NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-02-2012, 07:31 PM
J0n Fu.ld

Default It appears there is clapping at an auction only when too much was paid

it's very funny. someone pays a ridiculous amount, everyone claps, and hoots.

Last edited by BigJJ; 08-02-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJJ View Post
it's very funny. someone pays a ridiculous amount, everyone claps.
Dude.. What item? What price??

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 PM
J0n Fu.ld

just listen for the clapping and hooting
Old 08-02-2012, 08:01 PM

What are you talking about JJ?

DanC
Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 PM
$cotty @.utin

Quote:
just listen for the clapping and hooting
Huh?

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 08-02-2012, 08:35 PM
J0n Fu.ld

I was following the Heritage auction live online. Should have stated that.

I just thought it was really funny, that when someone pays a good amount below the low estimate, no one claps and yells and goes 'thata boy, way to get a great deal on that one!' - but when someone pays way in excess of a crazy price, everyone in the room erupts with applause and yelling, like 'way to go you moron'! I was cracking up tonight.

Last edited by BigJJ; 08-02-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I've noticed it too.... maybe they're all friends or relatives of the consignor
Old 08-03-2012, 12:32 AM
James Wymer

No one ever pays to much at an auction!!! Ever!!! LOL!!!
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 08-03-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
it's very funny. someone pays a ridiculous amount, everyone claps, and hoots.
I'm curious. What is it that makes you so certain that the price paid for any of the memorabilia items, was a "ridiculous amount" to pay?
Old 08-03-2012, 05:50 AM
J0n Fu.ld

the clapping
Old 08-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
I'm curious. What is it that makes you so certain that the price paid for any of the memorabilia items, was a "ridiculous amount" to pay?

its obvious, a 1969-1970 topss basketball set, even in pristine condition for 209000 dollars is a ridiculous amount to pay.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
its obvious, a 1969-1970 topss basketball set, even in pristine condition for 209000 dollars is a ridiculous amount to pay.
Obvious to whom Travis? You? It's all relevant now, isn't it?

I would say that for someone that may be unemployed it seems insane, but for those that have become a financial success, it was well worth the money.

It just amazes me that there are people who have nothing better to do than to piss and moan about how others choose to spend their money! Or say things like - How stupid can they be? You can buy a house for that much! - No... you can buy a house for that much, not them!

How about trying to put as much effort into earning a better living, as you do complaining about others who have and continue to make a better one than yourself.

I myself, at this stage in my life am middle class, and am happy and content. I am better off than some of my friends and some of my friends are better off than me. I guess what I'm trying to say is, everyone is entitled to their opinion and here's mine. Those that cry like a six year old girl because someone they've never met spent more money on a Baseball card than they will make in their lifetime, need to take a good long look in the mirror. Why criticize someone in public that you will never know, just because he can afford something that you can't? Get a life and seek gainful employment.

My name is Jimmy Catanzaro, and I approve of this message.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Banned

it's obvious to me and a lot of people. * if they paid 400 million dollars for it, you would hold the same opinion i suppose. *that it is not INSANE to pay 400 million for a card set 40 years old. but keep thinking that.

if someone came to you and offered 9 billion dollars for your house, they are just paying what they want for it. you can take their money and say "good buy" i dont blame you, lucky you got here when you did.

i never said they didnt spend their money they way they wanted to. of course they did. it just doesnt make any sense. just like paying over 20 grand for an ozzie smith rc doesn't, or 100,000 for a wayne gretzky rookie or a reggie jackson rookie doesn't. i know we are all entitled to YOUR opinion, but geez. i never made it into class warfare, you did, i dont care who works at walmart, and who works at the nyse. quit dividing people by money. my contention was never that it was a ridiculous amount to pay becausew most people don't have that kind of money, but that it is ridiculous, period.

Last edited by travrosty; 08-03-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:45 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Much as it pains me to say this, I have to agree with Travis here. 209K for the 69-70 set is crazy money. I finished this set before, so I know how hard it is to get centered and in extreme high grade. Still, you can complete the set in PSA7 for 1-2K, that looks pretty darn good also. There's no question that some people have a lot of money and collect only the highest grade. And indeed it is very possible, even likely that they can flip this set for even more money later on (e.g., see Dimitri Young sales). However, to me, this is still irrrational exuberance, not like the stock market, but more like the baseball card bust of the 80s-90s. There is too much supply of these modern cards to justify these prices, and the subjective grading differences at the high grade do not merit the price differentials. As has been said in many threads, what comes back a 9 today, could be a 10 tomorrow, and vice versa. And this would not be due to malice or intentional error on the part of the graders. It is that people are human and grading is subjective.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Banned

Well said, Jimmy.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Obvious to whom Travis? You? It's all relevant now, isn't it?

I would say that for someone that may be unemployed it seems insane, but for those that have become a financial success, it was well worth the money.

It just amazes me that there are people who have nothing better to do than to piss and moan about how others choose to spend their money! Or say things like - How stupid can they be? You can buy a house for that much! - No... you can buy a house for that much, not them!

How about trying to put as much effort into earning a better living, as you do complaining about others who have and continue to make a better one than yourself.

I myself, at this stage in my life am middle class, and am happy and content. I am better off than some of my friends and some of my friends are better off than me. I guess what I'm trying to say is, everyone is entitled to their opinion and here's mine. Those that cry like a six year old girl because someone they've never met spent more money on a Baseball card than they will make in their lifetime, need to take a good long look in the mirror. Why criticize someone in public that you will never know, just because he can afford something that you can't? Get a life and seek gainful employment.

My name is Jimmy Catanzaro, and I approve of this message.
+1

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 08-05-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
it's obvious to me and a lot of people. * if they paid 400 million dollars for it, you would hold the same opinion i suppose. *that it is not INSANE to pay 400 million for a card set 40 years old. but keep thinking that.

if someone came to you and offered 9 billion dollars for your house, they are just paying what they want for it. you can take their money and say "good buy" i dont blame you, lucky you got here when you did.
Now this is a sensible and reasonable response. Don't you think?