NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Ja,mie B.

Default n172 Old Judge Pretzels "Getzien/Cetzein" Joke Card

So good I thought it deserved its own thread.

It is a joke card regarding Pretzles Getzien's name.

Getzien is not a real German name. It derives from the word "gesehen" which means "to have been seen."

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gesehen

Yet on his cards in the OJ book, it reads "Cetzein", and in fact, it caused a confusion in a few newspaper articles succeeding the publishing of the card, where he is called Cetzein.

But it turns out that the name "Cetzein" was also a joke. You can see from this passage, "Cet zein":

"The word he translated ‘investigate’ is cet zein, which can carry the semi-technical sense ‘subject to a Socratic examination.’"

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

The joke is that, as a German foreigner, Charlie Getzien was an oddball subject to examination. Get it? These guys are using the roots of words of the player names to make jokes!!!

Last edited by cyseymour; 12-13-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: to change title
Old 12-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Ja,mie B.

"Detroit has a pitcher in Cetzein who is second to. I none ia the League, and he ... The record of the pitchers shows that Cetzein has done work that entitles him to ..."

http://fultonhistory.com/Newspapers%...20-%200018.pdf

"Cetzein pitched for us that day. He vowedi eome time previously that if we ever did win again he would drop dead. And ihe almost kept his word. As the last man ..."

http://fultonhistory.com/Newspapers%...20-%200018.pdf

Batteries Cetzein and Bennett; Hutchinson and KittredKC. I. At Philadelphia—. R- H. E.. Philadelphia...0 2 0 1 2 5 0 0 0-1013 0. Cleveland. .0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0— ...

http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%2...20-%200039.pdf
Old 12-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Ja,mie B.

let me also note that the "cetzein" cards in the OJ book date to the same exact year, 1888, as the McCreachery card. The OJ producers were making jokes of the names!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 PM

There are many, many German immigrants with the name Getzien or Getzein, there are NONE with the C in place of the G. In fact he used the name Getzien on all of the census data other documents, SO... I don't understand the comment:

Getzien is not a real German name.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
There are many, many German immigrants with the name Getzien or Getzein, there are NONE with the C in place of the G. In fact he used the name Getzien on all of the census data other documents, SO... I don't understand the comment:

Getzien is not a real German name.
Nothing came up when I googled it, but I'll have to take your word for it. But do you know anyone named Cetzein???
Old 12-13-2012, 04:09 PM

There is no one named Cetzien or Cetzein. There are lots of Getzein's and Getzien's. Your post states that the later is not a real German name. That is incorrect.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Ja,mie B.

I had thought that it was perhaps a corruption of the word gesehen. Maybe not, but either way there is no one named Cetzein and that is what Pretzel Getzein was being called, so it doesn't undermine the point that it could have been a joke.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Ja,mie B.

There doesn't seem to be anyone on the internet or facebook named Getzien, other the Pretzel Getzien himself. Where are all these people you are talking about? Hiding in a cave?
Old 12-13-2012, 05:44 PM

I don't use the internet or facebook to do factual research, that is very random. I used immigration and federal census data.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyseymour View Post
There doesn't seem to be anyone on the internet or facebook named Getzien, other the Pretzel Getzien himself. Where are all these people you are talking about? Hiding in a cave?
From ancestry.com:

406 Historical Documents & Family Trees with Getzien

119 Census and Voter Lists; 5 Immigration Records; 149 Birth, Marriage, and Deaths; 124 Member Family Trees; 9 Military Records

http://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?...urname=getzien
Old 12-13-2012, 06:13 PM

Mike,

Please be real, these people simply do not exist!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 PM
D@vid Fel@

Quote:
I had thought that it was perhaps a corruption of the word gesehen. Maybe not, but either way there is no one named Cetzein and that is what Pretzel Getzein was being called, so it doesn't undermine the point that it could have been a joke.
Or it could, like numerous other examples in the set, be nothing more than a misspelling. Either one I suppose.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Ja,mie B.

The Getziens living in America today must be Amish. It is the only logical explanation for why they can't be found on facebook or the internet.

What I meant when I said it wasn't a German name was that it was a corruption of German. Very common coming off the boat for spellings to be wrong. I originally thought it was from the German "gesehen', but it must have been derived from "Gottsein", which translates to, "to be of God."

Gottsein makes sense because the Amish are obviously very religious, and German-speaking, as well. Also, I believe that "gott" in German is pronounced "get". Just like the name Goethe is pronounced more like "Gerte".

Last edited by cyseymour; 12-13-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Mich.ael We.ntz

Cy,

I like your enthusiasm but that was totally random.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1 View Post
Cy,

I like your enthusiasm but that was totally random.
Not random at all. Think about it.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Ja,mie B.

