NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Default Pickles Dillhoefer

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Today I picked up a strip card of a guy named Pickles Dillhoefer. After deciding that this guy quite possibly has the best name ever, I decided I was to become a Pickles fan. So, in doing some quick research, I discovered that poor Pickles died in 1922 from typhoid fever following an operation (he was only 26). So, my question for the board... what cards / memorabilia is out there for good ole Pickles?

Old 10-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

You got it as far as I know. w514.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Good 'ole Pickles was supposed to be one of the best up and coming catchers of his time prior to his death. These two items came directly from his estate. He is a pretty forgotten about player today, mainly because his career spanned the years with very few card sets. Also, I agree about his nickname being one of the best ever.

-Rhett

Old 10-09-2006, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

my database show just the w514 for him

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Thanks guys!

Old 10-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I was fortunate enough to buy the entire Pickles Dillhoefer collection last year. He is a truly tragic figure in American Sports and I hope you guys enjoy the picture and I am happy he is getting at least some press on this forum. I have some other cancelled checks (a few) but they are insignificant in content so I will not post them. The highlights are scanned here for you. Included in the photos are as follows:

His original Visa to play ball in Mexico with the All-American baseball team from 1920. This has his signature, phot and fingerprint on it along with him listing Branch Rickey as his agent while in the country.

Original 1920 All-American team photo pictured with Hornsby and others. Pickles in third from the right making a funny face.

The original obituary that his wife of only a few months kept of him. She never remarried and lived a life alone still in love with Pickles until the 1990's I believe.

An poignant letter mailed by the Cardinals 3 days before he died and postmarked to the hospital where he would die (mailed to "John" Dillhoefer for some reason). I believe he got this letter the day he died, but it is possible he never got it at all. It says in part, "I do hope you will come back strong as you know we will need you bad this summer so take it easy and good luck."

Original Photo of Pickles in his WW1 uniform

His original Golf Club membership which is signed

A check which he wrote as a Christmas present to his mother on the last Christmas he was alive.

A weird check that he wrote to Jack Fournier who was his close friend, only months before his death for a whopping $500. Big money in those days and I think he bought Jack's small house after he got married and that this check was either the downpayment or the full price.

ENJOY THE PICTURES JON AND EVERYBODY