NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Different bidding patterns

This is more anecdotal than scientific, but I am frequently struck by how some cards on ebay and to an extent in auctions start out pretty slowly and either gradually run up or don't have much movement until the very end; whereas some just seem to charge out of the box and be at a high percentage of value within a day or two or few.

If I were a cynic, I would say it's sometimes (often even) the difference between legitimate bidding, and cards being pushed up by their consignors.

But of course I'm not a cynic so it's all good.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; Yesterday at 05:57 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

-
It seems to me with auction houses there is an initial surge day one with placeholder bids, bidding slowly going up during the 3 week period the auction is open as more bidders become aware, and another bump the day before and day of auction on certain cards as bidders focus on what they want.

The true action is always extended bidding period when it goes lot by lot, although I've seen some cards sell at the bid just prior to extended bidding if they've been run up.
-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM

If it's a card I really want then I bid somewhat high to get less eyes on the auction from those looking a bargain later. It takes a 2nd person with a bid-high(ish) mindset to make it work, though.

I want people to bow out early or decide the buy-in is already too high (or too close to it) before they bid and get reminders about it.
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM
Scott Russell

I wish I had any theory as to bidding patterns. We have auctions where we get to 50% of projections with a week or more left and other times we don't get there until 3 or 4 days left, yet in each case the auction ends up roughly on projection. Lately it's been even more unpredictable.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

In the good old PWCC days, there were certain types of cards that would run up to 90 percent right out of the gate.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Based on the OP, I’m guessing this is intended to be an expose on shilling and other shenanigans.

So I guess we had better first decide whether there’s shilling or not. If there is shilling, then that could explain some of the zooming right out of the gate. Although there’s every possibility a good zoom could be legit, just with a couple of bidders deciding to not wait in terms of trying to out-bid each other. And there’s nothing to prevent a shill from waiting until the last minute to do their thing.

I tend to suspect that shilling is less prevalent than we fear, but probably not zero. But unless you’re the one doing the shilling, it’s hard to really know whether there’s shilling involved, or just another motivated collector you’re competing against. Even if the card comes right back onto the market, that’s not a dead giveaway that the auction was shilled, although it definitely gives you a bad taste.

I do think with eBay that sniping services make a difference, as there’s no ability to keep bidding once the auction ends. Get your bids in and that’s it. It’s not uncommon with that format to see a big jump in the last 5 seconds as the snipes come rolling in. And sometimes a couple of snipers put in ludicrous bids because they don’t want to lose, and figure no one else will be stupid enough to go that high. So one of them gets to pay 5x what it’s worth just because they didn’t want to lose. And the loser gets to have that comp thrown in their face for the next few years when they try to buy another one.

With the more traditional AH format that doesn’t allow for sniping, most auctions do seem to wait until the end, and that’s not surprising. I have participated in some serious zooms right out of the gate when some other bidder and I just decided there was no point in waiting. The other guy ended up winning, so I’m assuming he wasn’t just a shill, especially because the card didn’t come back onto the market.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; Yesterday at 06:53 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
In the good old PWCC days, there were certain types of cards that would run up to 90 percent right out of the gate.
I am still seeing that with a certain house but nothing like the BS that took place in the days of PWCC. No incentive for any bidder, unless it is their consignment, to see a huge run up. It is not a race.
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM
Peter Spaeth

I like that term for it, a zoom.

Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
Doug Goodman

For ebay style, specifically defined end time auctions, I put in a bid at the beginning, then I bid above what the item is worth to me with a few seconds remaining.

If I lose, I lose, I didn't really want to win at that price.

If I win at my max bid, then I think about other items I have won for less than I was willing to pay and feel like it averaged out.

If I win at less than my max bid, that's best.

For extended bidding type auctions, I employ the same general strategy, but bid to the next bid increment as late as possible.

My last bid is the first bid increment above what the item is worth to me.
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The auction rules change bidding strategy, which affects when bidding action takes place. For example:

Sterling: "One bid in the entire auction prior to 8:00 PM EST on September 19, this bid is all you need to qualify to bid on ANY item in the auction during the extended bidding session."

LOTG: " In order to bid on an item during the extended bidding session beginning on the date of the auction close, you must place at least one bid on that item prior to 9:00 PM Eastern on the auction closing date. If you do not bid on it by 9PM Eastern on the closing date, you cannot bid on it afterward."

I will throw out a bid in Sterling early on 1 lot then wait until the last night to bid on everything else. For LOTG, REA, etc., I may spend a couple of hours placing initial bids on 100s of lots.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old Today, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
For ebay style, specifically defined end time auctions, I put in a bid at the beginning, then I bid above what the item is worth to me with a few seconds remaining.

If I lose, I lose, I didn't really want to win at that price.

If I win at my max bid, then I think about other items I have won for less than I was willing to pay and feel like it averaged out.

If I win at less than my max bid, that's best.

For extended bidding type auctions, I employ the same general strategy, but bid to the next bid increment as late as possible.

My last bid is the first bid increment above what the item is worth to me.
I think Doug hits the ideal bidding style for me right on
Old Today, 07:05 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I’m definitely see the trend Pete identified. Particularly in modern.

