NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Malware from my email

Hey Folks
I had 2 people tell me they got emails with malware from my email last night. I have no clue how it happened but don't click on a weird email link from me.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Kenny Cole

I got it too.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
I got it too.
Now I have learned, Unfortunately, a few others too.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:23 AM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
I got it too.
+1

Val
Old 02-04-2013, 07:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
+1

Val
Sorry about that Val.. I know there was a string of folks that got it. I honestly have no idea about this stuff so if there is something I should do, to prevent it anymore, if someone will let me know I would appreciate it.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Chris

Leon, I've had this happen to me in the past. Not sure if you've done his yet or not. If not, you should immediately change your email address password. And, you should make sure you do not have it set up to automatically remember it (if it was set up that way). I made those changes when I had that issue, and it stopped the emails from going out.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Leon, I've had this happen to me in the past. Not sure if you've done his yet or not. If not, you should immediately change your email address password. And, you should make sure you do not have it set up to automatically remember it (if it was set up that way). I made those changes when I had that issue, and it stopped the emails from going out.
thanks!! I have had my same email 14 yrs so sort of don't want to change too much but if it does happen more I will change the password.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 AM
Chris

You shouldn't have to change the address itself. I kept mine. Changing the password and password setting was sufficient. Good luck! Such an annoying situation fortunately it's happened to just about everyone at this point.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

yes, change your password.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 AM

Leon, we all have nights were we just do something stupid. To some it's calling old girl friends, others it's attemtping to sext with your neighbors wife's. For you, we'll its drunk emailing. It's ok man, the first step is always the hardest one... admitting it.

Lol, just kidding. This is somewhat any area of expertise for me. Yeah, I would follow the advice of changing your password, but with something that's hard to discover. So like write out a sentence and combine the words. Use uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and at certain points include special characters in the sentence. But befote you change everything i would delete all the emails stored in your junk file and delete all the sent emails you know are not yours. Delete anything your not familiar with and that has any attachments.

Next, NEVER click in any links sent to you by anyone, even the ones trust IF the link is somethjng you dont recogize. Any of the "you gotta see this!" messages should be a clue.

You might also from time to time see emails to your contacts from you. It's not that they've hacked your account again, it's that they're spoofing your email and already had your old contacts. A way to check this is if it happens is by checking your email log on records for locations and dates/times that don't match you. Remember, your phone can connect from an outside server too so don't panick if you see some irregularity as long as you can trace it to your carrier. Also others have tested this by placing a false contact every 7 or so contacts. This keys you know if they're spoofing or not by seeing if they're working off a new or old contact list. Sort of a pain but a way to test it.

Good luck.

Last edited by Blitzu; 02-04-2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-04-2013, 08:57 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

It's ok Leon. It happens to most of us from time to time. I had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Some random hookup sites and erectile dysfunction ads apparently got sent out from my account. Mostly just to friends. Some of the responses back were kinda fun to read though. Anyways, the one's that I was afraid of, were the ones that were sent to my union hall...Luckily, those came back as undeliverable...

Simple change of password, and the problem is gone..
Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Hmmm....Malware

I guess someone was upset with your "54" answer.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Craig Wright

I'm considering printing out and framing the one I received last night and consigning it to the Brockelman & Luckey Auction

Best Regards and Happy Collecting
Craig
Old 02-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Fred

I think I got that email. It indicated "no subject". When you open the email the only thing was a link (sans the x's):

XXXXX_http://www.statik-harter.de/wh.html_xxxx
Old 02-04-2013, 04:54 PM

Default Email announcing B & L Auction Open

Leon,

Got an email announcing that B & L Auction is open. When I clicked on the auction page for B&L I see someone's strange auction.

Patrick

Last edited by Vintagecatcher; 02-04-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
Leon,

Got an email announcing that B & L Auction is open. Whgen I clicked on the auction page for B&L I see someone's strange auction.

Patrick
Our auction will open in the 25th of this month. I am strange, our auction, not so much.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Leon, I'm not sure if you use Facebook but there are viruses that float around the Facebook servers and tends to send out emails saved on your computer. They usually use your first or first and last name in the from part of the email but if you hover over the name, usually a odd looking email shows. Either way, everyone should always hover over the "From" name to see the domain its coming from especially if theres an odd link in the email. Changing your pasword with this type of problem does not help since its not really sending it from your email. It's only using your contacts while your email is open.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

100% change your password, and everyone should have this on their PC - http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

i even bought the pay for version its by far the best protection i have ever found.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Craig Wright

Default Email Spoofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
Leon, I'm not sure if you use Facebook but there are viruses that float around the Facebook servers and tends to send out emails saved on your computer. They usually use your first or first and last name in the from part of the email but if you hover over the name, usually a odd looking email shows. Either way, everyone should always hover over the "From" name to see the domain its coming from especially if theres an odd link in the email. Changing your pasword with this type of problem does not help since its not really sending it from your email. It's only using your contacts while your email is open.
Hovering over the "from" email address reveals that it is actually Leon's email address. There were eight "to" email addresses, some I recognized but some I don't. One thing to know about email spoofing is that a worm could have accessed any of our email address books, or someone not even on the distribution but had all of our email addresses in their address book. The worm then sends an email using one of the email addresses in the book as the "from", in this case Leon's email address. It then uses other email addresses from the book to send "to".

The underlying problem with email is that it is still based on old protocols. SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) is used to send mail from Port 25 if I remember correctly). It really doesn't offer much in the way of authentication. To receive email from a mail server, POP (Post Office Protocol) is still in use (along with a few newer protocols). I think it is now up to POP3 which has better encryption and uses a username/password to access email accounts.

If it is an email that contains viruses or illegal material, you might be able to get the network provider to backtrack the IP address to the actual sender.

If it is just leads to a phishing site or spam site (which is where this email lead), then just delete it and change your password (you don't need to your username or email service or internet provider!) and you can notify others on the "from" and "to" to change their email passwords, too.

Best Regards,
Craig