NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-14-2024, 02:12 PM
Jim
Ja.mes Merm.igis

Default Paul Skenes Superfractor Bowman Chrome Auto RC Back on Market

Paul Skenes best RC on the market again

Golden Elite Auction

Predictions?

I saw $125k

More than the Recent Gehrig RC and Babe Ruth game used bat.
Old 09-14-2024, 06:44 PM

Imagine that. A Pirate beating the Yankees. Oh, yeah. October 13, 1960, 3:36 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_EnDpFD0y0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLo88Vf90g0
Old Today, 07:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Every time I see these new cards selling for more than the great old ones, I just shake my head. And that is why there is chocolate and vanilla. I don't even know of 99% of the new players. I would if I cared, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeCollector View Post
Paul Skenes best RC on the market again

Golden Elite Auction

Predictions?

I saw $125k

More than the Recent Gehrig RC and Babe Ruth game used bat.
Old Today, 07:16 AM
Frank Wakefield

+1 for what Leon said.

I was once told I wasn't a baseball fan; and it shocked me, the comment was from a good friend who collected the old cards (our cards) and knew tons more about them than I did... we'd gone to MLB games together, even a WS game.

He told me I was not a fan of modern baseball with outrageous salaries, through the roof ticket prices, $11 beer... instead, I was a fan of 19th and 20th century baseball. He was right.

I can watch an all-star game and know just a hand full of players. I'd not go to the home run thing the night before the AS game if I was given tickets, lodging, and airfare.
Old Today, 08:03 AM

As a younger person, I would have flipped out for the streaming games we have now. I'm still a bit amazed how easy the access is for high quality streams.

MLB Players Alumni Association $25 membership. Half off the $140 MLB.tv streaming package. $95 a year for everything (local blackouts apply). This is a golden era of game consumption.

I watch many 100s of hours of games per season and it's awesome. I'm very thankful to live in this era and if/when the era of local blackouts come it should only get better.
Old Today, 08:11 AM
Tom Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
+1 for what Leon said.

I was once told I wasn't a baseball fan; and it shocked me, the comment was from a good friend who collected the old cards (our cards) and knew tons more about them than I did... we'd gone to MLB games together, even a WS game.

He told me I was not a fan of modern baseball with outrageous salaries, through the roof ticket prices, $11 beer... instead, I was a fan of 19th and 20th century baseball. He was right.

I can watch an all-star game and know just a hand full of players. I'd not go to the home run thing the night before the AS game if I was given tickets, lodging, and airfare.

I couldn't agree with you more. Each year I am less and less interested in modern MLB. The micromanaging rule changes, disrespectful players, etc. I recently dumped all my modern crap and switched to pre-war. I'm never going back.
Old Today, 08:43 AM

If disrespectful players keep you from enjoying the game, then I don't think you would have enjoyed 19th and turn of the 20th century baseball. The game was perceived as being solely for disrespectful people of ill repute. This was mentioned many times in many stories throughout the Glory of Their Times.
Old Today, 09:44 AM
Tom Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
If disrespectful players keep you from enjoying the game, then I don't think you would have enjoyed 19th and turn of the 20th century baseball. The game was perceived as being solely for disrespectful people of ill repute. This was mentioned many times in many stories throughout the Glory of Their Times.

**** Let me clarify: Players that don't respect the game. Hot dogs, showboats, etc. This was not tolerated in as little as 40 years ago. And this is simply one small factor. The silly changes(pitch clock, base enlarging, lack of strategy/all or nothing Home Run approach) are much larger that the the Eloys and Tatis types that ass up the game today.

Last edited by Bryzz02016; Today at 09:45 AM.
Old Today, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
As a younger person, I would have flipped out for the streaming games we have now. I'm still a bit amazed how easy the access is for high quality streams.

MLB Players Alumni Association $25 membership. Half off the $140 MLB.tv streaming package. $95 a year for everything (local blackouts apply). This is a golden era of game consumption.

I watch many 100s of hours of games per season and it's awesome. I'm very thankful to live in this era and if/when the era of local blackouts come it should only get better.
I agree with you. I recently got back into watching baseball after a 30 year break, and I love it. The game is much more accessible now.
Old Today, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryzz02016 View Post
**** Let me clarify: Players that don't respect the game. Hot dogs, showboats, etc. This was not tolerated in as little as 40 years ago. And this is simply one small factor. The silly changes(pitch clock, base enlarging, lack of strategy/all or nothing Home Run approach) are much larger that the the Eloys and Tatis types that ass up the game today.

Wasn't it exciting to do well when you were younger? I don't understand why older people are upset when young people have a good time. When I was 21, if I cranked a 450 foot homer to deep center in the 9th inning of a major league baseball game, yeah, I'm going to go nuts. And it's not going to bother me if some older person in the stands who didn't hit a home run doesn't like how excited I am for hitting mine.

These are grown men playing a children's game for a living, after all. How serious should you be?