When the latest stupid Superfractor 1/1 card shows up all of a sudden it’s bid up to $550,000 in a week. Why? Makes zero sense. There are only 3 or 4 people out there with that kind of cash looking to buy something like that. And I am sure they are mega-wealthy busy people and aren’t logging in to a website every night and placing meaningless bids to draw attention to something they would really like.

Last edited by Snapolit1; Today at 07:05 AM.
Old Today, 07:31 AM
Dave Wilson

This is exactly how I do it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
If it's a card I really want then I bid somewhat high to get less eyes on the auction from those looking a bargain later. It takes a 2nd person with a bid-high(ish) mindset to make it work, though.

I want people to bow out early or decide the buy-in is already too high (or too close to it) before they bid and get reminders about it.
Old Today, 09:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

My guess is that bidding strategies designed to impact the motivation/behavior of other bidders are wishful thinking and in a controlled experiment would not work out any differently than bidding late.

Old Today, 09:46 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I'm guessing the best bidding strategy is prob to bid for the first time 5 seconds before early bidding closes. In that case you have affected nothing and done nothing to draw attention to the auction.

But what fun is that.
Old Today, 10:02 AM
Al Richter

I guess I need to devise a strategy.
Old Today, 10:09 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I guess I need to devise a strategy.
You will be OK Al. I have tried many bidding strategies on eBay to scare away other bidders with no luck.
Old Today, 10:48 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

The phenomenon I will never understand is this (which happens ALL THE TIME...)

An item goes over a week with no bids at all. Then I place the initial bid on it. Within one minute it gets another bid (after a week or two of complete stagnancy). I can't count the number of times this has happened.

Are there really vultures who refrain from bidding for a week to 10 days, but are watching so closely that they pounce as soon as someone else bids? And what good is that strategy, given the fact that the closing is still a few days away?

What possible rationale do they have and what benefit do they derive from it?

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old Today, 11:19 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

An item goes over a week with no bids at all. Then I place the initial bid on it. Within one minute it gets another bid (after a week or two of complete stagnancy). I can't count the number of times this has happened.

Are there really vultures who refrain from bidding for a week to 10 days, but are watching so closely that they pounce as soon as someone else bids? And what good is that strategy, given the fact that the closing is still a few days away?

Not a whole lot makes rational sense when it comes to bidding strategies in my opinion. I gave up on thinking much about it a long time ago . I think people allow their emotions to get involved which really throws clear thinking out the window lol
Old Today, 11:20 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I think whatever your strategy you have to figure in bidder madness during extended bidding.
Old Today, 11:46 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
This is more anecdotal than scientific, but I am frequently struck by how some cards on ebay and to an extent in auctions start out pretty slowly and either gradually run up or don't have much movement until the very end; whereas some just seem to charge out of the box and be at a high percentage of value within a day or two or few.

If I were a cynic, I would say it's sometimes (often even) the difference between legitimate bidding, and cards being pushed up by their consignors.

But of course I'm not a cynic so it's all good.
I have noticed this for a long time on many sites. Not sure of the rhyme or reason, but it definitely is worth a look.

I think the bigger issue when said cards are auctioned off again in the next few months after the auctions ends. Lots of retreads show up and they show often. I am most wary of those.
Old Today, 11:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Does this happen more with particular auctions?

Old Today, 11:50 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkplace33 View Post
I have noticed this for a long time on many sites. Not sure of the rhyme or reason, but it definitely is worth a look.

I think the bigger issue when said cards are auctioned off again in the next few months after the auctions ends. Lots of retreads show up and they show often. I am most wary of those.
I call them Musical Chair Comps...
Old Today, 11:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I call them Musical Chair Comps...
No way those cards are all people legitimately trying to flip them which would require a 20 percent gain just to break even. There is no visibility at all into auctions, we don't know who consigned, we don't know who bid, we don't know who won or "won."

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; Today at 12:00 PM.
Old Today, 01:31 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
These are almost always cards with extraordinary eye appeal or cards that are in high demand and that are very difficult to just find any copy of.
Old Today, 01:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
These are almost always cards with extraordinary eye appeal or cards that are in high demand and that are very difficult to just find any copy of.
Non sequitur. One, what does that have to do with the bidding pattern, if I really wanted a card on ebay the last thing I would do was keep running it up and bidding against myself six hours after it was listed. Two, with PWCC it was by no means limited to special cards. Three, it seemed very frequently the bids were placed by the same bidders, and or bidders with huge numbers of retractions.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; Today at 02:12 PM.
Old Today, 01:49 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Many times I visit auctions I check out "Recent Bids".

I often see something cool this way and throw down a bid. Gets me out of my usual searches.

I do appreciate how this can look odd, coming out of nowhere.

Quote:

Last edited by Snapolit1; Today at 01:50 PM.
Old Today, 02:32 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

1055. The Multiple Bid Absurdity Principle
The rationale that any bid made during the course of an auction is a wasted bid, because it harms you by needlessly and artificially raising the price of the item. Logically speaking, the ONLY bid one should ever make is an all-in, last moment snipe bid.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old Today, 04:54 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Here's who comes to mind, regarding that circumstance...

Huggins & Scott
Heritage
Lelands
Clean Sweep
REA
Hunt's
Mears
Memory Lane
Mile High
Hake's

Other than the fact that REA now owns Huggins, I see no commonality there. So I would say it's a widespread phenomenon.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old Today, 05:56 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

I guess LOTG is exempt from those patterns!!??

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel