NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-02-2024, 06:49 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Does reduced trimming trump centering?

If we start with a couple of assumptions that I think most will agree with:

(1) Centering is an important feature that contributes substantially to the attractiveness of a card; and

(2) It is preferable to collect cards that have not been trimmed, or at least have been trimmed less than most.*

*I am trying to avoid argument regarding the pervasiveness of trimming and whether a particular card has or has not been trimmed. I am also trying to avoid introducing other forms of alteration to focus on trimming. Snowman is an active spokesperson for the view that the only sensible perspective is that most attractive graded vintage cards have been trimmed and if you own one you have to assume it may have been trimmed. This leads to another factor in the attractiveness of a card: Does it look trimmed? Heavily trimmed? Lightly trimmed? Maybe not trimmed? Etc.

Below are four cards from one of my Washington back runs. The first one and the last one are well centered mid-grade examples. The middle two, though lower graded and less well centered, show more total top-and-bottom border, which would suggest less trimming, perhaps no trimming. The larger combined borders on the middle two also make it harder to look at the other two and not suspect that their superior centering stems at least in part from greater/better trimming.

So, I am interested in thoughts regarding how this phenomenon plays into card evaluation. If centering is vital to you (as it is to Snowman) do you elevate it above all else? Or do you prefer a card that, while not centered well, at least has borders that are large enough for you to believe it may not have been trimmed (much)? Do you reject a card that is perfectly centered but (appears) obviously trimmed?

The cards shown illustrate where I come out on this. The first one and the last one have enough border to (barely) support excellent centering. The middle two are regrettably off-center, but I love the larger (bottom) border. (Leon prefers big top borders and I would take it either way, although I do like an ample margin below the name.)

(Snowman: I hope you don't mind me leaning on some of your prior statements to frame this question. I hope to hear your thoughts on this as well.)
Old 06-02-2024, 07:05 AM

Default Centering

George- Your scenario and questions are interesting. I'll begin by directly
answering the questions you asked:

1) Centering is the first attribute I notice on a card, but not the only one

2) Large border T206 don't bother me in the least

3) Yes, I would reject an obviously trimmed card

In regard to centering questions, the biggest issue I'm noticing is just how
often collectors mischaracterize it. You even did it yourself in the opening
post, when you referred to the middle examples as "off center". They aren't
off center, they just aren't perfectly centered. I wish I could recall the ID of
a member I was talking with privately a couple years ago. I owned a couple
T206 I described ad nicely centered, and he couldn't understand that a card
could be well centered/nicely centered without being "perfectly" centered.
The number of perfectly centered T206 must be miniscule indeed. If any of
you own T206 with 55/45 centering and are upset they aren't "perfect", I'll
take them off your hands

Trent King

PS- For the record, I like all 4 of your cards!
Old 06-02-2024, 09:48 AM
Al Stein

I like fat borders on T206s. I don't know if the skinny ones were trimmed or just cut that way, but the fat ones look better. I like the first card. The 2nd and 3rd don't fill out the holder and will probably rattle around. The 4th card is plus-sized, too, although not as nicely centered.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
If we start with a couple of assumptions that I think most will agree with:

(1) Centering is a important feature that contributes substantially to the attractiveness of a card Regarding vintage cards, I believe centering is probably discussed more often than other characteristics. This might be due to the fact it's typically simple and straightforward. Even a relatively new collector can see and confidently discuss the centering of a vintage card.; and

(2) It is preferable to collect cards that have not been trimmed, or at least have been trimmed less than most.* Whether a card has been trimmed seems, to me like a "yes" or "no" condition. It either has been trimmed or it hasn't.

*I am trying to avoid argument regarding the pervasiveness of trimming and whether a particular card has or has not been trimmed. I am also trying to avoid introducing other forms of alteration to focus on trimming. Snowman is an active spokesperson for the view that the only sensible perspective is that most attractive graded vintage cards have been trimmed and if you own one you have to assume it may have been trimmed. This leads to another factor in the attractiveness of a card: Does it look trimmed? Heavily trimmed? Lightly trimmed? Maybe not trimmed? Etc.

Below are four cards from one of my Washington back runs. The first one and the last one are well centered mid-grade examples. The middle two, though lower graded and less well centered, show more total top-and-bottom border, which would suggest less trimming, perhaps no trimming. The larger combined borders on the middle two also make it harder to look at the other two and not suspect that their superior centering stems at least in part from greater/better trimming.

So, I am interested in thoughts regarding how this phenomenon plays into card evaluation.
If centering is vital to you (as it is to Snowman) do you elevate it above all else? No, not above all else. Give me a 70/30 card with great color and registration over a blurry, washed out example that's DEAD CENTERED. Or do you prefer a card that, while not centered well, at least has borders that are large enough for you to believe it may not have been trimmed (much)? Do you reject a card that is perfectly centered but (appears) obviously trimmed? Again, to me, trimmed is a yes/no condition. It's like being pregnant. You either are or you aren't.

