Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PWCC Statement on Recent Card Trimming Concerns (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=269710)

Leon 06-04-2019 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1884717)
Oh here we go...i’m having flashbacks to reagans statements during the iran contra affair.

Infraction given for political comment. Please keep politics out of it.

ullmandds 06-04-2019 06:37 AM

So I suppose if I had stuck to denying that mass murders of children in schools never happened or that 911 was a conspiracy and it never happened I would not have received 3 minutes in the box?

Peter_Spaeth 06-04-2019 06:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1884722)
So I suppose if I had stuck to denying that mass murders of children in schools never happened or that 911 was a conspiracy and it never happened I would not have received 3 minutes in the box?

/

Gobucsmagic74 06-04-2019 07:40 AM

What happens to the Moser cards, and other altered cards, once they are uncovered and returned to PWCC (or PSA or whoever) for refund? Will they be destroyed? I mean its just an altered card, they're not forgeries or anything, and in some cases might be rare and still hold significant value, even as an altered card

jason.1969 06-04-2019 07:49 AM

For all the talk of legal vs illegal, the main takeaway for me from all of this is that I can't and won't trust anything in Brent's auctions ever again.

Jason Schwartz
Chicago, IL

joshuanip 06-04-2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 (Post 1884735)
What happens to the Moser cards, and other altered cards, once they are uncovered and returned to PWCC (or PSA or whoever) for refund? Will they be destroyed? I mean its just an altered card, they're not forgeries or anything, and in some cases might be rare and still hold significant value, even as an altered card

A bit altruistic, but I would hope it’s donated to a museum. Still eye candy at the end of the day. They could at least take a tax cut on the donation of their cost.

Peter_Spaeth 06-04-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuanip (Post 1884744)
A bit altruistic, but I would hope it’s donated to a museum. Still eye candy at the end of the day. They could at least take a tax cut on the donation of their cost.

I would hope they would use them to educate their graders.

Promethius88 06-04-2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

Maybe they should all be put in pedigree holders. "Moser/PWCC Scandal-2019". Actually might fetch a premium in years to come, lol. Just look at the PSA 8 Wagner and it's history. Just the story behind it is more than likely to attract more potential bidders and higher bids the next time it is up for sale.

vintagetoppsguy 06-04-2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

Good question. What if PSA makes good on these and labels them Authentic Altered? Does that really suffice? What's to keep someone from cracking it out and resubmitting it again hoping for a numerical grade? For those that believe PSA had no involvement, if it slipped by and they graded it once, what's to keep it from slipping by and getting graded again? That's of course if you really believe PSA is an innocent pawn in all this. I think they're part of the scam.

joshuanip 06-04-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1884750)
Good question. What if PSA makes good on these and labels them Authentic Altered? Does that really suffice? What's to keep someone from cracking it out and resubmitting it again hoping for a numerical grade? For those that believe PSA had no involvement, if it slipped by and they graded it once, what's to keep it from slipping by and getting graded again? That's of course if you really believe PSA is an innocent pawn in all this. I think they're part of the scam.

Given it’s a crisis of confidence, they should prevent cracking them for resubmission. Either donate or brand the cards.

jason.1969 06-04-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

We will see them at auction again and again, just with new holders.

calvindog 06-04-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Good question. What if PSA makes good ....

When have you ever seen PSA make good on anything? Especially their written guarantee?

vintagetoppsguy 06-04-2019 08:25 AM

For those that bought as pure investment, they might not want to give up those cards. It would be a break even. What's to keep them from holding onto the cards a couple years for this to all blow over and then turning a profit?

steve B 06-04-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1884747)
I would hope they would use them to educate their graders.

Yes, sort of like this
http://www.philatelicfoundation.org/...and-forgeries/

Peter_Spaeth 06-04-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1884764)
For those that bought as pure investment, they might not want to give up those cards. It would be a break even. What's to keep them from holding onto the cards a couple years for this to all blow over and then turning a profit?

