NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Banned

Default FRAUF ALERT!!! beware of dropthepuck20 on ebay

do not buy any unopened packs from dropthepuck20 on ebay he just scammed for over $1200.00 on a 1981 topps football rack box he told me was authentic. well after I received it looked great and was happy at first. then couple weeks later when I went to display my unopened collection I looked at the bottom of the box and it said 1984 topps on it I was so angry that I got taken and the 14day return policey has expired. this scammer wants me to still send it back for a refund but I don't trust he will give me a refund if I send this fake 81 rack box he sold me back to hime before he refunds me.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Anyone care to take a guess on how many packs had a Montana RC on the front or back?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Banned

yes one of the packs had Montana rookie on the back. we should expose this guy. one of the packs had art monk and Montana on the back and that lowlife scammer told me it was a legit box I believed him he had perfect feedback for selling unopened packs so I bought the box. I would of never knowen if the box said 1981 on the bottom
Old 05-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default ?

So why are we talking about 1980's football cards? Isn't this a pre-war baseball card forum?

Good God.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

A true "scammer" would search the packs and take out the ones with Montana on the back/front (and in the middle too for that matter).

It could be an honest mistake. He probably bought it from someone and didn't pay attention to the bottom of the box.

To me, the unsearched packs still have quite a bit of value, regardless of what box they are in. You have every right to ask for a refund, but this isn't nearly as egregious as selling searched packs.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
So why are we talking about 1980's football cards? Isn't this a pre-war baseball card forum?

Good God.
... and yes, this doesn't belong in this forum.

Last edited by peterose4hof; 05-13-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

John,
what you have there is 1981 racks in an 1984 box that doesn't mean is fake,
just that for whatever reason he replaced the cardboard box the seller is an
ok seller, but if you don't trust him simply open a case with paypal if you did
used them and when you send it back use signature confirmation,
i'm pretty sure it will be easy to resolved, not necessary to use a fraud alert
for this simply ask for help.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:00 PM
Banned

but the packs with the Montana on the back and monk on the front could be fake besides have been put in their to make the fraud look good
Old 05-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Banned

I am afraid if I send him back the box he will not refund my money. I am just so pissed off because he told me it was an orginal box. I spent over $1200.00
Old 05-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscollector View Post
but the packs with the Montana on the back and monk on the front could be fake besides have been put in their to make the fraud look good
I just deleted your post (identical to this thread's first post) in another thread about something completely different, started by another member. Posting that is against the rules (and just wrong) so please refrain from it in the future. This thread itself is in the wrong forum but that can be overlooked on the first post or three, of a new member. It's always good to point out bad stuff but please do it properly. thanks

Last edited by Leon; 05-13-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

just open a case with paypal dude.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Steve Birmingham

I found the listing, 14 packs with stars showing and you're worried about the outside box?

It's probably a box made by a dealer in 84. Go through a few rack cases, pull out all the stars showing and store them in a box. Since it was storage they didn't care what box they used.

If you get a 1984 price guide I'll bet all the packs have a card showing that was better than a common then.

It was later, but a very low end salvage/closeout retailer near me had thousands of 91 donruss rack packs in about 93 or so. I only bought a few, but there were other guys sorting throught the pile who bought 5-6 boxes full of packs with stars showing. All neatly packed into boxes. One guy had 2 entire boxes with Ryan showing.

Steve B
Old 05-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Brandon

"FRAUF" sounds German...
Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 PM
And.rew C0rs0

I'm at a loss as to what the outrage is about. The cardboard box can be opened and closed so is hardly what constitutes the "unopened" aspect of the item. If you want to keep the rack packs why not try to find just the box for 1981 cards and stick them in that box? Or...send them back and get a refund. The guy said he'd refund your money. Why not at least try that before defaming the seller? The age of the box seems relatively inconsequential to me when it is the cello packs that are unopened. If you used EBay and PayPal you are protected. No need to make a Federal case of it...oh wait, too soon?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:18 PM
David Pierson
Banned

The proper cardboard box would be important to me......if I was into that stuff. Dave.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:08 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
yes one of the packs had Montana rookie on the back. we should expose this guy. one of the packs had art monk and Montana on the back and that lowlife scammer told me it was a legit box I believed him he had perfect feedback for selling unopened packs so I bought the box. I would of never knowen if the box said 1981 on the bottom
So let me get this straight. He has perfect feedback and he offered you a full refund if you return the packs but you are afraid that you'll be "scammed" again? Sorry but that's the refunds work on eBay or anywhere for that matter. Also, it sounds more like an honest mistake. Send the package back and keep track of all communications with this seller. I'd be surprised if you didn't get your refund. Seems quite straight-forward. Even eBay couldn't screw this up.

p.s. Doesn't the Buyer Protect Plan protect you? I'm assuming you paid with PayPal.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
just open a case with paypal dude.
The first move should be to contact the seller and explain the problem. Give the seller a chance to make things right.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Dave

Packs seem fine. Nobody gives a refund without receiving the items back first.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:21 AM
Banned

but it says 14 day return policy I didn't notice the fraud until after the 14 day money back guarantee expired can I still get a refund?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:23 AM
Banned

also I contacted another person that bought an 81 topps rack box from him and the same thing his box was not a orginal 81 box. He didn't notice it either until like 30 days after he purchased the box. I strongly suspect dropthepuck20 is not on the up and up
Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Quote:
but it says 14 day return policy I didn't notice the fraud until after the 14 day money back guarantee expired can I still get a refund?
This is a very Zone sounding question.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 AM
Banned

Quote:

you can get the refund if he is willing to refund, which he said HE WAS.

