NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Default Opinions on E98 Bender with stamp back

Posted By: Mark T

I just received this E98 Bender. I have been looking at the back stamp with an eye-loop. As you can see, under the paper loss there is faint ink left over from the stamp. My question is...can it be possible that the stamp was on before the name printing? I don't see any ink left from players names under the paper loss.

I know Scott E. has a cigar stamp that Kevin S. has checked out. I thought i did see a stamp like this a few years ago but can't remember.

Thanks

[linked image]?t=1229715738

[linked image]?t=1229716471

Old 12-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

my guess is the stamp penetrated thru the layers of paper.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Saucier

Hi Mark,

After carefully studying the United Cigar stamp, I decided to do some experimenting to justify my findings.

In one, I stamped the back of a T206 scrap twice with my name (only stamp I had). One side was put on over paper loss as seen on top and the other was stamped over the print and then I removed a thin layer of paper after, bottom side. The results and ink saturation were completely different from the Cigar print (please let's not beat that dead horse again). Look for the Kevin stamped T206 on the BST soon wink.gif

[linked image]

Just from your pic, it would seem like the card was first stamped over the print and then the paper loss occurred. At least you know it was paid for.

Kevin Saucier

------------------------------

www.AlteredCards.com - in-depth education on advanced card doctoring techniques & detection with detailed examples

Old 12-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

First let me say, thanks Mark for posting this. Brian McQueen and I have talked about the E98s with "PAID" stamps in the past and though not terribly revealing or important I do think they're interesting. I've had a couple of them that I've since sold off.

As far as I know they all come from the same group of E98s that are all green (if I remember correctly). They all show that same discoloration which is probably from water damage.

If anything I think they are interesting due to the anonymous nature of the E98 set which suggests that they could've been stamped and given out with a product or when someone paid admission for something. Of course, we have no proof, but there's no proof against the idea either. The fact that they're all the same color supports that the group originated out of one location and/or product.

Now why folks are interested in whether or not a stamp was placed on a card before printing is beyond me. It's silly and doesn't make any sense.

It's hard to picture any scenario where someone stamps "PAID" on the card and then it's sent back to the factory and printed.

Or are we saying that it was stamped "PAID" at the factory? Can't imagine any reason for that.

Rob

Old 12-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Let's not forget some kid at his dad's desk using his dad's ledger stamp stamping everything in sight including his cards...as an option.

Almost picture Dad coming and yelling "Hey junior I've told you a dozen times that's not a toy".....

Old 12-19-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

oh geeez.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Right John. I knew that was coming.

But again, all I've seen with this stamp are the same color. With this issue that's more significant to me than one T206 card with someone's name stamped on it.

Rob

Old 12-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

That is a very interesting and insightful story.

Kevin...thanks, very interesting.

Another quick point...is it an optical illusion that the lettering looks on top of ink stamp. Is the eye/brain getting fooled?

[linked image]?t=1229721906

Old 12-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

That Bender is outstanding! I'll offer $150,000 for it -- and three especially sexy chickens.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Jeff,

You're always so positive and insightful!

Rob

Old 12-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Thanks, Rob, I'm glad I made you happy.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Are we sure it's not an underprint? They are prevelent nowadays...

Old 12-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J.McMurry

"Say, Ah Say, did someone mention sexy chickens?!?"
[linked image]