NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Default T204 Ramly question

Posted By: Bryan Long

I am curious to hear of how many collectors are there in the forum that collect these cards. Everything that I have read about them is that they are not widely collected because it is such a large set - but that doesn't make much sense to me. Are there certain cards that impossible to find? Is it the size of the cards (not being the typical small tobacco or caramel issue size)? I understand that the Johnson rookie would be a toughy to get because of price and I really don't look at the square bordered cards as being a part of the set - just really a subset. That is, of course, unless S. B. wants to sell me his square bordered subset So what is it? I think the cards are probably the most attractive cards that exist due to the gold borders and the great portrait pictures.
Are tons of people collecting these cards and just not telling anyone? I'm curious to hear the responses of veteran collectors as to their thoughts on this wonderful set. I also a few people that read this forum have the set complete - I hope to be one of them even though I have just begun to really collect the set hardcore.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

They are fairly tough cards to find. I owned a few type cards in the 80s and that was it. I probably saw e90-1s more often than t204s and you didn't see a whole of caramel cards in the 80s either.

Jay

I like to sit outside, drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home, I would be arrested. So, I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Bryan,
I started to collect them and immediately received threatening emails/phone calls from other network 54 members.

I have since returned the cards to the ramlians.

Robert

Old 04-15-2006, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

It is a beautiful set and I have owned a few over the years, but I think the reason they are not as widely collected by set collectors is that it is missing a lot of the big name HOFs from the era. No Matty, no Cobb, no Wagner.
JimB

Old 04-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

I have only two Ramly's. Ciccote and Jimmie Collins. Both graded a two. The cicotte in my opinion should have been a three, but hey, what do I know. It is a very very nice 2. I thought about collecting them, but I pursue one player, and he is not in the set. So that takes care of that, beautiful cards yes indeed. One of the nicest. very hards to find in a 5 and up, due to the gold leaf border chipping. They are composed of two sheets of paper that were glued together in the manufacturing process. Sometimes that glue comes loose, and then you have a seperated back and front. I have seen this several times. One card would have graded a 4, if the front and back had stayed together.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

But to tell you the truth that is the reason why I am collecting them more because I know that I can collect a great looking set without being forced to throw a ton of cash into a bunch of cards. The ramly set is filled with only 15 HOFers I think and really only two of them will cost me a bunch od cash to get (Johnson and Burkett). The others are not very pricey, just hard to find. I know Bill Cornell has a nice start on a set. What do you think Bill? I saw a plank awhile back on ebay that I should have bought, and regret not doing so.
Maybe the more hard core HOF collectors don't collect the set for that reason Jim, but what about those guys like me that love the set and are drawn to it for the very reason that some may not like it.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I'm also interested in these cards from the type standpoint. Never have owned one and have rarely seen an example. Is this this first embossed set? If anyone has one for $100 let me know

Old 04-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

"I really don't look at the square bordered cards as being a part of the set - just really a subset"

I thought all T206 Ramly's were square-shaped and looked the same. What am I missing?

Old 04-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

Bryan - I have collected Ramlys for about 20 years and have a high grade set for Ramlys. Scott Brockelman also collects them and has a high grade set. Both of us have the 6 square bordered cards and collect TTT backs. I don't think that any cards in the base set of 121 cards are rarer than others, although they are all quite rare. The 6 square bordered cards and the 55 or so cards that have TTT backs are all much rarer than the other Ramlys. I think there are only 5 to 10 of each of these cards and maybe 50 to 100 of the Ramlys. Burried in the set registry thread I have some comments on my Ramly collecting and there was a TTT thread some time ago that you could search.

Old 04-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Ford

I collect all things Cardinals including vintage. I have 5 of the 7 St. Louis (National League) players in the set. I have Byrnes, Beebe, Sallee, Lush and Konetchy. I need Reilly and Bresnahan. I have been outbid on the Bresnahan card several times and don't believe I've ever seen a Reilly for sale or auction.