Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   WaJo portrait (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=326886)

darwinbulldog 10-28-2022 09:40 AM

WaJo portrait

What the story with this card?https://www.ebay.com/itm/12558368739...Q&LH_Auction=1

HOF Auto Rookies 10-28-2022 09:48 AM

Wow...that sure is an interesting grade for that card...

JohnP0621 10-28-2022 09:57 AM

Wojo

Looks like someone along the way may have removed the PSA 3 Card and inserted this card.
Just my opinion.

John P

CardPadre 10-28-2022 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP0621 (Post 2278180)
Looks like someone along the way may have removed the PSA 3 Card and inserted this card.
Just my opinion.

John P

Oh, you can see on the PSA cert lookup that this is indeed the exact card they said was a 3.

Wanaselja 10-28-2022 10:15 AM

I was waiting for this thread to start. I can’t believe that card found it’s way to a 3.

Smarti5051 10-28-2022 10:16 AM

Must be a surface wrinkle we can't see in the photos that caused the low grade. Maybe you can post this card in the chunk thread and find a couple of the corners from another member.

Jcosta19 10-28-2022 10:42 AM

Cert is deactivated

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

CardPadre 10-28-2022 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcosta19 (Post 2278192)
Cert is deactivated

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

That's really strange, was actually up just a bit ago when I posted.

rand1com 10-28-2022 11:02 AM

Obviously, a con of some sort. The cert is indeed deactivated so if it was up shortly ago PSA likely got wind and deactivated it. It is obviously not a 3. Likely 1 or authentic is its best result.

mrreality68 10-28-2022 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rand1com (Post 2278195)
Obviously, a con of some sort. The cert is indeed deactivated so if it was up shortly ago PSA likely got wind and deactivated it. It is obviously not a 3. Likely 1 or authentic is its best result.

+1 agree the deactivation to me confirms it but the eye appeal obviously does not match the grade
It would be interesting to see what happens if it goes thru EBay authentication

Smarti5051 10-28-2022 12:12 PM

What is odd about the con theory is that the EXACT card in the Ebay auction was the same card PSA had on file for the PSA Cert this morning (before it was deactivated). So, it seems at some point PSA did slab that card with a PSA 3 grade. My guess is someone misread or mistyped the label, and the quality checker failed to notice the mistake. So, it was sent off to the customer.

Pat R 10-28-2022 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smarti5051 (Post 2278212)
What is odd about the con theory is that the EXACT card in the Ebay auction was the same card PSA had on file for the PSA Cert this morning (before it was deactivated). So, it seems at some point PSA did slab that card with a PSA 3 grade. My guess is someone misread or mistyped the label, and the quality checker failed to notice the mistake. So, it was sent off to the customer.

I think this is what happened if you look at the other T206's he has listed he has the cert numbers right before and after the Johnson.

Fred 10-28-2022 12:57 PM

If the TPGs had ANY hindsight in their business, they probably should have scanned the encapsulated F/B of cards to show the card which was "certified" when the card was slabbed.

Going forward, they may consider doing that because they can open up an entirely new hobby service for which they can charge hobbyist.

They create a new cert/label that has a symbol indicating the card not only has a cert number, but there's an associated photo with it.

Then they can charge people a nominal fee if they want to see a picture of the card on line. This way the TPG has the data base and nobody would be able to contest it. Dang, then someone would figure out a way to hack the database and put fake pictures in... it's the world we live in...

Pat R 10-28-2022 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2278227)
If the TPGs had ANY hindsight in their business, they probably should have scanned the encapsulated F/B of cards to show the card which was "certified" when the card was slabbed.

Going forward, they may consider doing that because they can open up an entirely new hobby service for which they can charge hobbyist.

They create a new cert/label that has a symbol indicating the card not only has a cert number, but there's an associated photo with it.

Then they can charge people a nominal fee if they want to see a picture of the card on line. This way the TPG has the data base and nobody would be able to contest it. Dang, then someone would figure out a way to hack the database and put fake pictures in... it's the world we live in...

They already do that now Fred, PSA only does front and back scans but SGC also puts the date the card was graded. Here's PSA scans of the Cobb that the seller has listed it's one cert number below the Johnson but once they deactivated the Johnson you can't see the scans of that card anymore.

https://www.psacard.com/cert/67343867

Fred 10-28-2022 01:11 PM

Pat,

Thank you. I didn't realize that this was being done. Do you know how long they've been doing it?

Pat R 10-28-2022 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 2278236)
Pat,

Thank you. I didn't realize that this was being done. Do you know how long they've been doing it?

Hi Fred,

I'm not sure how long they have been doing it but I know PSA has been doing it for several years with the more expensive cards.

rand1com 10-28-2022 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat R (Post 2278222)
I think this is what happened if you look at the other T206's he has listed he has the cert numbers right before and after the Johnson.

PSA must have found out about the card and made arrangements with the seller to make restitution to get if off the market since he has now ended the auction.

Mistakes happen but what does it say about their (2) quality checks after a card gets its grade and before it is shipped out? Three different people had to sign off on the grade.

Not much quality control in this instance.

brianp-beme 10-28-2022 02:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the T206 Johnson PSA3 portrait in question from the listing, before the images possibly get removed.

Brian

BobC 10-28-2022 02:37 PM

I wonder if the seller got upcharged on the grading fee?