NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2022, 10:24 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Default What is the point of the "Buyer's Premium"?

So I get it, you have to think about the Buyer's Premium and take it into account and bid accordingly. But what is the actual point? The only possible motive I can come up with is that's a psychological tactic by the auction house to make you feel like you're paying less than you actually are, or even worse, hoping for ignorance on the part of the buyer.

Sorry if this has been discussed.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:28 AM
Peter Spaeth

It has been discussed countless times over the years. The AH has to make money somehow, no?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-21-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:28 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
The only possible motive I can come up with is that's a psychological tactic by the auction house to make you feel like you're paying less than you actually are, or even worse, hoping for ignorance on the part of the buyer.
That’s exactly what it is, and why it’s kept separate by most of them. Otherwise it would just be your bid and they take X% as their commission as arranged with the seller. It’s not hard to calculate in and lower your bid accordingly, but surely many people don’t and they’ve learned more money is made this way than the other, straightforward way.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:32 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
That’s exactly what it is, and why it’s kept separate by most of them.
That's why I prefer..., gulp, eBay auctions overall. I like to just bid and not worry about calculating the BP. I know it is "easy to calculate" but on higher priced items particularly when the bid increment jumps , it can really add up quick if you don't do your diligence .
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 09-22-2022, 09:00 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
That’s exactly what it is, and why it’s kept separate by most of them. Otherwise it would just be your bid and they take X% as their commission as arranged with the seller. It’s not hard to calculate in and lower your bid accordingly, but surely many people don’t and they’ve learned more money is made this way than the other, straightforward way.
A mechanism instilled to lower bids is so counterintuitive to the auction process and yet it's accepted without question.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:01 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
A mechanism instilled to lower bids is so counterintuitive to the auction process and yet it's accepted without question.
And on the occasions where it is questioned, it causes some offense, evidently.
Old 09-23-2022, 06:29 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I think one could make an argument that it's not actually a deceptive tactic if they indeed charged 20% of the hammer price for sold items. But that's not actually the case. Nobody charges 20%. It's usually between 10 to 15% and the consignor gets some portion of the BP back. It's pretty difficult to argue that it is not intended to deceive with that being the case.
No?!?!?!?!? Nobody does?? I wish you would let some of the auctions I deal with realize this.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:18 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Any answer the explains the practice as a requirement for a company to turn a profit is just obfuscating the fact that the practice is specific to auction houses. I don't have to pay a buyer's premium at the grocery store. The amount that buyers pay and that consignors receive and that the house nets doesn't change in the presence of a buyer's premium relative to what it would be without one unless some bidders are failing to properly calculate how much they're committing to paying when they place their bids. The real answer I guess is just a quirk of history. There's no reason to expect that if auctions were invented today that the practice of dividing the price between a bid and a premium is something that would occur to any business.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:49 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I got charged a commission once, early on, when I did not know the ins and outs of consignment. Never again in over 30 years.

There are a few AHs that persist in seeking a commission on top of the BP. Huggins & Scott, Hake's and Goldin all requested commissions from me when I tried to consign with them and would not back off. Nancy Reagan'ed that s**t: just said "no" and moved on to the next AH that gave me 100% of the hammer price.

This thing of ours is different than other hobbies, though. Entertainment AHs routinely demand commissions and don't back off them. I even had that experience with Heritage. I've sold with them for zero commission on sports stuff but have had commission demands for entertainment lots that I could not negotiate away. Frankly, I would rather eBay the items than hand an AH 30% or more of the sale price.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-23-2022 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-23-2022, 11:02 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Any answer the explains the practice as a requirement for a company to turn a profit is just obfuscating the fact that the practice is specific to auction houses. I don't have to pay a buyer's premium at the grocery store. The amount that buyers pay and that consignors receive and that the house nets doesn't change in the presence of a buyer's premium relative to what it would be without one unless some bidders are failing to properly calculate how much they're committing to paying when they place their bids. The real answer I guess is just a quirk of history. There's no reason to expect that if auctions were invented today that the practice of dividing the price between a bid and a premium is something that would occur to any business.
There must be a better example than that, the items are already at a set price and they're not selling them for someone else.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:36 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

From a consignor prospective, would you rather pay 0% of the sale price or 20% of the sale price? Which do you think is going to convince someone to consign an item. AH's still need money to eat either way you slice it.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 09-21-2022, 10:45 AM
Chase

Personally I really do not care what the house charges me as a buyer or what they are getting, if anything from the consignor. When I am bidding I always consider my bid plus the buyer's premium and sales tax as the cost to me.

Not sure why this is so hard for so many people to grasp.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:47 AM
Peter Spaeth

It's an accounting device. It isn't fooling anyone.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:55 AM
Drew W@i$e

It's a moneymaker, no doubt about it. Actually, kinda shocked it hasn't gone up more for major auction houses.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It is just a subterfuge but it works because your average American does not do arithmetic very well.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-21-2022, 10:59 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Not a Buyer's Premium, but a Shipper's Premium

One well-respected auction house used to have a default shipping charge that wasn't changed to the actual shipping charge until hours after the auction closed. Invoices were available for review before the shipping charges were changed.

The default shipping charge for all items was $1000.00. Yikes. That will open your eyes in the middle of the night at 4AM when the auction closed.

My only experience with this practice involved two slabbed cards. The shipping charges were reduced later the same day from $1000.00 to $20.00.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

So to be clear, some of you guys are accusing Board members like Scott B, Scott R, Al C and Lee B of trying to deceive buyers into overpaying?

