.

Who could have imagined a defunct soul trio and their back up band, a desert bistro, the Border Patrol, drug traffickers, a temptress named Lola, and a member known only as leon were behind our little site known as Net54baseball? As improbable as all this sounds, don’t jump to any conclusions until you hear a member known only as leon’s version

“Frank, I beg to differ. Let me explain the truth behind Net54. When the forum was originated, it was right after the demise of the original Full Count board, which was started by John Spencer and (current) board member Mike Williams, in around 1998. After a two or three years John got tired of getting threatened with lawsuits, and all that went on, and shut it down. Elliot Bassin and Mike Williams both immediately started chat boards to take its place and for our hundred to two hundred (I guess) members to go. It was decided one forum was better than two. For a few days both were running. One, Mike’s, was hosted by Yahoo, I believe, and the other by a chat board hosting company called Network54.com (where the non-sports guys still are). It was decided that the Network54 one was a bit better operationally so Mike shut his down and we became http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652 , which is the web address of the old board. It is still there for read-only purposes, though everything has been transferred to our new board. There are a few reasons, which is another story, to keep that board alive…but as read only. As we got much bigger our s/w and hosting provider, Network54.com, didn’t update their s/w and their service wasn’t great. It didn’t have many features of the newer s/w on the market. Network54 still has rather antiquated s/w but it works for many forums, just not ours. In March of 2009 we started looking for a different hosting and chat solution for our forum. I asked questions of members, analyzed several different chat solutions and decided to buy the s/w, Vbulletin, which has one of, if not the, largest base of chat forums on the market. At this exact time I asked several friends of a good name for the new forum since we were moving away from “”Network54.com” and it could easily be changed. The new name was actually going to be Net55baseball.com, but after further thought I decided to capitalize on the historical marketing of Net54 and made the name very similar, Net54baseball.com, which it is today. Whenever someone says “Network54” they are not correct and I cringe a bit, but it’s not a big deal. The name todays stands at Net54baseball.com and that is the story of 54, which was almost 55 J.”

I apologize for the nonsense before “The Truth”, but appreciate your indulgence. Thanks to all for your contributions and if anyone wants to add anything to the front end of “The Truth”, please feel welcome to do so. My initial concept for the thread was simply the question about 54. Although correct, I’m not sure Leon’s story completely answers the question, but it seems at least that the “54” part of our title has absolutely nothing to do with baseball.

The saga part (my nonsense) was not preconceived. It just happens.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:38 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Glad it's out now, I'm not good with secrets.

Fun thread Frank.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Derek Granger

Great thread....so anticlimactic though! I had fun researching the importance of 54. Regardless, what, then, is the reason behind the name "network 54" from whence this board originated?

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Mike

Well, that was silly, good fun.....

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 02-03-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Jason Stricker

Well, now we know. Better entertainment than the halftime show...

Last edited by t206blogcom; 02-03-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Steve Woe.lfel

Default Thanks Frank...

The suspense of this thread just blew out the lights at the Superdome. Good work..
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 PM

Default Thanks Frank and Brian C.

Wanted to thank Frank for this entertaining thread. Brian Coat's theory was awesome!

"Or, at the kickoff meeting for the Vintage Card Collectors Forum, each member was given one vote when electing a president. While there were only 12 people in attendance, it was quickly noted that there were 54 votes cast. A quick investigation discovered the discrepancy resulted when each of the Bruce Dorskinds had voted separately."

Thanks gentlemen

Patrick
Old 02-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

now thats an answer worth waiting for!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Mike C@.v3

Damn that was long and exhausting...I only fell asleep twice during the explanation
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Rich
R1ch Sm1th

This thread and that answer had an "Al Capone's Vault" kinda feel to it.

Rich
Old 02-04-2013, 02:06 PM
John Harrell

The "real" explanation is quite interesting, although it does not match up well against "at the kickoff meeting for the Vintage Card Collectors Forum, each member was given one vote when electing a president. While there were only 12 people in attendance, it was quickly noted that there were 54 votes cast. A quick investigation discovered the discrepancy resulted when each of the Bruce Dorskinds had voted separately." I really prefer that one and I'm still half convinced it is the real one.

John
Old 02-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Don't know about Bruce's legend, but I sure would like to meet him. I'd invite him over, but I don't have room in my driveway for his 43 cars.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Mike Williams

Small tweak to Leon's version...I shut the Full Count board down due to some extremely disparaging comments about 9/11, not threatening lawsuits.

Prior to all the crap, these were great, great days!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliams View Post
Small tweak to Leon's version...I shut the Full Count board down due to some extremely disparaging comments about 9/11, not threatening lawsuits.

Prior to all the crap, these were great, great days!

Thanks Mike. I had heard John (and maybe you but for sure John) had got threatened with lawsuits. Maybe that was only a rumor though.....at any rate glad to have you here with us again after all of these years.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Great thread....so anticlimactic though! I had fun researching the importance of 54. Regardless, what, then, is the reason behind the name "network 54" from whence this board originated?
www.network54.com was simply the hosting site for the forum
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Mike Williams

Leon...that happened too, but there was no teeth to them

Appreciate your kind words!

Mike
Old 02-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post
www.network54.com was simply the hosting site for the forum
Well duh! But where did the hosting site come up with the name?? There aren't any hosting sites called Network3 or Network45...are there?

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 02-05-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Well duh! But where did the hosting site come up with the name?? There aren't any hosting sites called Network3 or Network45...are there?
Ok, now we are back to an all girl singing group from Inkster MI.......

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 02-05-2013 at 10:28 AM.