NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-08-2023, 12:11 AM
Aaron W.

Default Topps Venezuela '68 misprint/error?

Hi everyone! I'm new around here. And really hoping to get some help with a particular card I just came across. I can't find a comp for it, and I'm really just looking to get more information about it.
My father-in-law was raised in Venezuela, and recently asked me to take a look at his small baseball card collection, which includes Topps 1962, 64, 66 and 68 Venezuela cards. There's some really great ones in there if you want to chat about those, but the card that has stopped me in my tracks is from the Topps Venezuela 1968 set. It is basically two cards in one, and is confounding to me. The face of the card says "Yaz Smashes Two Homers"... this card's corresponding number is supposed to be #152 in the set, but when I turn the card over, it shows #107 and the checklist that corresponds to the Juan Marichal checklist card. In short, it's the face of #152 and the back of #107.

Has anyone here seen or heard of any kind of misprint or error like this in this particular set/series? I'd love to know if this is something that might be considered an error, if it's one-of-a-kind, or even if it was a pretty common misprint during those days.

Thanks for any help or guidance you may be able to provide.

for reference:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8106.jpg (140.2 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8107.jpg (169.3 KB, 157 views)
Old 10-08-2023, 01:22 AM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

This is actually a known error.
I believe the error is actually the front. I don't think the yaz #152 exists in the '68 Venezuelan set as its own card, only as the error. Don't quote me though!

Edit: I'm wrong the card #152 of Carl with the correct back is a thing. Seems to actually be rarer than the error which is interesting.

Also, Nice first post!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/39488597968...mis&media=COPY

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 10-08-2023 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 10-08-2023, 04:30 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice...auction/594761
I was going to say that unless the variation is checklisted that PSA won't grade it, but they do. However, they should really have two different registry slots for this card, since the card exists as a full checklist.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 10-08-2023 at 04:33 AM.
Old 10-08-2023, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas00 View Post

Edit: I'm wrong the card #152 of Carl with the correct back is a thing. Seems to actually be rarer than the error which is interesting.
I didn't know that, I thought all 1968 Topps Venezuelan World Series Game #2 (Yaz) cards had the Checklist back. I also learned recently that there are 1968 Venezuelan Checklist 2 cards with the World Series Game #2 (Yaz) backs so apparently the Venezuelan printers mixed up either the fronts or the backs of those two cards on the sheet.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30512115689...Bk9SR4r4wP7hYg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68 ven checklist ws error 1.jpg (129.1 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 68 ven checklist ws error 2.jpg (99.6 KB, 129 views)
Old 10-08-2023, 12:45 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Went for cheap, I guess. Would be worth a bunch more if PSA slabs it and adds those slots to the 1968 Topps Venezuela(n) registry set.
Old 10-09-2023, 09:31 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Not much quality production in any of the Vene sets, lol. I have some lovely print errors from Vene's in my collection.

If the annoying seller and prior member Toppsaholic wasn't constantly overpaying on snipes for errors when I am bidding I would have more, lol. Then they join his error eBay museum at insane prices to live on forever.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 10-09-2023, 12:00 PM
Aaron W.

Default thanks!

Wow! This was all incredibly helpful and quite interesting. I knew I had come to the right place! I really appreciate you all.
If I have any other questions or come across anything else really interesting, I'll let you all know. As my original post said, I'm going through my father-in-law's cards, mostly from 1962-68 - all of them from the Venezuela sets. Still trying to figure out what, exactly, he wants to do with them. And trying not to get scammed in the process!
Old 10-09-2023, 04:30 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
Wow! This was all incredibly helpful and quite interesting. I knew I had come to the right place! I really appreciate you all.
If I have any other questions or come across anything else really interesting, I'll let you all know. As my original post said, I'm going through my father-in-law's cards, mostly from 1962-68 - all of them from the Venezuela sets. Still trying to figure out what, exactly, he wants to do with them. And trying not to get scammed in the process!
Comc.com is a great place to sell them. They have one really big seller of Venezuelan Topps cards, but could use another.
Old 10-09-2023, 11:09 PM
R!CK LYON$

The checklist card does come with both backs but the yaz World Series card only comes with the checklist back. No one has ever produced a correct copy for the yaz so has always been assumed it doesn’t exist.
Rick
Old 10-10-2023, 12:01 AM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Default Topps Venezuela '68 misprint/error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrlyons View Post
The checklist card does come with both backs but the yaz World Series card only comes with the checklist back. No one has ever produced a correct copy for the yaz so has always been assumed it doesn’t exist.

Rick

It does exist, somebody on tcdb has one, and posted it. Check it out.
Messaged them to make sure it wasn’t a checklist back. Will update when they get back to me.

https://www.tcdb.com/ViewCard.cfm/si...rs?PageIndex=2

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 10-10-2023 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-10-2023, 05:03 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Messaged them to make sure it wasn’t a checklist back. Will update when they get back to me.

It's possible that this is a kluge of either the wrong back from Marichal front and the wrong front from a 107 back. No guarantee the owner had both halves on the same card.
Old 10-10-2023, 07:28 AM

Here are the two cards on the 2nd Series sheet that were somehow flipped on the Venezuelan sheet. There are two distinctly different #107 Juan Marichal Series 2 Checklists, one was printed from the 1st Series sheet and one was printed fom the 2nd Series sheet. The 1st Series printed Marichal Checklist will always have the correct back but the 2nd Series printed Marichal Checklist should have the World Series wrong back. The question now is, are there World Series Game #2 and 2nd Series sheet Marichal Checklist #2 cards printed with the correct backs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68 2 slit 1.jpg (179.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 10-10-2023, 09:17 AM
R!CK LYON$

Quote:

That person just takes images from different places and posts them in TCDB. He doesn’t have those cards. So if you contact him if you get a response I’m sure that’s what you’re going to find.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:19 AM
R!CK LYON$

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
It's possible that this is a kluge of either the wrong back from Marichal front and the wrong front from a 107 back. No guarantee the owner had both halves on the same card.
Correct he just takes other peoples images and posts them there.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrlyons View Post
That person just takes images from different places and posts them in TCDB. He doesn’t have those cards. So if you contact him if you get a response I’m sure that’s what you’re going to find.
So that confirms the 1968 Venezuelan World Series Game #2 and Marichal Checklist 2 with right shoulder visible can only be found with flipped backs?
Old 10-10-2023, 09:45 AM
R!CK LYON$

Fronts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5718.jpg (191.4 KB, 55 views)
Old 10-10-2023, 09:47 AM
R!CK LYON$

Backs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5719.jpg (190.7 KB, 54 views)
Old 10-10-2023, 09:48 AM
R!CK LYON$

These are the three checklists I have and yes the error back ones have a different cropping of the picture than the correct one
Old 10-10-2023, 09:50 AM
R!CK LYON$

Front
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5716.jpg (190.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 10-10-2023, 09:52 AM
R!CK LYON$

Backs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5717.jpg (190.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 10-10-2023, 10:17 AM

Thank you for posting the checklists, that means the Marichal Checklist printed on the Series 1 sheet has wide mesh and no right shoulder and has the correct back, the Marichal Checklist printed on the Series 2 sheet has fine mesh and right shoulder visible and an incorrect World Series Game 2 back.
Old 10-10-2023, 10:08 PM
Aaron W.

You guys are incredible! All of this is really interesting stuff! It's only been a couple of days and I'm flabbergasted at the wealth of knowledge you all have that I wasn't able to find through other Internet searches. I'm glad I found and signed up to this forum!