It's not necessarily a fraud if he made a mistake. Fraud is on purpose. We don't know if he did it on purpose. He is willing to give a refund, why not get a refund?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:35 AM
Banned

I contacted some of his other buyers and one of them gotback to me and said his rack box was no good
Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Sounds like a horrible case of frauf and you should be in full panic mode by now.

(actually, you are protected in many ways, not least of which is the fact that the seller said he'd give you a refund)
Old 05-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Banned

the problem is that he only offered a 14 day return policy and I didn't dicover the fraud until after 14 days. I feel if I return it now he will just keep the box and not give me my money back
Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

but then you are protected by ebay AND paypal.

Quote:
the problem is that he only offered a 14 day return policy and I didn't dicover the fraud until after 14 days. I feel if I return it now he will just keep the box and not give me my money back
Old 05-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Being an occasional seller myself I would loosen the rules a bit and give you your refund.

You should contact eBay and run your situation by them to see how the Buyer Protection Plan would work in this case. If eBay says you are still protected then contact the seller and tell him you are returning the goods for a refund. If there is a problem then you go through the normal problem resolution channels in place at eBay.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:20 PM
J@son Du.nc@n

John Perez

What is your eBay ID? Just curious.

Jason
Old 05-14-2013, 01:50 PM
T0dd M@rcum

As someone who was dealing wax back then, you got some weird stuff from time to time. I think it was Steve Myland who would sell miswraps and mismatched boxes that were direct from topps..I remember buying an 85 wax box in an 87 box which was fine...Obviously, you do what you think you need to do, but baseball cards were not an exact science then.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Dave

If anybody remembers back then, Football cards were not exactly a popular product back then either. Topps would regularly liquidate them off as closeouts, and it certainly wouldn't surprise me if they were dumping close-out 1981 rack packs in 1984, in whatever boxes they had in their facility at the time.

Anybody remember the highly regarded 1984 NFL wax boxes with big black close-out "X"s on them? I know a guy who was buying them up for like 100 bucks a case in 1986-87 or so.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 05-14-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonD08 View Post
John Perez

What is your eBay ID? Just curious.

Jason
A-HA! I see what you're trying to do. Very sneaky.

I'd also like to know (just for curiosity sake of course)
Old 05-14-2013, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
If anybody remembers back then, Football cards were not exactly a popular product back then either. Topps would regularly liquidate them off as closeouts, and it certainly wouldn't surprise me if they were dumping close-out 1981 rack packs in 1984, in whatever boxes they had in their facility at the time.

Anybody remember the highly regarded 1984 NFL wax boxes with big black close-out "X"s on them? I know a guy who was buying them up for like 100 bucks a case in 1986-87 or so.
if what you are saying is true then I would deffently owe the seller an apology. with all the unopened fraud out their its easy to think this was a fraud. I very angry spending $1200.00 dollars and finding out the box said 1984 on the bottom if this happened to you wouldn't you be pretty angery

Last edited by sportscollector; 05-14-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I very angry spending $1200.00 dollars and finding out the box said 1984 on the bottom if this happened to you wouldn't you be pretty angery
Ummm, not really. The value is in the contents of the box, not the box itself. Let me put this another way. Let's say I sold you a 1981 Topps football set (hand collated of course as there were no factory sets) and I ship it in a white 600 ct baseball card box that says "1984 Topps FB" on the outside of the box. Are you really going to complain because the box says 1984 instead of 1981? Does it matter what the box says on the outside or does it matter that you got what you paid for (the contents on the inside of the box). I really don't understand your gripe here (unless the packs themselves are damaged or tampered with - then that's another story).
Old 05-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Banned

ok after doing some more research I might owe dropthepuck20 a major apology I jumped the gun here. With all the fake unopened stuff floating around has me and a lot of other people paranoid I guess. so if this was a box that topps used to unload their backed up inventory then i guess that would make sense back then I remember football cards were very unpopular back in the early 80's to mid 80's as well
Old 05-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Ummm, not really. The value is in the contents of the box, not the box itself. Let me put this another way. Let's say I sold you a 1981 Topps football set (hand collated of course as there were no factory sets) and I ship it in a white 600 ct baseball card box that says "1984 Topps FB" on the outside of the box. Are you really going to complain because the box says 1984 instead of 1981? Does it matter what the box says on the outside or does it matter that you got what you paid for (the contents on the inside of the box). I really don't understand your gripe here (unless the packs themselves are damaged or tampered with - then that's another story).
+1

Wow, first time I've typed that.

The box that was bought was much better than a typical 81 rack box, 14 packs with stars showing would be unusual.

Steve b