View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I agree that it is a sign of sliding (I don't see the McDonald's thing happening since they aren't selling liquor or cigarettes).

Without getting into the debate too much (it isn't what I come to this site for) I will explain my side.

My thinking is when you talk about a sliding down you are talking about the logic that controls the actions of the people making the decision.

Every time someone says they SHOULD legalize it their arguments are one of two (or both):
1: It isn't worse than Alcohol or Tobacco
2: It will raise revenue by taxes and/or cutting down on law enforcement

So both arguments don't actually demonstrate how the actual element being legalized would be helpful to the persons in the society that use it. Yet it just talks about how society as a whole can benefit by those who don't have the willpower to stay away from it.

In the first argument, saying that it isn't worse is the wrong way to look at it. If you think things that are legal are worse than things not illegal, than maybe it would be better to look at making the legal things illegal not vice versa. Marijuana does have health concerns similar to those who smoke, it doesn't have the nicotine, but it has more tar production (http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.-Lya.htm).

The second case is just greed over acting logic. We could cut out law enforcement and increase tax if we legalized murder-for-hire also. Yes I know that is an extreme analogy, but it is just an analogy to point out the logic of the argument. If someone is caught with some they are still law breakers non the less. They knew the law, but decided to break it. So if people have a careless outlook on the law for this one subject that says a lot about their ideas of being above the law in other areas as well.

I am going to go back to looking at photos of cards now.

...side note: For those that say it is easy to obtain, it depends on the company you keep. I have no clue where to obtain any. I don't know anyone who openly has that information.

Maybe is actually says more about "The Law", then people who do, or do not, think they are above the law.

When it comes down to it, you can conceivably create a law based on any particular lawmakers or segment of the society's pet peeve. In some areas of the world, this is a very common occurrence, sometimes with harrowing consequences.

Sometimes, as they say......."The Law is an Ass".

Many laws are repealed on a regular basis, because they are no longer relevant with our present society...........and you can still google a large number of simply ridiculous laws that are still on the books in many states, but usually never enforced.

It's a constantly evolving thing. Has nothing to do with the sliding of society IMO.