NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Default HOF First Cards - An Ignominious Example

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

I picked up the following card relatively recently that may very well set the record for the most mistakes on a first card (or "Rookie Card") of any Hall of Famer. It is a 1931-32 Exhibit 4-on-1 featuring the first recorded portrayal of Richard "Dick" Ferrell. The card not only does the future Hall of Famer disjustice by spelling his name wrong as "Ferrel", but then it doesn't even picture the right Ferrell, as the picture is that of Eddie Farrell (same picture as his 1926 Exhibit). Just thought it was interesting bit of information on a seldom seen card (the 1931-32 Exhibit 4-on-1's are pretty tough compared to some of the other Exhibit 4-on-1 sets, arguably the toughest).
-Rhett

Old 01-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Hey Rhett,I dont like pointing out spelling mistakes but I thought it was funny that you used ignominious,which is a five star word,correctly and spelled it right but then you come out of left field(baseball reference) with disjustice which i guess is a combo of disservice and injustice

BTW,Nice card which I've never seen before

Old 01-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

John, I don't let words get in my way, I make them up all the time. Honestly, if you want to say both disservice and injustice but in only one word--there you go... disjustice.
-Rhett

Old 01-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Administrator

You might start a trend if you keep at it. Maybe we can start an entire thread of cards that do players a disjustice, for example the e92 Frank Chance which just shows him from behind had to have been disappointing to any kid collecting cards of his favorite player.It was a real disjustice to me that no Pirates made the t204 set because for type cards I like to get a Pirates card from each set.Now Im stuck with a Tom Reilly card for my t204 type just because I go for obscurity if I cant get a Pirates player

Old 01-06-2008, 05:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I agree John. The T204 set is one of my favorites and the lack of Pirates (I am also a Pirate type collector) is disappointing.

Are you going to the game today? I have tickets but it looks as if I will be getting drenched.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Im guessing you mean the Steelers game and that would be a no. I dont even watch football on tv,so forget about paying to go to a game. Im only a Pirates fan but a ton of people see the Pirates gear and assume Im a Steelers fan too.I also live at the Jersey shore so Im not even close enough to go to the game even if I for some reason wanted to. I will be in Pittsburgh at least twice this year but probably more for some Pirates games tho. Hopefully they dont do me a disjustice and actually show up when i attend one of their games

this is my signature

Old 01-06-2008, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

They reused the image and changed the label.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 01-06-2008, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

John,

I am big Pirates fan as well as the Steelers although I must admit that football is my first love. I am going to the Steelers game today. This will be my father's and my 18th trip to see the Steelers and our 8th playoff game.

PNC is an awesome place to watch baseball. My wife enjoys those games and we go when we can although it has been two seasons since we attended a game. I had a lot of hope in '03. After the Memorial Day series with the Cubs and Machoviak's walk-off HR in seemed like they were set to make a run. Not to be.

Back to the thread. The Colgan's McCarthy example would apply (as most would agree that it probably not McCarthy pictured). I don't have time to check but if any HOFers first card was an E91 that would be a shame as well.