NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Default Books or Magazines That List Top 100 or So

Posted By: peter chao

They come out periodically, we get books that list the top 100 baseball cards of all-time or the Joe Orlando book that listed the Top 200 Sportscards. Which book or magazine has influenced your collecting habits.

For me it was the Kiefer and Green book of the Top 100 Baseball Cards. I liked the fact that it wasn't all about money back then. By the way, there wasn't a single PSA graded card on the list. Some cards were mentioned just because they were interesting. The book had a good mix of old stuff and new stuff. Let me know of different books and magazine lists. Especially lists with the focus on pre-war stuff.

If you would like, you can mention how these lists have influenced your collecting habits.

Peter

Old 07-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

For me, it was the 1989 Eighth edition of Macmillan's Encyclopedia, because my collection is based solely upon baseball achievements and the selection of cards which commemorate each.

But I've got to admit that the internet has been a big help too.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Gil,

That's excellent. How about Collectionmonster.com, they were going to come out with a new list of Top 100, did it ever Happen?

Peter C.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Guys,

Another book that helped me develope my collecting tastes was Baseball's Top 500 by Krause Publications published in 1999. The book was timely because it was celebrating a 100 years of baseball. It was more than a list of 500 cards, it was a checklist of 500 great baseball stars.

Almost every hall of famer was checklisted. The remaining players were mostly on the cusp of being in the Hall. Included checklists of both Joe Jackson and Hal Chase. There was also checklists of some contemporary stars. The listed cards also had prices to them, but they have been quickly outdated.

But in addition to the checklists, there were also short biographies of the players and their stats. I consider this book important for the beginning vintage collector. At least I considered it important enough to purchase two books. The first book I used the checklists the way they were intended and marked up the boxes next to the cards.

The second book I kept in near mint condition just because...

Peter C.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Near the turn of the millineum Beckett's also came out with a thin book entitled 300 Great Baseball Cards. This book covered cards from Allen and Ginter to memorabilia cards.

Peter C.