View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 07:56 AM
M!ke S@il£r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Wow - I can't believe someone said this and that several other people seem to agree with it.

Does anyone remember the inaugural vote for the Baseball Hall of Fame? Yeah, the one where this Wagner character got the second most votes of any player in the entire history of baseball (and the same number of votes as Babe Ruth, who had recently finished rewriting the baseball record books).
I'm not saying that Wagner cards would all-of-a-sudden be selling for $100. If there were as many Wagner T206's available as Cobb T206's, there is no question Cobb is a bigger name to the general public and would sell at a higher level under the proposed scenario.

Honus Wagner simply wouldn't be a household name if it wasn't for the T206 media coverage. I believe Wagner would fall into this category similar category of a Matthewson or Johnson. My wife has heard of Cobb, but not Matthewson or Johnson. Not a large sample-size, but all I had available. I would speculate that a $1000 Wagner card at today's market would maybe sell for $700 if there were plenty of T206's available. Obviously this would change if his card was short-printed with certain sets.