Old 09-21-2022, 11:02 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I just multiply my top bid by 1.3 to see the true cost, or close to it. Accounts for BP, tax and shipping usually doing that.

My bigger issue is eBay has almost nothing I need most days.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:04 AM
Chase

For those who cannot seem to keep the BP in mind when bidding, Heritage does the work for you. Each bid you place shows what you pay or will pay with the BP included.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:09 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

For those who don't understand the BP.... How do you propose the auction house earn any income and have the ability to keep running? They aren't trying to "fool" anyone. The rules are clearly posted, and anyone with the ability to process information should be able to understand them.

The AH's ability to hire staff, pay internet fees and print catalogs is all contingent on the Buyers Premium. Perhaps those of you who are perplexed know of a better way for the AH to generate income and stay in business?

I guess this topic is destined to resurface at least once per year.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:42 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
So I get it, you have to think about the Buyer's Premium and take it into account and bid accordingly. But what is the actual point? The only possible motive I can come up with is that's a psychological tactic by the auction house to make you feel like you're paying less than you actually are, or even worse, hoping for ignorance on the part of the buyer.

Sorry if this has been discussed.
I think you hit the nail on the head. It is sort of a psychological selling trick to make buyers feel like they aren't paying as much as they really are, so they bid a little higher in the heat of the moment. Exact same concept when you go into stores and see items priced at $1.99, $4.95, or $9.99. Why don't they simply round the prices up $0.01 or so to an even dollar amount? They do it so the buyer feels like they are somehow paying less, even though you can see what it costs right on the price tag.

And they say we humans are supposed to be smarter than all the other creatures on Earth. Really makes you wonder some times. LOL
Old 09-21-2022, 11:51 AM
TiNo

The buyer's premium does seem like a psychological "trick", but it is based more on enabling more clear cut record keeping of actual sale price of an item regardless of auction house and its fees. Historical auction records are relied on for appraisals and insurance.

Last edited by Fullerton; 09-21-2022 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:54 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullerton View Post
The buyer's premium does seem like a psychological "trick", but it is based more on enabling more clear cut record keeping of actual sale price of an item regardless of auction house and its fees. Historical auction records are relied on for appraisals and insurance.
Those are some interesting concepts that I hadn't considered.

I figured it was as much about tradition as anything.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 09-22-2022, 06:14 PM
Ray VDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullerton View Post
Maybe I misunderstand but I take the opposite view. At best is doesn't make a difference and at worst it actually confuses the issue rather than making it clear cut. Appraisals are based on fair market value and include buyer's premiums. So if no auction houses charged a BP, then we'd have an even playing field. Plus I'm not sure if all AH's post completed prices including BP, so an appraiser might be comparing apples and oranges as they research historical prices to determine FMV.
Old 09-23-2022, 01:08 AM

When I win an auction lot I never pay the Buyer's Premium, just the winning amount and shipping. Surprisingly, and so far without fail, the auction house sends back my money and never ships the card(s). And perhaps coincidentally, my bids are not accepted in future auctions either.

Brian
Old 09-23-2022, 01:23 AM

But seriously, I remember reading an article by Lew Lipset in his Old Judge newsletter from the mid to late 1980's (?) detailing the shift of auction houses from charging a larger seller's commission to charging a buyer's premium, which evidently was not standard for auction houses at the time. I think back in the day auction places were traditionally dealer/collectors that were auctioning their accumulations, and therefore a seller's premium obviously made no sense, but would of course charge you for the privilege of consigning cards. I remember the article identified the shift to following the example of art auction houses, who had established the practice of a charging a Buyer's Premium with less emphasis on Seller's Premium so as to attract the higher value consignments.

I guess it was just a natural progression for sports auction houses to follow this lead, as cards and memorabilia became more of a commodity.

Brian
Old 09-24-2022, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
When I win an auction lot I never pay the Buyer's Premium, just the winning amount and shipping. Surprisingly, and so far without fail, the auction house sends back my money and never ships the card(s). And perhaps coincidentally, my bids are not accepted in future auctions either.

Brian

This post was the dumbest post in this dumb thread, in a sneakily dumb smart way.

Brian
Old 09-21-2022, 12:09 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

There's been some great collections built on good whiskey and poor decisions on auction night...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 09-21-2022, 02:34 PM
Dave Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
There's been some great collections built on good whiskey and poor decisions on auction night...
100% Truth!
Old 09-21-2022, 05:49 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
There's been some great collections built on good whiskey and pour decisions on auction night...

Correcting your typo, Phil

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:55 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
There's been some great collections built on good whiskey and pour decisions on auction night...

Baddum Tiss...

-
Old 09-22-2022, 08:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

There is been? .....
Old 09-22-2022, 09:13 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There is been? .....
That one is on Casey (Phil) as well Leon. My post was a simple copy and paste with a single letter change.

Good pickup though, y’all are getting better. However when you changed yawl, you changed it to ya’ll not y’all.

Keep up the good work.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:35 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:

That one is on Casey (Phil) as well Leon. My post was a simple copy and paste with a single letter change.

Good pickup though, y’all are getting better. However when you changed yawl, you changed it to ya’ll not y’all.

Keep up the good work.
My Cousin owns an apostrophe factory in Ohio and sends me a big ol' box o' 'em every Christmas so I have to use 'em up whene'er I can.

-

Last edited by Casey2296; 09-22-2022 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:57 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
There is been? .....
or
"There has been"