View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
I don't think Ortiz is obvious the way McGwire, Bonds and Sosa were. Ortiz was never cut... even as a young player, he was a bit plump. And he still looks the same as he did when playing. McGwire, Sosa, Bonds.... they physically changed and if you look at McGwire now, he looks like he shrunk. Bonds' hat sizes increased two sizes. That's not normal. Did Ortiz' stats improve from his time in Minnesota as a young player? Yes, but how much of that was maturation as a player and being given a chance to play full-time? He apparently tested positive for something, but who knows what it was? There were a lot of substances were on the list but were meaningless... and his numbers continued to improve after that test and more stringent testing was put into place. Meanwhile BALCO swirled around McGwire, Bonds and Sosa... I forget the deal with Clemens but didn't someone report that he was sticking needles in his butt (I could be confusing that with someone else)?

Clemens' old trainer accused him of cheating but there was no "proof". So, why is he guilty because a guy said so but others aren't? Ortiz failed a test in 2003. He then later claimed that when he finds out why he failed the test, he'd share the information publicly. But he of course never did that. Timing seems suspicious though, doesn't it? In 2003 Ortiz was more or less nobody. In 2004 he makes his first All Star team. Hmmmm......

Ivan Rodriguez though, to me, is the most obvious case. All you have to do is look at a photo of him in his Texas prime and compare it to the little guy who ended up on the Yankees later on.

Last edited by packs; 07-13-2021 at 02:00 PM.