View Single Post
Old 05-01-2022, 12:02 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
Good luck with that. I remember reading a post on BO where they outed something like 50 McDavid FWA's as being trimmed. Apparently they come big from the factory and guys were trimming these into 10s in bulk. Not exactly a cheap card either.

Suspect it would be incredibly easy to do the same with most young guns. In fact, you could probably invest in a modern cutter and trim your way to glory with modern hockey, the TPG's have not demonstrated any ability to spot micro trimming on modern cards.
It's actually not that difficult to tell, well, for me anyways. All I do is lay the modern card down on a flat surface and then I place a small flashlight next to it at a certain angle. In the next step, I use a loupe and study the edges and corners. Believe it or not, but I have BGS 9.5 cards with bits of corner wear and bits of chipping on the edges. In other words, they are not supposed to look flawless. And it's even easier to tell when you study the backs. The backs usually have a different design compared to the fronts, such as colored borders, colored corners, etc. Again, even pack pulled examples should have a bit of "whiteness" showing on the corners there. I stay the hell away from modern cards that look perfect because I don't believe they came out of packs looking perfect.