View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 06:08 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Connie Mack's big mistake. Trading away Joe Jackson. Let's see some cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybuddyinc View Post
I don't have any cards to show, as Mack, Jackson, and Bris Lord are not T206s ....

But I have to agree with Ted's analysis that Mack thought Philly was to big and sophisticated for Jackson (and that may have been correct, even in the long run).

Now, I don't want to get into a "Philly Fight" with Ted, but I do want to mention two things .....

1 -- Harry Davis did go to Girard College. However, GC is actually a grade (1-12) preparatory school. It was founded in the 1820s as the second public school in America. It was founded for poor, orphaned males that showed promise in life. Davis' father died when he was 5, and his mother got him into GC, were he was an exceptional student and athlete. GC is still very active, and if you're ever in Phil. it's worth a visit, as it is a beautiful campus with great history.

2 -- As a Dickinson College alumni (1982), I wish I could say Bender went to DC. However he attended Carlisle Indian School, located in Carlisle PA, as is DC. Now Bender did take a few DC classes open to CIS students at the time, and he did pitch for DC on occasion. However, that was frowned upon, and he usually got suspended a game or two by CIS for doing so.

Also to add to list: Eddie Collins -- Columbia. Fun fact -- Collins clandestinely played for A's in 1906 as Eddie Sullivan, as he was still at Columbia , and that wouldn't have gone over to well in the Ivy's.

Always fun, Scott

Hi Scott

Very interesting stuff....thanks for chiming in here.

I often visit the nearby Philadelphia A's Historical Society. Twelve years ago, the guest speaker at their annual brunch was Connie Mack III.
He kept us mesmerized for 2 hours talking about his famous Grandfather. Afterwards, I had a chance to talk with him. A really friendly guy,
we talked for about 1/2 hour. We covered a lot of A's baseball (1901 - 1953). He signed my 1950 A's Golden Jubilee Program.

TED Z

T206 Reference