NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Default You thought you found a goldmine, only to find out you had not

Posted By: Mike Peich

Leon's experience today with the large collection of 70s to 90s cards, and Barry's comment about the Mantle signature, made me think: What cards/memorabilia had I been told about that got me excited, only to find the goldmine was non-existent?

A friend of mine recently told me about a signed 1950 Phillies ball that his aunt owned and was thinking of selling. According to the aunt, when his uncle was little, he caught a foul-ball hit by Rich Ashburn. After the game Ashburn signed the ball, liked the little kid, and took it to the locker-room for the entire team to sign it. My friend asked if I might be interested in having the ball for my collection, depending on what I thought it was worth. Damn right, I thought.

When he showed me the ball it was indeed signed by the team. But Whitey must have used an old mimeograph machine to copy everyone's signature since it was a facsimile signed ball. So much for truth in advertising.

What about the rest of you?

Cheers, Mike

Old 09-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shanon Ping

about 6 years ago a friend (who put together a near complete T205 set) and I went and looked at a guys collection of Cracker Jack cards. He had some big names and they even were stained and everything, however once I held one I knew they were fakes. I told him and he gave me the old "found in Grandpa's attic" story. Oh well, the search continues.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Silver King

While back in St. Louis on business this past summer I expanded my search of old baseball cards, specifically looking for 1880's items. A guy emailed me that he had several hundred cards and needed money and would let the entire collection go for cheap. I thought it was too good to be true and asked what cards he had and he said he didn't know until he got his old boxes out of the attic. Not wanting to lose the sale I didn't press too hard but the guy emailed me back and rattled off some cards. I quickly realized he had 1980's cards, not 1880's cards. When I told him I was looking for cards 100 years older he told me thought I made a typo in my email to him.