View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 09:10 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Very interesting read...just to clarify, what exactly did they counterfeit? was it real product, but they just made more than advertised (on the limited releases), or they literally forged cards? didn't fully understand that.
They did it twice, or at least that's how many times they got caught.

The first was canadian hockey- limited run, for a limited market. But then packs started showing up with a different assortment of cards. 620 original cases, 900+ cases printed for company insiders.

Then in 2007-8 "fake" rare yugio cards were turning up in retail boxes made by Treat. Looking into it Treat said they got them all through manufacturers, not from dealers. Which led directly back to UD. UD finally admitted reprinting heir own stuff to sell to Treat.

Both were mentioned in the article.

I suspect there were a few other instances. We'll probably never know for sure.

I always laugh when I hear the old "unlicensed cards are worthless because they can be reprinted at any time". Right, because a license is what makes it something that can't be reprinted Proven false, but still believed.

More interesting is the production number for -if I'm reading it right - 1990 of 3 Billion baseball cards. That makes for 3.75 Million of each.

Steve B