NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Default T 205 border color

Posted By: Rich S

Were all T205s borders gold or were there variations ? I am trying to ID this disaster of a Wiltse card.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I've seen this same thing on other T205s, but always with very heavy wear. The gold ink had actual metal in it (not gold--from the way it tarnishes I'd guess something copper, zinc or tin based). A small T205 find I was in on a few years ago had very bright borders, much brighter than the typical cards. They'd been sitting in a box for 90+ years without light or handling to fade them. When the cards get really worn, they sometimes seem to take on a dull greenish appearance.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 12-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

There are legit green border variations in decent shape, I will try to post one later.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

There was a whole stack of green border variations at auction recently, if I remember.

-Al

Old 12-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The T205 metal has usually tarnished over the years, and in differing degrees and ways. So there will be legitimate variations in color and tone (darkness). As with the famously green Statue of Liberty, the T205 metal can have a bit of green to it. You'll also find old pennies that have turned green, and both the Statue of Liberty and pennies are made with copper.

If you find an original antique card or cabinet card with gold-colored metal that has remained as bright and shinny as new, it's probably genuine gold. People have long been enamored with gold in part because it tends not to tarnish. Some 1800s cabinet card mounts used real gold, and I believe one of the non-sport 1880s Allen & Ginter has gold touches.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: judson hamlin

Are the green borders a true (intentional) variation, or were they produced by an error in the process (like a missing color pass)?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

These are not really variations but one of two things that I feel happened. The first is that many of the green borders seem to occur on the Hassan fact. 30 backed cards and Piedmont cards. I think that the print run on these may have used a higher copper content and tend to tarnish or turn green quicker. I have a couple of cards with very green borders incl. a Tinker and a Huggins.

I also feel that exposure to moisture or humid conditions often turns the borders from bight gold to a greenish gold tint. Again, caused by the copper content in the gilding.

I think someone (Ted?) has talked about this a little in his talk about the printing process and gilding process.

Joshua

Old 12-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

It's possible that different metal content was used during the print run, which may cause variations. More copper would mean better chance of turning green.

I think the variations are mostly caused by the tarnishing of the metal, and the green tint or very dark metal isn't the way it originally looked. I assume the borders originally resembled a new penny. 1909 pennies don't look new pennies anymore.