It might blow over in a couple of weeks, knowing the history of this hobby.

Peter_Spaeth 06-04-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1884762)
When have you ever seen PSA make good on anything? Especially their written guarantee?

The reserve is based on prior experience so clearly they have bought back some volume of cards. But what we don't see is the volume of requests denied.

calvindog 06-04-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1884770)
The reserve is based on prior experience so clearly they have bought back some volume of cards. But what we don't see is the volume of requests denied.

They fight everyone to the death unless they are sued or have their arms twisted.

Peter_Spaeth 06-04-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1884774)
They fight everyone to the death unless they are sued or have their arms twisted.

Just fulfilling their duty to shareholders to maximize the bottom line.:D

jsanz 06-04-2019 08:56 AM

After reading all of this I have a concern that I have not seen anyone address. What happens if/when people stop trusting PSA as THE grading company? That is where everyone with a PSA slabbed card will take a hit. Lets just say even a small amount of people start second guessing PSA cards. That might be a few less bidders on your items or maybe your buy it now listing does not sell at the price you want. That is where the real damage can occur. Think about if the value of PSA slabbed cards just drops a little bit over this situation. That could be millions in lost value in small increments. This effect can go way beyond the altered cards in question.

ullmandds 06-04-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsanz (Post 1884788)
After reading all of this I have a concern that I have not seen anyone address. What happens if/when people stop trusting PSA as THE grading company? That is where everyone with a PSA slabbed card will take a hit. Lets just say even a small amount of people start second guessing PSA cards. That might be a few less bidders on your items or maybe your buy it now listing does not sell at the price you want. That is where the real damage can occur. Think about if the value of PSA slabbed cards just drops a little bit over this situation. That could be millions in lost value in small increments. This effect can go way beyond the altered cards in question.

you mean like now as far as not trusting PSA????? i think most on here...I know I have..... thought about this very scenario.

steve B 06-04-2019 08:58 AM

You haven't already stopped trusting PSA?

joshuanip 06-04-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Remember GAI? Exodus to SGC.

Peter_Spaeth 06-04-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuanip (Post 1884794)
Remember GAI? Exodus to SGC.

I thought Mike Baker was terrific, as good as they get. What happened there is really sad.

MULLINS5 06-04-2019 09:09 AM

PSA should regrade them "Authentic" and recoup whatever they can out of them through a sale. To avoid them coming back raw, they could scan each card and use as a reference. I know it's been discussed, for years, about using invisible ink of some kind on the card itself. Maybe now is the time to take that into serious consideration, again.

swarmee 06-04-2019 09:17 AM

The FDLE called me today to discuss my report. So you can be assured that law enforcement is looking into it.

Aquarian Sports Cards 06-04-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1884770)

It's all in the stock-holder statement. Guarantee returns were around 600k last year if I recall correctly. The figure has been increasing steadily and quickly the last few years.

vintagetoppsguy 06-04-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1884791)
You haven't already stopped trusting PSA?

Lol, right?

T206Collector 06-04-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason.1969 (Post 1884737)
[T]he main takeaway for me from all of this is that I can't and won't trust anything in Brent's auctions ever again.

Quote:

This effect can go way beyond the altered cards in question.

This goes way beyond a PWCC auction. These cards have been filtered into the community over the past decade. They're in all of our collections right now, and most of us may never know which ones are good or bad. Period.

BLongley 06-04-2019 10:09 AM

FBI checking out PWCC

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...postcount=1697

samosa4u 06-04-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking yesterday. Unless PSA makes changes, then these cards will DEFINITELY be graded again.

ullmandds 06-04-2019 10:31 AM

the cards need to be either destroyed or somehow given a scarlet letter on the card itself that cant be removed.

