View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Steve Birmingham

This one's a puzzle. The hat looks wrong, even with scratches. The dark patch looks like it might be damage that got fixed at one time. And the top of the cap is raised a bit from what a normal one would look like.

But the other areas are interesting.
Mine has the same red on the hand, and a quick check of Ebay shows that some others have it too.
The card is in general overinked a bit on all the colors. The black of the eye farthest right shows solidly black, while mine has a defenite dot pattern and structure.
Mine also has the red on the face and ear. I think on most cards it's buried under the black while on this one it's printed a bit high and so it shows. The overinking really makes it stand out.
The red lines on the uniform do appear to be under the blue and black. I really wasn't expecting to see that. It's possible that if the marker was watercolor the ink wouldn't have stuck to the oil based ink.
The blue is overinked, some show that blue others don't. Mine has traces of it in a couple areas, none in others.

There's also one I saw scans of that has some light red in the same general areas of the uniform. It's part of someone's buy it now museum, so it may be there a while.

Better scans would really help, anything 600 or better, I prefer 800. At that level you can almost see the layers of ink as layers.

Steve B