Last edited by packs; Today at 11:18 AM.
Old Today, 11:44 AM
Tim Newcomb

Default I agree

It took me a little while, but I have gotten to really enjoy all the whooping and hollering in today's game - now when I see footage from the 1950s where a player does something special and then he and his teammates barely react, it seems unnatural. Today's game may be less stately or elegant, but it's a lot more fun to watch. The recent rule changes (pitch clock, limiting pitching changes) have helped with quickening the pace of games. And what magic could possibly be lost by making the bases two inches wider and encouraging more steals? I just wish they could figure out a way to reduce strikeouts and get OPS up some....

Quote:
Wasn't it exciting to do well when you were younger? I don't understand why older people are upset when young people have a good time. When I was 21, if I cranked a 450 foot homer to deep center in the 9th inning of a major league baseball game, yeah, I'm going to go nuts. And it's not going to bother me if some older person in the stands who didn't hit a home run doesn't like how excited I am for hitting mine.

These are grown men playing a children's game for a living, after all. How serious should you be?

Last edited by timn1; Today at 11:49 AM.
Old Today, 12:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

Well, ask a players agent how serious baseball is. And I am not begrudging anyone making what they can. It is a game, but kind of high stakes one.

I was out with the 1994 half season strike. I just really never went back to it. Too many other things to distract me. And I am happy there are so many fans today. If baseball wasn't popular then collecting baseball cards wouldn't be as popular and fun. New baseball stuff is great for 98% of the guys on this forum, probiably. Then, there are the other 2 percent of us.

I loved playing baseball (still pay a little softball) and watching the games when I was younger. If everyone were the same the world would be a boring place. Go Rangers!
Old Today, 12:26 PM

I enjoy the history of baseball and the items associated with that more than this new wave of these over inflated value of modern cards.
Old Today, 02:29 PM

I highly suggest anyone who doesn't appreciate "fun baseball" never watch any Dominican Winter League baseball games.

You might give yourself an aneurysm seeing an entire dugout celebrate a game tieing HR in the 3rd inning or pimping a bat flip going 30+ft. into the air.

Actually, it might win some of you over. The players are having more fun than the fans at some points and the fans are having lots of fun.
Old Today, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Well, ask a players agent how serious baseball is. And I am not begrudging anyone making what they can. It is a game, but kind of high stakes one.

I was out with the 1994 half season strike. I just really never went back to it. Too many other things to distract me. And I am happy there are so many fans today. If baseball wasn't popular then collecting baseball cards wouldn't be as popular and fun. New baseball stuff is great for 98% of the guys on this forum, probiably. Then, there are the other 2 percent of us.

I loved playing baseball (still pay a little softball) and watching the games when I was younger. If everyone were the same the world would be a boring place. Go Rangers!

All fair points. I don’t disagree things get serious for you when there’s money involved but it’s still playing baseball for a living. If I made a million dollars a year playing tag professionally I think it would still do me some good to have some perspective about playing tag for a living.
Old Today, 03:01 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Yeah, it's football, but I miss the days of Barry Sanders making sick moves and getting into the end zone, only to then simply flip the ball to the nearest official. No hullabaloo.

When I tune in to Mets games now, every time someone hits a home run they begin pointing to the heavens, the dugout and random places all over the stadium as the lights are dramatically lowered for his celebratory rounding of the bases, but it's not over. Then he and his teammates do their well-choreographed, super duper handshaking/fist bumping line dance sort of thing before heading to the dugout for even more displays of adulation...and all of this pageantry is to celebrate a frickin' solo shot when they were LOSING 8 - 0!!!

Please give me back the old days!!!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old Today, 03:06 PM

I have zero interest in a Paul Skenes card. But I absolutely love watching him pitch. There is absolutely a place for one to collect one era while still loving and appreciating the sheer skill, talent, and accessibility of another.

Last edited by MJRaider; Today at 03:07 PM.
Old Today, 03:59 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Yeah, it's football, but I miss the days of Barry Sanders making sick moves and getting into the end zone, only to then simply flip the ball to the nearest official. No hullabaloo.

When I tune in to Mets games now, every time someone hits a home run they begin pointing to the heavens, the dugout and random places all over the stadium as the lights are dramatically lowered for his celebratory rounding of the bases, but it's not over. Then he and his teammates do their well-choreographed, super duper handshaking/fist bumping line dance sort of thing before heading to the dugout for even more displays of adulation...and all of this pageantry is to celebrate a frickin' solo shot when they were LOSING 8 - 0!!!

Please give me back the old days!!!
+1, I appreciate the classy "work ethic" attitude and understated behavior in any sport.

To be clear, there is a time to celebrate like Larsen's perfect game or any other perfect game celebration for example. Game ending slam in the 9th, celebrate all you want.

To see an individual celebrate an individual accomplishment when his "team" is losing just looks dumb in a team sport environment.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old Today, 10:26 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryzz02016 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. Each year I am less and less interested in modern MLB. The micromanaging rule changes, disrespectful players, etc. I recently dumped all my modern crap and switched to pre-war. I'm never going back.
Yeah, back in the day we'd never have had a left-handed superstar pitcher punch an umpire after walking the first batter in a game.

Or a team going on strike to defend a teammate who beat up a fan.

Or a team conspiring to intentionally lose a championship.