The cards shown illustrate where I come out on this. The first one and the last one have enough border to (barely) support excellent centering. The middle two are regrettably off-center, but I love the larger (bottom) border. (Leon prefers big top borders and I would take it either way, although I do like an ample margin below the name.)

(Snowman: I hope you don't mind me leaning on some of your prior statements to frame this question. I hope to hear your thoughts on this as well.)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-02-2024, 10:39 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I like the sharp image of the first card best of the four. Sharp focus and registration is more important than centering to me any day of the week. It's the image of the central subject that matters most.

If there's any suspicion of trimming or "corrective" centering, I don't want it.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 06-02-2024, 12:01 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Thanks for the responses. I wanted to weigh in regarding the issue: "Trimmed is a yes or no condition." and "if there is any suspicion of trimming, I don't want it."

This confuses me because it would seem to "define away" the key point I am trying to get at. My point wants to be that (almost) every purchase of a graded vintage card entails uncertainty regarding whether the card has been trimmed. Some look trimmed but might not be. Others sport robust borders, but who can rule out trimming? It seems to me that every card (I realize there are other factors involved in eye quality, but to focus on centering versus trimming) entails some tradeoff between how well it is centered and whether that centering (let alone edges) was achieved/enhanced via trimming.

If what you mean is some version of: "I don't buy high grade cards because I assume they are all trimmed, and I buy low grade cards that cost little enough that I don't sweat the possibility of trimming as much," I guess I could get that. But a "yes or no condition" seems to me to be an unrealistic standard in the marketplace.

For me, the examples I provided illustrate the tradeoff that exists in the marketplace: the centered examples (1 and 4) have just enough (any less and I would prefer a card that appeared less likely to have been trimmed) top and bottom border for me to accept the still significant risk that they may have been trimmed; while the "bottom heavy" examples (2 and 3) have just enough top border (any less and I would prefer a card with better top to bottom centering) for me to accept diminished centering in exchange for a very low probability of trimming (at least top to bottom).
Old 06-02-2024, 12:28 PM
Luke Lyon

I can't tell whether to take your words at face value, or if you're poking some fun at snowman, but none of your cards are trimmed. It's pretty easy to detect trimming on the vast majority of t206s. The only time it's tough is when the corners are sharp. Usually that means trimming, but not always.

To answer your question, if I am ever on the fence about whether a card in a numeric holder was trimmed, yes that affects how much I want it. I can usually tell one way or the other but there are occasionally some cards that leave me unsure based on looking at scans.

It's probably not very relevant to your question but I don't care that much about centering. I like rare cards and condition is down the list of things I worry about.
Old 06-02-2024, 01:17 PM

Definitely T206 cards can be well-centered, have large borders AND have no trimming.

In my collecting world, centering is overrated. Give me good registration and color everyday. My favorite of the shown McIntyre Can-Can Dancing Trio is the card on the far right. It has decent color (not quite as good as the one in the center), but its registration is the best, and overrules any of its card flaws.

Not that I would kick any of the Can-Can Trio out of the revue.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206mcintyrebrooklyn 001.jpg (86.7 KB, 192 views)
Old 06-02-2024, 01:44 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
Thanks for the responses. I wanted to weigh in regarding the issue: "Trimmed is a yes or no condition." and "if there is any suspicion of trimming, I don't want it."

This confuses me because it would seem to "define away" the key point I am trying to get at. My point wants to be that (almost) every purchase of a graded vintage card entails uncertainty regarding whether the card has been trimmed. Some look trimmed but might not be. Others sport robust borders, but who can rule out trimming? It seems to me that every card (I realize there are other factors involved in eye quality, but to focus on centering versus trimming) entails some tradeoff between how well it is centered and whether that centering (let alone edges) was achieved/enhanced via trimming.

If what you mean is some version of: "I don't buy high grade cards because I assume they are all trimmed, and I buy low grade cards that cost little enough that I don't sweat the possibility of trimming as much," I guess I could get that. But a "yes or no condition" seems to me to be an unrealistic standard in the marketplace.

For me, the examples I provided illustrate the tradeoff that exists in the marketplace: the centered examples (1 and 4) have just enough (any less and I would prefer a card that appeared less likely to have been trimmed) top and bottom border for me to accept the still significant risk that they may have been trimmed; while the "bottom heavy" examples (2 and 3) have just enough top border (any less and I would prefer a card with better top to bottom centering) for me to accept diminished centering in exchange for a very low probability of trimming (at least top to bottom).
It is a fact though. A card is either 1) trimmed or 2) not trimmed. There is no real possible status besides these two. It is a yes or no attribute, whatever ones opinion is.

