NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-22-2023, 11:23 AM
Gary

Default Choose your all-time HOF team

Inspired by Clint's thread https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=338118 I thought we could choose an entire HOF team...not just 1 player.

For a bit of fun...

Suppose you could build a team of 11 players (9 players on the field, 1 relief pitcher and 1 DH) and a manager, but you can only choose from members of the HOF. Who's on your team?

You can choose a player from any time and any league so long as they're in Cooperstown.

https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-fam...-fame-explorer

Name your team and let us know why. Here's mine:

Manager: Joe Torre
Pitcher: Sandy Koufax
Catcher: Johnny Bench
1B: Lou Gehrig
2B: Rod Carew
3B: George Brett
SS: Honus Wagner
RF: Hank Aaron
LF: Ted Williams
CF: Willie Mays
DH: Babe Ruth
Relief Pitcher: Bob Gibson

Rationale:
This team has a lot of hits and a lot of runs in it and some amazing fielding capability. I chose Ruth as a DH because as great as he was, let's face it, he wasn't known for incredible defensive work. That leaves room for Aaron in Right Field.

An infield of Gehrig, Carew, Wagner, Brett and Bench has speed and skill plus they'll create hits and stolen bases.

The choice of manager was harder than I thought. Who could get the best out of a blend of a mix of players from across the ages? I would like to have chosen Billy Martin as the manager but he's not in Cooperstown like I think he should be.

Last edited by UKCardGuy; 07-22-2023 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-22-2023, 11:35 AM

I'll take the easy way out and defer to Mr. Cobb. There was no stronger student, observer or practicioner of the game and he lived into the final era which I would consider using to make my own picks. He was also typically honest and outspoken when opining on anything, so each one of his choices would, to me, be of great importance. More so than even someone such as Connie Mack.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 07-22-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-22-2023, 12:17 PM
Charles Jackson

Starting Pitcher: Lefty Grove
Catcher: Josh Gibson
2B: Nap Lajoie
3B: Mike Schmidt
LF: Oscar Charleston
RF: Babe Ruth
DH: Ted Williams
Relief Pitcher: Mariano Rivera

For me, the hardest choices are Starting Pitcher and 2nd Baseman.

There are so many great starting pitchers. I chose Lefty Grove because he led the League in ERA a record 9x, led the League in strikeouts his first 7 years and just knew how to win games. His .680 Winning percentage is the highest of any Hall of Famer and it translated into the Playoffs where he pitched very well, winning 2 World Series. Grove faced Ruth 11 times in exhibition games as a Minor Leaguer and struck him out 9 times. Maybe that's why Grove was sold for more than Ruth.

I think Hornsby was a better hitter than Lajoie, but I think Hornsby would not be a great player to have on your team because he was not well liked.

I think Bench was the best catcher in MLB history, but Gibson was probably better.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 07-23-2023 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Forgot DH
Old 07-22-2023, 12:24 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Manager: It won’t matter, they’re winning
SP: Lefty Grove
C: Yogi Berra
2B: Eddie Collins

I think the best at each position, with C being the toughest pick and the least clear. I am slightly bothered by the lack of any 19th century player that seems statistically unlikely to not be present on a list of 9 from all of MLB history.
Old 07-22-2023, 12:36 PM

RF Roberto Clemente
CF Willie Mays
LF Babe Ruth
SS Honus Wagner
3B George Brett
2B Rogers Hornsby
1B Lou Gehrig
C Johnny Bench
P Sandy Koufax
RP Mariano Rivera
DH Ted Williams
M Joe McCarthy

Last edited by rats60; 07-22-2023 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2023, 01:12 PM
Brian R

Manager: Walter Alston
Starting Pitcher: Are we getting the player at his peak, or are we considering his whole career? If it's peak, I take Sandy Koufax. Considering the whole career, Walter Johnson
Relief Pitcher: Goose Gossage. Man once posted a single season WAR over 8 as a reliever.
Catcher: Johnny Bench
First Base: Lou Gehrig
Second: Eddie Collins
Third: Mike Schmidt
Short: Honus Wagner
Left: Rickey Henderson - Otherwise this team doesn't have a leadoff hitter. Now they've got the best one
Center: Ty Cobb - My mind says Mays, but my heart wants to bat Cobb second and watch him execute the hit and run with Rickey on first.
Right: Babe Ruth - he's not Aaron defensively, but he did lead the league in OF assists at least once so he's not a liability out there, plus, he's an extra arm in the bullpen. Can also hit.
DH: Ted Williams
Old 07-22-2023, 02:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Manager: It won’t matter, they’re winning
SP: Lefty Grove
C: Yogi Berra
2B: Eddie Collins

I think the best at each position, with C being the toughest pick and the least clear. I am slightly bothered by the lack of any 19th century player that seems statistically unlikely to not be present on a list of 9 from all of MLB history.
If we did this for FB or BKB there wouldn't be anyone from the first few decades either.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-22-2023, 02:36 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Manager: John McGraw
First Base: Gehrig
2nd Base: Collins
SS: Wagner
3B: Schmidt
LF: Aaron
CF: DiMaggio
RF: Ruth
DH: Williams
SP: Young
RP: Rivera
Old 07-22-2023, 06:53 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If we did this for FB or BKB there wouldn't be anyone from the first few decades either.
Which seems unlikely to be fair for an all-time team. At the very peak of talent with a small roster we will have a significant random chance factor, but it seems we always ignore certain periods.

I can’t speak to basketball, but for football I’d put some of the very old guys on the all-time team. Hutson for one.
Old 07-22-2023, 09:55 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I am slightly bothered by the lack of any 19th century player that seems statistically unlikely to not be present on a list of 9 from all of MLB history.
They played 8 seasons (1893-1900) in the 19th Century with the pitcher's mound at 60ft. We're in the middle of the 123rd season since then with a massive increase in the number of people actually playing in the majors. It would be shocking if somebody from the 19th Century actually deserved to make the list.

Last edited by Tabe; 07-22-2023 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:08 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
They played 8 seasons (1893-1900) in the 19th Century with the pitcher's mound at 60ft. We're in the middle of the 123rd season since then with a massive increase in the number of people actually playing in the majors. It would be shocking if somebody from the 19th Century actually deserved to make the list.
An all-time team with a built in recency basis, picking the players best for todays game rather than a pound-for-pound style ranking of dominance in context, is not an All-Time Team at all.

An increase in the quantity of players has no effect whatsoever on an all-time team. The absolute greats do not lose their jobs in a smaller league; the worse players do.

As an All-Time Team, your 1893 cutoff used to dismiss the improbability is not relevant.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Honus Wagner played in the 19th century. He is on most teams. Cy Young and Nap Lajoie are on lists and they played in the 19th century too.
Old 07-23-2023, 07:41 PM

Default Alltime team

SP - Catfish Hunter
RP - Mariano Rivera

C - Johnny Bench
1B- Lou Gehrig
2B- Jackie Robinson
SS -Honus Wagner
3B- Brooks Robsinson

LF - Ted Williams
CF - Ty Cobb
RF - Hank Aaron
DH- Reggie Jackson

bench (honorable mentions)
Roberto Clemente
Joe Jackson

Last edited by ty_cobb; 07-23-2023 at 08:05 PM. Reason: revised
Old 07-24-2023, 11:52 AM
Bill Avery

I went with a World Series Heavy team. All of my picks have 2 or more World Series rings.

Manager: Joe McCarthy (7)
Pitcher: Babe Ruth (7)
Catcher: Yogi Berra (10)
1B: Lou Gehrig (7)
2B: Eddie Collins (6)
3B: Eddie Mathews (2)
SS: Derek Jeter (5)
RF: Stan Musial (3)
LF: Rickey Henderson (2)
CF: Joe DiMaggio (9)
DH: David Ortiz (3)
Relief Pitcher: Mariano Rivera (5)