View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 05:49 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
Card alterations, whether as subtle as a good water soaking, or as aggressive as a professional repair, is really a thought provoking topic. We all have out tolerances and opinions - which sometimes are amusingly snobbish. Let me first say that I in no way condone any form of deceit in the hobby.
New to all/most of this but I always wondered to what extent/lengths a person would go to in order to make their card better that what it actually is/was?

Never heard of a "Good water soaking" before, and I don't really care if the info doesn't want to be shared as I have no plans to do anything with my 52 Topps collection my Father gave me as I am 99.9% sure these cards are untouched, and like you, I don't condone that type of behavior with anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantmorecards77 View Post
I once purchased an ungraded T213 Cobb Red Portrait from a major auctioneer. No mention of any alterations and it was a great looking card. While I would always only purchase major cards in SGC or PSA holders, I decided to go for it. Being relatively new to the vintage hobby at the time, it was a rookie mistake. Ended up losing almost $1,000 in the end - a tough pill to swallow.

PSA claimed it was altered and sent it back. I tried SGC and they called me to tell me it was trimmed and pressed. I decided to have it placed in an "A" holder.

I ended up selling it on eBay for less than half of what I paid for it - and disclosed all info on how I purchased it, what the auctioneer claimed, and the alterations SGC claimed it to have. It was quite the long item description. Haha

I was so frustrated with the situation, I just wanted to get rid of it. I believe a board member purchased it.
I'm sure trimmed and pressed is exactly the way it sounds, and I assume some get missed/passed when getting graded? I am also sure some of these "alterations" are done professionally but someone with some serious skill too?

Good for you, that wasn't easy to do I'm sure!

I have a lot of 52's and I have never ever thought about even cleaning them up for fear of doing something bad to them. Serious question, do most, when they pick up cards, clean, wipe or do anything else to them even if they are keeping them for themselves?

Last edited by irv; 04-05-2017 at 01:57 PM.