Furthermore, trimming is usually (almost always, in hand) detectable with vintage cards. The natural size variance of T206 is not evidence that everything but the largest of cards are trimmed.
Old 06-02-2024, 03:01 PM

One of the key aspects of determining if a T206 has been trimmed or not is to learn what the edges should like, sizes will vary, original cuts will not. There are tell-tale signs of how the sheets were cut into vertical strips and then horizontally into singles, which if one handles enough of them, can learn what an original edge should look like.

A 10x loupe is generally all you will need.

Last edited by sb1; 06-02-2024 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-02-2024, 04:29 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
One of the key aspects of determining if a T206 has been trimmed or not is to learn what the edges should like, sizes will vary, original cuts will not. There are tell-tale signs of how the sheets were cut into vertical strips and then horizontally into singles, which if one handles enough of them, can learn what an original edge should look like.

+1

This article by David Cycleback has been helpful to me. Hopefully, others will also benefit from it.

https://net54baseball.com/forum/content/trimming.html

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-03-2024, 08:28 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
+1

This article by David Cycleback has been helpful to me. Hopefully, others will also benefit from it.

https://net54baseball.com/forum/content/trimming.html
It really is an excellent article, hits the main points without getting too technical in the areas that are outliers.

One thing I will add, the rolled edge and corresponding ridge on the other side hold up even after major wear. That was a surprise to me years ago when I checked some of mine. Even cards well into the Poor to fair range clearly had those edge qualities.

There are a few ways an edge can look and be strange and not be trimmed. But they're mostly uncommon.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

+1. Study of original cards is a great thing. That said, I always go for big borders too. I stay far, far away from high grade T206s with tiny borders. I am careful and feel very good about none of my (20+) T206s being trimmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206j.jpg (196.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 06-03-2024, 09:55 AM
Steve Birmingham

To get back closer to the original topic, I've never been all that insistent about centering. Having it be sort of even is a plus, but a nice card that's not well centered is fine for me.

A nice card rejected for atypical cuts top and bottom, likely from a dull blade.
Old Today, 02:58 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

All cards have been cut by a blade. Different blades produce different cuts. Variations in the sharpness of each blade produce variations in edge textures even within the same sets. If a 1954 Topps card was cut with one of the rotary cutters with a dull blade, then it produced cards with a rough cut. These were only used on the left and right edges of the cards though, as a different blade was used to cut them horizontally (ream cutters).

Here is a link below to an article on CU regarding the manufacturing process at Topps with several pictures of the process. Note there are also videos and other resources available online of the operations inside Panini and other card manufacturers.

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...opps-cut-cards

If you believe that you can spot the majority of trimmed cards with a loupe, you're wrong. Especially with modern cards. You can learn how to detect a botched edge or a bad trim job, but you absolutely cannot detect a good one and neither can the most experienced graders at every TPG. And if you think AI is going to help with that, you'd be wrong again.

That said, you can certainly tell when certain cards have been trimmed. I encounter them regularly. But those were all trimmed by amateurs. It's like hair transplants. You can't detect a good one, only the bad ones. There are a lot of people walking around with hair transplants and you just don't know it. I wonder what there's more of, trimmed cards or people with hair transplants? I'd bet it close. Both are certainly in the millions.

As far as how to approach the market as a buyer, I think what the OP is getting at is that there is often no way of truly knowing whether or not a card has been trimmed. If it bothers you enough then you should probably study the subject, perhaps even cut up some cards yourself with various blades and examine them with a loupe so that you know what you're looking at. Then approach each card you encounter as having a likelihood of being trimmed or not rather than a "yes" or "no" determination. Cards with rounded corners are usually safe, cards with sharp corners that don't measure correctly are often not. If it's a PSA 9 or 10 vintage card and the borders look small, then it was almost certainly trimmed (and there are A LOT of these cards out there). Maybe take the Leon approach and only look for cards with large borders (although even large cards are not always safe). You can easily slice off 1/128" from a card. So if a card measures even just 1/32" tall, that means someone could trim it 4 times and still be within spec. And if you think rough cuts are safe, think again. This example below from a BODA post should tell you nearly everything you need to know about the trimming scandal. Note it measures the same size in both images.

As for me personally, I generally don't want trimmed cards unless it's a high-end card that I wouldn't otherwise be able to buy. Or rather I should say I don't want cards that bear evidence of trimming. I'm sure there are cards in my collection that were trimmed undetectably (we all have them), but as long as they measure correctly and the edges look like factory cuts, then I probably wouldn't care if I were to find out that it was trimmed. But I definitely try to avoid trimmed cards to the extent that it's possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ClementeRC_Bef_v_After.jpg (196.5 KB, 22 views)
Old Today, 03:03 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

The funny thing about the Clemente above is that Moser put the rough cuts on the wrong edges lol. Seems like he would know that too. I wonder if he was trolling PSA/the hobby when he chopped that one up?

PSA says it's still good though lol

https://www.psacard.com/cert/26928973