NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Default Old Card Board home Run !!

Posted By: Mike

Another fantastic Old cardboard edition. I am heading out of town to meet my wife at our lake home. Now I have something to read. Yeah!!! The article on the C46's looks great. I own one, and it's the Chick Gandil. Which the O. Cardboard folks so proudly show on page 1 of the article. He sure looks like a sweet guy doesn't he ???

Old 07-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Another great job by Lyman and Bret. I loved the article about the W555 box in the editors notes, very interesting.

Congratulations to Bret and his Rookie of the Year!!!!!

Lee

Old 07-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

I thought it was nice to acknowledge David McDonald for helping out Tbob.

David's one of the nicest guys I've met and basically went way out of his way to help me complete my D304 set.

Thanks again David!

Rob

Old 07-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I got my issue today and I agree David's gesture is unprecedented!!

Old 07-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I was going to post that article (with Lyman's permission of course) as the poster child for what I feel this hobby is about. It's about a lot more than the cards.....I am so looking forward to the Net54 Dinner too as I can carouse with a lot of my hobby friends.....Kudos to David .....and to Tbob for writing about it..That was my fave article in the whole magazine, although there were many other good ones too......warm regards

Old 07-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

David's act was unbelievable and I am glad Lyman and Brett printed my letter. I also want to mention one other generous act of kindness which occurred about 5-6 years ago when a collector named Al Marr, whom I had never met, sent me an E94 Frank Chance out of the blue, knowing that I was working on the master set. He simply wanted me to have it, "one collector to another." When I recently watched the Lionel Carter DVD and listened to Lionel talking about the way it was in the day with collectors, I recalled both these acts of kindness. That is what the hobby is all about to me. There have been other collectors who have sent cards or shown their kindness in some way, more than can be mentioned. If anyone ever gets too grizzled, or too frosty or too chapped about the hobby, it's nice to take a deep breath and reflect on how many super guys and gals (can't leave out JoAnn) share our passion.
tbob

Old 07-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Kudos to David, congrats to tbob, and bravo to Brett and Lyman. They have done everything right from the inception of the magazine and avoided the pitfalls that some others have made. Another great issue.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

just got my copy, the article about the W555 was amazing, great vintage piece. There are still many unanswered questions in the hobby, nice to have a resource like Old Cardboard and Auctions like Mastro's to keep us interested

Jimmy

Old 07-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

In a recent Lipsett auction, I noted that a group of differently colored Hartnett Exhibit cards brought an attractive price. There were a dozen or so cards in that group, and I thought to myself that the group sold for a value greater than its break factor would suggest. It is always heartening to me to encounter incidences where a premium is associated with a completed set. And while a compilation of exhibit cards depicting the same player, in different colors, is not what is typically termed a set; it can be considered as such.

In reading Adam Warshaw's article on this set, I note that a dozen or more differently colored cards are associated with plenty of players. Complimenting this, for twelve of the standard w-517 set cards, identical poses are available. That is, the w-517s poses match the exhibits exactly, adding the multiple color variations of that set into the mix. So, the overall variations become perhaps a couple of dozen or more different color representations of the same card in two sizes (the exhibits are bigger than the w-517s).

As shown on pg. 32 of this OC issue, there is also the possibility of adding the w-517 minis into this mix. This will yield a greater variety in colors for an individual (identical) pose - in now three different sizes. Although the article does not specify which players can be included in such a representation, I believe that current awareness indicates that these players are: Cochrane (umm maybe), Gehrig, Grove, Miller, O'Doul, Vance and Waner.

This could be a very interesting presentation, but the minis are a bit hard to come by, as are some color varieties for all sets. Be sure to check out the Exhibit color variances (which are not complete) on pg. 33 of this magazine. The w-517s colors are typically more earth tone, while the minis go in both directions.

All the same image, three different sizes, many, many colors. Could make for an eye opener with your tea.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam

I received my copy yesterday and just finished reading it. Good issue.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Bob, I echo your sentiments about David, a first-class guy. Also, congrats to Brett for the birth of his daughter.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Yes, indeed, a super issue.
Very pleased to see collegiality and camaraderie placed above all else Bob
M. and David M. .

all the best,

Barry

Old 07-09-2007, 05:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

Guess I have to step out and take a bow. Lyman H. gave me a heads-up about the OC Collector's Dugout sidebar article but I still blushed when I read it (and I blushed some more when I read the gracious comments in this thread from guys for whom I have great respect. Thank you). In case anyone is interested in the backstory, following is the brief saga of McDonald, Marquette and Smokey Joe as related in my reply to Lyman. (Forgive me, Moderator Dude, for violating the post-no-emails ordinance. Hope you'll let it slide this once).

Dear Lyman,
Thank you for your note. Here is a little background on my "Good Deed". Hope you don't make too big a fuss over it. The people who are doing "Great Deeds" in The Hobby are those such as you and Brett in producing a wonderful magazine and Leon for doing riot control at Net 54 and numerous collectors such as Keith O'Leary, Rob Adesso and, yes, Bob Marquette, to name but a few, who generously share knowledge of vintage baseball cards and passion for collecting them.
Back about three years ago (and a few months before I discovered the N54 board), I won a beautiful autographed M116 Joe Wood with a last second eBay snipe. Turned out that TBob was the underbidder. Once I began to participate on the board I saw what a good guy Bob is and I always felt bad that my win was his loss. I picked up another Sporting Life Wood in an auction some months back and was keeping it for trade bait. But when I saw Bob's profile in your Collector's Dugout and learned that it was the only card he needed to make the set, I thought "What the Heck!" and sent it to him with my best wishes. Now he's got the set; can't be too many guys who can say that. It's an awesome accomplishment for Bob. I am happy I could help with that last tough card. I got a nice letter from him saying how getting the card from out of the blue made his day and such. Fact is, it made my day, too.
Unquote

Collecting vintage cards brings me great pleasure, and learning about all the aspects of collecting as well as about old-time baseball in general fascinates me. (And you can't beat this hobby if you're after a second childhood). Above all, I enjoy being part of the cast of characters of Net54 and I value the friendship both virtual and realtime. Still sometimes I feel like I have to adopt the mentality of a commodities broker in order to go with the flow, although that is definitely not my style. Some people might think I am a chump for giving away a hot card but I feel pretty friggin good about it.

OK, everybody. Group hug's over. There's a ruckus brewing over at Broken Grading System and it might be a good one.