NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Default Cracker Jack Cards Authentic?

Posted By: bellaluca

I have been commissioned to sell some Cracker Jack Baseball CArds and want to make sure they are authentic. Any ideas on how to authenticate? Thanks for any help!

Old 11-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert {Bigb13}

Looks good to me. Email me if you can a list of what you have to sell. Rob {Bigb13}  

Old 11-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Don J

Card is fake. Text on front is much too dark. Card texture is wrong.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

if real, it will be slabbed.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

definitely fake.

Old 11-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Don J

You can submit to SGC if you like - but you'd be wasting your money in this case. Fake CJ's are pretty easy to spot for the reasons I already indicated.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Borders are a mess.

Why hello, Ben!

Old 11-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Bellaluca: the way to authenticate the cards which you have on consignment is to send one of them into a grading service for grading and authentication.

If the response is favorable then you can evaluate the advisability of having the service encapsulate the more expensive ones. If the response is not favorable, then perhaps your client can provide some insight on how to proceed.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

I recall another person posting on here that CJ cards are made of very thin stock.
How thick/thin are the cards in your possession?

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 11-10-2005, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: zach

Cards a fake....Cracker Jacks are on pretty thin stock though. I own two and was very uprised when I took one out of the toploader at how flimsy it was. I was almost sure they were gonna be like Goudeys but nope.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

Or if you want to get an assessment yourself check out the following characteristics:

CJs are not glossy at all. The surface is flat and textured - almost soft.

The toning on your card looks good on the back, but less good on the front. Specifically: see if you can figure why the borders look blotchy and there appears to be a burn mark near the Y in york - extending almost to the players neck.

Verify that the card meets Zach's flimsiness criteria.

The ballplayer's face on CJs are typically well done. Although I am not familiar with this players card, his face looks quite red. Why is that?

Old 11-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

the easiest way to tell if a CJ is fake is by the white in the picture. It should be exactly the same as the boarders because no white ink was used. You can tell on the card that you posted that while ink was used to produced the uniform area. There should never be a sharp distinction between boarders and the uniform. The big tip, if you have the card in hand is the very flimsy stock, About as thick as writing paper.

Jay

If you can sue a band for making you want to commit suicide, can I sue Barry Manilow for turning me into a wuss in the 70s?

Old 11-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Looks fake to me. One other sure way of detecting a fake CJ is that on the 1915s, the back should be upside down. You did not mention that you flipped the card around for the scan, so am assuming the back is incorrect. I agree with all the others with their reasons for thinking it is fake too. And it just looks like one of those amature jobs where the person puts a light flame around the edges for the appearance of aging.
JimB

Old 11-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bellaluca

Hi guys....thanks for all the input! The cards are of a thicker stock (not notebook paper weight)also, back is rightside up. White definately looks different as well. I also have some turkey reds from the same fellow....they measure 3.5 x 2.5. THey are supposed to be larger arent they? Thanks again, ~sharon

Old 11-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

Yes Sharon, Turkey Reds measure 5 3/4 X 8".