T206Collector 06-04-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLongley (Post 1884842)

Fortunately there's still a link at the top of this homepage to "consign now" if you want to get your cards "prepared" for the next PWCC auction. Hurry up, kids. It may be their last!

ullmandds 06-04-2019 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Collector (Post 1884862)
Fortunately there's still a link at the top of this homepage to "consign now" if you want to get your cards "prepared" for the next PWCC auction. Hurry up, kids. It may be their last!

based on what is coming to light these dsys it would not surprise me in the least if most high profile "dealers" auction house owners, etc are well aware of what is and has been going on and are somehow intermingled in it.

vintagetoppsguy 06-04-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1884860)
the cards need to be either destroyed or somehow given a scarlet letter on the card itself that cant be removed.

I think one of the modern card companies should purchase them, cut them up and make relic card inserts for their 2020 products. :D

Those that could never afford a green Cobb could then own a piece of one.

tschock 06-04-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1884867)
i think one of the modern card companies should purchase them, cut them up and make relic card inserts for their 2020 products. :d

those that could never afford a green cobb could then own a piece of one.

shhhhhh!!!! (lol)

Aquarian Sports Cards 06-04-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

I think one of the modern card companies should purchase them, cut them up and make relic card inserts for their 2020 products. :D

Actually that's one of the most interesting ideas you've had. If they're altered anyway it bothers me a lot less than cutting up a Ruth or Gehrig bat or something.

chalupacollects 06-04-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Maybe they can create a holder that will destroy the card if someone tries to crack it open...actually if they are to survive a return to PSA, Beckett or whoever would probably be for the best...

Fuddjcal 06-04-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1884722)

5 minutes for fighting.

We know that you meant Masto & Allen and not the political analogy:)

Fuddjcal 06-04-2019 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLongley (Post 1884842)

That's a good place to start. Sportscard Radio lays the scheme out perfectly.

Especially Brent Mastro's relationships with Steven "InstaTrimmer" Tormollan, Gary "Scissorhands" Moser and Robert "Fat Kid on the" Block.

joshuanip 06-04-2019 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy (Post 1884764)

That's the problem, once this thing cools off, the cards get redistributed back into the marketplace over time. Easier to spot now with the heat on. I hope one of the culpable parties is forced, by law or tort, to take these cards out of circulation now before they become harder to find.

swarmee 06-04-2019 11:28 AM

http://www.sportscardradio.com/alert...by-psa-or-bgs/
Cardboard carnage. Just keep scrolling.

drcy 06-04-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MULLINS5 (Post 1884797)
PSA should regrade them "Authentic" and recoup whatever they can out of them through a sale. To avoid them coming back raw, they could scan each card and use as a reference. I know it's been discussed, for years, about using invisible ink of some kind on the card itself. Maybe now is the time to take that into serious consideration, again.

If there's a seizure and court case, I assume they would be marked in some way. The PSA/DNA synthetic DNA would be good.

swarmee 06-04-2019 11:30 AM

Then they'd be sold raw.

vintagetoppsguy 06-04-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1884884)
Then they'd be sold raw.

When all the fake Rose RCs were discovered ('86?), weren't those allowed to be sold, but first all marked counterfeit?

ullmandds 06-04-2019 11:44 AM

Quote:

thats actually a great idea!

tschock 06-04-2019 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chalupacollects (Post 1884875)
Maybe they can create a holder that will destroy the card if someone tries to crack it open

This whole alteration scenario is playing out like a '60s TV show. ".... Should you or any of your team members be caught, PSA will disavow any knowledge of your involvement. This holder will self destruct in 10 seconds" cue music...

swarmee 06-04-2019 11:58 AM

There is absolutely no discussion on the PSA message board.

perezfan 06-04-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1884881)
http://www.sportscardradio.com/alert...by-psa-or-bgs/
Cardboard carnage. Just keep scrolling.

Good reporting.... and the VAST majority are PSA. :eek:

brianp-beme 06-04-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1884860)

Maybe if we can get Brent involved he can devise a sticker for high-end altered cards.

BrianP(arker)-beme

ullmandds 06-04-2019 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1884897)
Maybe if we can get Brent involved he can devise a sticker for high-end altered cards.

BrianP(arker)-beme

pass!!!!!