View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 12:43 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanP View Post
SGC's retail value vs. PSA is terrible. When I buy an SGC card I expect to pay at least one grade lower than PSA. That is probably true with BGS and most definitely true with the new guys. I realize that's probably not true with some types of prewar cards that I no longer pay attention to.

I recently purchased an SGC card for a collection. I immediately took the card out of the slab. I could not believe how easy it was (even easier than PSA). I actually think I could have put a lesser graded card in there, sealed it back up without anyone knowing.

SGC is my least favorite slab. BGS was my favorite (nice looking, sturdy, almost impossible to bust open cleanly). However, I really believe the new guys are on to something with their design.

All that being said, SGC is the place to go along with PSA for pre-war. I don't expect any of the new companies to take any significant market share from them. So, you are correct, SGC will be around for a long time.

Thanks!
Are you getting this discount in modern? I do not collect modern so I do not know.

The premium is due to collectors willing to pay for a slab to put in registry. has nothing to do with stricter grading standards or any other mythology. I also notice that SGC cards do not sell as often and IMO the perceived PSA premium also includes a lag effect because the latest SGC sales price is not as up to date. I have not seen any discount at Heritage or REA on SGC slabs. There is so much talk around a pricing discount, but I have never been able to buy an SGC slabbed card for a discount. Perhaps this anomaly is most pronounced ultra-high valued cards? not a space I traffic in.

if anyone wants to sell me SGC 6-8s of Hall of Famers from the 50s-70s, I'll put out a standing offer to pay market rate of PSA-1 grade on new slabs. I won't hold my breath waiting for my inbox to explode.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236