Just an offhand observation -

Jerry Seinfeld

Sein - to be
Feld - Field

Roughly translations to, "to be of the fields". Likely, Jerry Seinfeld's ancestors were fieldworkers.

Last edited by cyseymour; 12-13-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Cyseymour, I’m 99% sure you are just trying to yank my chain but many others on the forum probably don’t realize you are kidding. For their benefit, I’ll correct you. Very few cards, scorecards, and newspapers seemed to be able to spell Getzien’s name correctly, but none of them spelled it with a “C” (at least not his baseball cards). The following is a sampling of the errors:

N172 , N173, N284, N338-2, N403/E223 => Getzein

N29 & N43 => Getzin

Police Gazette => Gatzein

Scrapps => Getzen

It seems only the Detroit Free Press (on occasion) and a handful of scorecards managed to keep it straight. Reason for all the errors may be linked to the way it was pronounced. From the June 13th, 1886 Detroit Free Press:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Getzien says his name is spelled Getzien and pronounced Getzeen.

-----------------------------------------------------------

If you feel his N172 cards spell out “Cetzein”, then the cards are apparently issued by “Coodwin and Go.”

I agree that the “C” and “G” can be difficult to decipher on many Old Judge cards and this is why there is debate as to whether the Deacon White portrait is spelled McCREACHERY or McGREACHERY. Lew Lipset, who once owned the card, believed it was/is McGREACHERY. But Cetzein??, and by extension Cibson, Cilks, Cillespie, Cilligan, . . .

The N173 belongs to the Met.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N173 Getzien.jpg (53.0 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg Getzien Police Gazette.jpg (35.1 KB, 159 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 12-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I should probably post a clear scan of N172 as well (from LOC)

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 PM
qualitycards

Joe, here's his N284

Old 12-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Are you reading the paper as "Cetzein" because that is what you want to see? The resolution is poor, but if I had to pick between a C & G, I'd go with G. Look at "Cuban Giants" and "Clarkson" just above the circled Getzeins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Getzien in the papers.jpg (59.4 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by Joe_G.; 12-13-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Joe Gonsowski

nm, enough is enough.

Last edited by Joe_G.; 12-13-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Matt Hall

That Police Gazette is a beauty Joe.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:30 AM
Ja,mie B.

I get it, the card is not a joke. If you google "cetzein", the newspaper articles show up, but more recently, whoever put the newspaper online obviously was the one who misspelled the name, not the writer in the newspaper. I'm kind of on limited technology with my chromebook and couldn't really see it in person, but I can see that in the actual newspaper article that it is spelled Getzein.

I still personally found it interesting to learn the etymology behind the name Getzien and what their name most likely was in Germany. As far as the n172 card you posted, is seems like they corrected the similarities between C and G for 1889 in their typeface. The G's have a much clearer dogleg that the 1888 cards do.

I don't expect to be correct about everything, but it is fun to post certain theories, even if not all of them turn out to be true. And I still definitely believe that the Getziens living today must be Amish. This seems the only plausible reason they are not found on the internet, and they must have been highly religious considering the name "Gottsein."

Last edited by cyseymour; 12-14-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 AM
Ja,mie B.

Okay, everyone, I actually did a little legwork on this and called both the bureau of census management as well as the Amish Historical Museum. Here is the real story of Pretzels Getzien.

According to the US Census records, there is only one family with the name Getzien/Getzein. Charles was mentioned under two names in the census, once with the spelling Getzien, once with Getzein, but the remainder of the family was only recorded under the name Getzein. They were not Amish, they were Prussian. The Father was also named Charles, as was his son, Charles H., the famous baseball player, who was born in Germany and came to the US at a young age.

Charles H. married and after eleven years, had not had children. Seeing that there was no birth control in those days, it is safe to assume that if they couldn't have children after 11 years, then they never had children. Charles H. also had two sisters, Amina and Sophia.

Being that there were no descendants of Charles H., and Amina and Sophia would have taken on the surnames of their spouses, there were no descendants to carry on the name, Getzien/Getzein.

I called the US bureau of census and they said that census records aren't released until 72 years after they are taken. So the records you see on Ancestry.com are the records of this one particular family.

Ironically, the bureau of census suggested that I google the name to see whether anyone came up. There are services like peoplefinder that record everyone's names. Since there is no mention of anyone with the Getzien/Getzein, I was correct in my original assessment that there is no one alive today with the surname Getzien/Getzein.

