NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Default Looking for a career change?

Posted By: Steve f

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=578823

Old 04-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

Would require that one relocate. I've been contacted in the past about positions with PSA, MastroNet and Heritage. Only Heritage would have been willing to allow me to work from my home address.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I'm in. Where do I send my resume? And can I make up the inevitable paycut by regrading all of my own cards first?

Old 04-04-2007, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

i assume that's the position with a nice hourly rate and 'all the cards you can steal'.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Jeff, LMAO very funny!

Old 04-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

With my near retirement from the US Navy, I can jump right in, although all those years of looking through binaculars has affected my eyesite and my hands tend to shake a bit more due to all that Botswain Mate coffee I have consumed, it sounds perfect to me.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Dan, Sounds like your more qualified to be an MLB ump. FTN

Old 04-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

This joke isn't really funny, so you can skip it if you would like.

But I keep thinking about a new grading company on a low budget about the kind of guy they would hire.

Now picture them hiring an 60 year old man with extremely bad arthritis in his hands handling your cards. He's picking up your cards with his hands and then dropping them, then he tries picking them up with tweezers and the tweezers go through the card...not a pretty picture.

Peter

Old 04-05-2007, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

How about a guy who is eating his KFC lunch with no napkins and grading your cards? lol

Old 04-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

Man, just when I thought it couldn't get worse, my shaking hands and poor eyesite are comparable to 60. Yikes, look out VA here I come.

Nah, all kidding aside, this type of job would be tremendously difficult if I were to guess and my hat is off to whomever would seek it. < brown nosing you so if you see my submissions, you will look upon me favorably!

Old 04-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Sinced the subject is grading companies, I can't resist passing this along:

I was waiting in line at a specialty stand at the Reds opener Monday to buy a beer for a friend of mine who prefers the microbrews as opposed to the Buds and Bud Lights. No problem. So I get to the front of the line and ask for a Great Lakes something or other (can you tell I'm not a beer drinker?). The vendor tells me he can't sell me any kind of beer except Bud Light because the plastic cups for the premium beers are locked up in a cabinet and he doesn't have the key.

I know what you're thinking, and that's what I said: "Can't you just put the Great Lakes beer in the Bud Light cup?" I asked.

No way, I was told. Bud Light or nothing.

How does this relate to a thread about a grading service?

Because I wanted to scream to the guy, "I'm buying the beer, not the holder!"

Old 04-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Rob,

Following up on your story...if you had said it's the beer and not the holder...the manager would have come out from the back and then put your head underneath the Great Lakes beer tap and start making you chug the beer.

Actually it sounds like fun.

Peter

Old 04-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob C

OK here’s one along the same theme. I took my twins to one of those local fairs put on by the Rotary, Elks, KOC or whatever and I bought our ride tickets at the entrance like everyone else.
Fast forward to the line at the tilt-a-wheel. As we approach the ticket taker I notice some two-fer coupons in a box on her counter. Having twins I am thinking this is a good thing and I need to get some of these! So I ask the young lady “Where do you get those?” pointing at the two-fer’s. She paused for what seemed to be an indeterminately long time and replied in an uncertain drawl: “Uh, people give them to me.” Oh the horror.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Making matters worse: She was operating heavy machinery.