NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-01-2009, 03:57 PM

Default Goodwin Auction has some very nice cards...

Nice stuff!
http://www.goodwinandco.com/Catalog.aspx

I think the talk about notebook covers recently brought these out. Any thoughts on final prices for these? They are not mine!

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetai...100&category=1

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetai...100&category=1
Old 11-01-2009, 05:35 PM
Jim R

WOW that 205 Cy Young is killer!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:01 PM

I realize that this is a baseball board, but I don't like that lot #587 at all; some unsuspecting buyer is going to think that they are getting an 8 when they are clearly not.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Glyn Parson

Default I have no problem with the lot

Bill clearly has the ex or better designation in the title and does not have the number 8 in the title at all. Well actually I have the problem I have with all BCCG cards just no problem with how Bill has it listed.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:33 PM

Why does Beckett have more than one grading co? I don't have any cards graded by them. Is one better than the other?
Old 11-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

LOL. Case in point.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonSportDaniel View Post
I realize that this is a baseball board, but I don't like that lot #587 at all; some unsuspecting buyer is going to think that they are getting an 8 when they are clearly not.
Which lot was that? It's been withdrawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiprop View Post
Jeff- I think we know the answer to your question.

I'm wondering why a company would have 2 or more grading services? Anyone? And if a company has more than one service, can we trust either one?

update -NY up 2 in the 5th
When grading first became popular, Beckett still was the top name in collecting but things have clearly gone way down hill...I remember "pristine" bgs cards going for ridiculous prices circa 2000.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkcards View Post
Which lot was that? It's been withdrawn.

It was a 1957 Topps Basketball Russell, graded 8. Unfortunately, it was graded by BCCG. It was probably a 4 or a 5 in the real world.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkcards View Post
When grading first became popular, Beckett still was the top name in collecting but things have clearly gone way down hill...I remember "pristine" bgs cards going for ridiculous prices circa 2000.

Beckett's is still near the top in grading, in my opinion. But this "Collector's" division (BCCG) is a real head scratcher.

The concept was to offer a lower price alternative that would encapsulate a card and protect it. It is/was cheaper. They will do 1000 cards for $3 each. 10,000 cards for $2 each. But, if I remember right, even though they call it a "10 point system", they really only graded the cards from 6 to 10.

If they have changed that, and adhere to a standard 10 point system, I'd be OK with it. The slabs are cheaper. There is no inner sleeve. It's a budget alternative.

But if the grading scales are different, all credibility is gone, because consumers won't understand it.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Tom Boblitt

I think they started BCCG so they could grade a bunch of crap for places like Target & Walmart so companies that supply them could put these high graded cards in blister packs along with wax and other cards and charge $19.95 or $29.95 to the unsuspecting public. JMO...........