Last edited by cyseymour; 12-14-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:08 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Last names were gotten wrong all the time wile immigrating. Sometimes names were shortened, added to or simply mis-spelled. Try Getzen, Getzendiner, Getzendanner, Getzendaner, Getzenberg. There's a good number of each all over facebook..

Last edited by novakjr; 12-14-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Last names were gotten wrong all the time wile immigrating. Sometimes names were shortened, added to or simply mis-spelled. Try Getzen, Getzendiner, Getzendanner, Getzendaner, Getzenberg. There's a good number of each all over facebook..
I have two different names in my family that were changed to match(not on purpose) names already in my family.

Don't know the original names off-hand but one was a Polish name changed to Sykes, while the other was changed to Phelan. My grandfather's mother and brother-in-law had the same last name in the US but the in-law had a different name before coming overseas and they're not even from the same country. Then his sister married someone with the name Phelan, while his brother had a child with someone whose name was changed to Phelan in the US, again, not related and not the same country.

So basically, good luck with tracing that name once it got here.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Ja,mie B.

My name is also an immigration name, so I know all about it.

Based on the German pronunciations, my best guess is still that Getzen/Getzien/Getsein were originally derived from "Gottsein". Maybe some of you have other ideas. Are there any German speakers on the board?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:39 PM

Seriously, if anyone does speak German, tell me how you would pronounce my last name, Dreker. My family says it two different ways. We actually put the Dreker/Dreker family reunion on the note during our last gathering as a joke.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Seriously, if anyone does speak German, tell me how you would pronounce my last name, Dreker. My family says it two different ways. We actually put the Dreker/Dreker family reunion on the note during our last gathering as a joke.
Ha! I grew up in a family where my mother and father each pronounced our last name differently. I trusted my mother, of course, but after some study I believe my father's pronunciation is probably correct.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I was able to take a scan today, thought I'd bump this back to the top.

Quote:
The G's have a much clearer dogleg that the 1888 cards do.
It can be difficult to distinguish between a "C" and "G" every year of issue, the cards are small and the block text names even smaller. Just look at the 1887 "Ceiss"(sic) currently on eBay. It often takes either a high resolution scan, magnifying glass, or knowledge of who is in the set (a checklist) to keep it straight. And if the card is faded, forget about distinguishing between the two. I took a higher resolution scan of my 1888 Getzien for comparison to the 1889 example. Both are clearly a "G", but the 1888 name is slightly smaller making it a bit tougher to make out. The similarities between the two letters can also be studied while looking at Goodwin's advertising at the bottom of the card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 186-4 Fb Getzien.jpg (68.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 186-4 Fc Getzien.jpg (66.5 KB, 96 views)
Old 12-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
According to the US Census records, there is only one family with the name Getzien/Getzein. Charles was mentioned under two names in the census, once with the spelling Getzien, once with Getzein, but the remainder of the family was only recorded under the name Getzein. They were not Amish, they were Prussian. The Father was also named Charles, as was his son, Charles H., the famous baseball player, who was born in Germany and came to the US at a young age.

Charles H. married and after eleven years, had not had children. Seeing that there was no birth control in those days, it is safe to assume that if they couldn't have children after 11 years, then they never had children. Charles H. also had two sisters, Amina and Sophia.

Being that there were no descendants of Charles H., and Amina and Sophia would have taken on the surnames of their spouses, there were no descendants to carry on the name, Getzien/Getzein.

I called the US bureau of census and they said that census records aren't released until 72 years after they are taken. So the records you see on Ancestry.com are the records of this one particular family.
Interesting research, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:02 AM
Ja,mie B.

Joe,

Thanks for posting the high-res OJ scan. It makes clear something I couldn't discern in the book. It would be really interesting to do the same thing with the McCreachery card and see whether it was really meant to be a C or a G. Unless that type of scan is already accessible, that would require the cooperation of the owner of the card, presumably.

Regards
Old 12-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
Joe,

Thanks for posting the high-res OJ scan. It makes clear something I couldn't discern in the book. It would be really interesting to do the same thing with the McCreachery card and see whether it was really meant to be a C or a G. Unless that type of scan is already accessible, that would require the cooperation of the owner of the card, presumably.

Regards
The inquiry into a better resolution scan of McCreachery has been made, but logistics will not allow for a quick turnaround.

Straying a bit off topic, I find the evolution of the negative to be impressive. Not only did "DETROIT" disappear off the jersey but the pin stripes were drawn back in to improve the appearance post "DETROIT" removal. This extends throughout the whole shirt. Somehow, Getzien looks heavier in the 1889 rendition.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Rob

Default White portrait card

Joe,

You mention that Lew Lipset actually owned this card for a while. He refers to the card as " McGreachery" in his encyclopedia and states .."none is quite sure who that is supposed to be." So, I assume he also showed the card to anyone who might know more about it at the time.

When was the photo identified as Deacon White? When did people start spelling the name with a "C". I noticed in the 'archive' OJ thread that you refer to the card as 'McGreachery' circa 2005/6.

If you look at the Emil Geiss portrait BIN card on ebay it looks like it could say Ceiss from the scan.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Dan Bretta

Internet newspaper archives are littered with misspellings because the machines that read the papers and translate it onto the internet confuse letters all the time. This is very common.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Joe,

If you look at the Emil Geiss portrait BIN card on ebay it looks like it could say Ceiss from the scan.
Looking at the Geiss scan closely, I can see that at the bottom of the first letter of his name, there is a small point sticking out to make it a G.

Looking at the McCreachery card in the book, the letter C, it really does seem like there is something there that makes it a G instead of a C. This is just conjecture, but I am becoming more and more convinced it is really a G.

I looked up the census records for the name "Greacher" on Ancestry.com, and it turns out there were some people (two or three) with the name of Greacher who were living in the US at that time.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/s...p=0&gl=35&gst=

It could be that the name is Greacher, and that my original theory that was the first post in the other thread, that the name was spun to seem Irish by putting a "Mc" and "y" on it, may have been right all along.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:58 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Not to start anything. But greachery, is listed as a common misspelling for Treachery. Completely understandable, considering that the G is right below the T on a keyboard.. Co-incidentally, the definitions of Creachery(contextually based on how it was most often used) and Treachey are very similar in nature..
Old 12-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Ja,mie B.

David,

The term creach later became used to describe plundering (probably derived from falling, ie, "fall from grace".)

I hadn't realized that Creachery was a word... very interesting. That means it would have been pronounced "McCreh" and not "McCree" since we know the pronunciation of "treachery".

That might make the McCrea/Chery riddle more likely in a way, seeing that the pronunciation is the same, and not pronounced "McCree".

Well, here you are getting me going again. Let's see if we can find out if it was a C or G before we go any further... too much left to question right now unless we really know the name.

Cheers

Last edited by cyseymour; 12-16-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Joe,

When did people start spelling the name with a "C". I noticed in the 'archive' OJ thread that you refer to the card as 'McGreachery' circa 2005/6.
The card was studied during the writing of the Old Judge book (2008-2009) and we felt it was McCreachery. Prior to this, I knew the card as McGreachery based on Lew Lipset's 19th Century encyclopedia. I would like to take a closer look at it and hope to eventually have a high resolution scan for all of us to study. This will take some time however due to owner and card locations. As has been stated several times, the "C" and "G" look nearly the same so it is easy to confuse them. More to come . . .

On a side note, we made 100s of changes and updates to previously available materials regarding the Old Judge set when we published the book. A change from McGreachery to McCreachery was not unusual given the sheer volume of other changes that were made. Many of our updates were minor such as switching order of poses for a player to match chronology of photos (Tip O'Neill - 3 different photo shoots from 3 different years) or the countless pose description changes to reflect a more consistent pose nomenclature. Many more discoveries have been made since the book, some of them being covered in short articles in OC Magazine such as the Gypsy Queen cards that constitute new poses and the discovery of Tug Wilson under the guise of Joseph Miller. I continue to study Detroit OJs in the smallest of details while Jay seems to do the same for all teams! Most of the missing poses have also been located. Its a fascinating set that is so rich in history. I'm so thankful for Goodwin & their little photographic baseball keepsakes.

Last edited by Joe_G.; 12-16-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:05 AM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
The card was studied during the writing of the Old Judge book (2008-2009) and we felt it was McCreachery. Prior to this, I knew the card as McGreachery based on Lew Lipset's 19th Century encyclopedia. I would like to take a closer look at it and hope to eventually have a high resolution scan for all of us to study. This will take some time however due to owner and card locations. As has been stated several times, the "C" and "G" look nearly the same so it is easy to confuse them. More to come . . .

Its a fascinating set that is so rich in history. I'm so thankful for Goodwin & their little photographic baseball keepsakes.
Thanks Joe. I agree that it's a truly fascinating set... perhaps the most fascinating in existence if you really think about it. So charismatic, too, with all the joke cards, fun poses, etc.

For the sake of conversation, I'm going to assume it's McCreachery for the time being since that's the last judgement that was make on the card in person.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Ja,mie B.

Another point I'd like to make is that the manager of Indianapolis at the time, Spence, was only thirty years old, while Deacon White was 40 and still playing. Sort of furthers the likelihood that the card was a joke.