NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Default Cy ENGLE Young

Posted By: Bob S

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86840&item=5175215659&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

huh?

Old 03-14-2005, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Default Cy ENGLE Young

Posted By: Jon

Same seller...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73435&item=5175212985&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

The front is obviously trimmed or ennlarged - the back appears to be regular size. Obviously not real but still a funny card.

Old 03-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Default Cy ENGLE Young

Posted By: CHRIS MCALISTER

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT ALMOST ALL AUCTIONS THAT THE BIDDER ID IS KEPT PRIVATE AND THE SELLER HAS LITTLE OR NO FEEDBACK IS A SCAM. I WISH EBAY COULD CHANGE THE POLICIES REGARDING CARDS THAT ARE NOT GRADED. I GROW TIRED OF LOOKING AT REPRINTS. CHRIS

Old 03-14-2005, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Default Cy ENGLE Young

Posted By: Darren J Duet

Ditto to what chris said.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Default Cy ENGLE Young

Posted By: Shane

I like the thin black borders on all this cards.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Default Cy ENGLE Young

Posted By: Ted

What do you guys mean by wishing ebay would change their policies on ungraded cards? Are you advocating that only graded cards should be sold on ebay? Or as some of these fraudsters are claiming, that all ungraded cards must be labeled as possible reprints? You are hitting a real hot button with me if you are. I sell hundreds of cards on ebay each year, none graded, and none are reprints. Just because a few bozos are crooked that does not mean you change the rules to eliminate all the honest folks.

Ted
He who so shall, so shall he who!

Old 03-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Default Cy ENGLE Young

Posted By: CHRIS MCALISTER

MY RESPONSE WAS ABOUT A PERSON WHO HAS NO OR LOW FEEDBACK THAT KEEPS THE BIDDER ID HIDDEN. I DO BUY VINTAGE UNGRADED CARDS ON EBAY BUT I LOOK AT THE SELLERS FEEDBACK AND WHAT ELSE THEY SELL. I HAVE TO BE HONEST, I LIKE CARDS THAT ARE SLABBED AND BECAUSE OF THE FEES INVOLVED I AM WILLING TO PAY MORE FOR A GRADED CARD. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE ANSWERS ARE BUT I DO GET FRUSTRATED LOOKING AT CARDS FROM SELLERS THAT HAVE BAD PICTURES OR EVEN WORSE STORIES ABOUT THE CARDS THEY ARE SELLING FOR NO OTHER PURPOSE THAN TO RIP OFF PEOPLE. IN NO WAY AM I IMPLYING THAT HONEST SELLERS SHOULD HAVE TO SELL THEIR REAL CARDS AS POSSIBLE REPRINTS.

Old 03-15-2005, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Default Cy ENGLE Young

Chris, thanks for the clarification. I was basing what I said on your sentence that read: "I WISH EBAY COULD CHANGE THE POLICIES REGARDING CARDS THAT ARE NOT GRADED". Had you said you wish they would change their policies regarding sellers who are deceptive, I would have gotten your point better.

It pays to buy from those that can be trusted, and the only measure of that, unless you have direct experience with them is their feedback. I personally never buy from anybody with less than 100 feedback score and I always read their negatives. Any more than one per thousand total feedbacks is a sign to me to be careful. You can usually tell by their response to a negative what their attitude would be if you have an issue with your purchase. I also NEVER bid on private auctions or from those with hidden feedback comments. Where there is smoke there is bound to be fire.

Ted

Old 03-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Default Cy ENGLE Young

Posted By: Tim

There seems to be alot of this water stained ink-jet stuff out there.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Default Cy ENGLE Young

Posted By: davidcycleback

One of the rules for sports cards is that if an eBay seller says a card is a reprint or is offering it as a reprint, assume it's a reprint. There are three simple reasons:

1) It's almost always a reprint.

2) Sellers make up stories about reprints being originals, nor originals being reprints.

3) If the seller really doesn't know the difference between an original and reprint 1952T Mickey Mantle or 1955T Sandy Koufax, why the hell are you purchasing a 1952T Mantle or 1955T Koufax from him? You're supposed to be buying these cards from sellers can tell the difference.

Old 03-16-2005, 04:57 AM
Administrator

Default Cy ENGLE Young

David, I think I know the answer to that. Whenever anybody sees one of those, items where the buyer makes it appear that he isn't quite sure that the 52 Mantle is real or not, we all secretly hope it is, but everybody else will think it is not, and not bid on it. It is the old greed factor kicking in and the age old collectors dream of finding a huge card and paying next to nothing for it. The scammers play on this and try to leave enough doubt that the thing just might be real. Then when somebody gets duped, they can always fall back on their "I sold it as reprint" excuse.

It is always good to remember that if it seems to good to be true, it usually is.

Ted

Old 03-16-2005, 05:21 AM
Administrator

Default Cy ENGLE Young

Posted By: chris mcalister

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD! YOU SEE THE RUTH CARD IT'S GOING FOR $30 OR SO AND YOU WONDER. I ALMOST PULLED THE TRIGGER ON A COBB (TY COBB BACK) ONCE AND AM GLAD I DID NOT. CARD LOOKED GREAT SEEMED LEGIT. SELLER SAID CARD WAS AUTHENTIC, BOUGHT IT FROM A CARD SHOP THAT WAS GOING OUT OF BUSINESS AND DEALER SAID THE CARD WAS REAL.MONEY BACK IF NOT SATISFIED! I E-MAILED THE BUYER WHO PAID OVER A GRAND AND ASKED HIM IF HE WAS GOING TO GET IT GRADED ,HE DID,HE E-MAILED ME BACK SOME TIME LATER TO LET ME KNOW THE CARD WAS RETURNED UNGRADED(REPRINT).
THE SELLER WAS NO LONGER A REGISTERED USER AND SO ON. THE BUYER HAD BUYER PROTECTION THROUGH HIS CREDIT CARD AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE IT WENT FROM THERE BUT THATS JUST ONE STORY OF THE THOUSANDS I'M SURE. CURSE ALL THE SCAMMERS OUT THERE!

Old 03-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Default Cy ENGLE Young

Posted By: davidcycleback

I agree that some of these sellers pull the dumb blonde act, hoping that bidders will think they are getting a steal from a naive selller. And when it works, and it does, it wasn't the seller who was naive.

One of my favorite ploys was when the scammer who pretended to be an attractive 6 foot blonde woman (picture included) who collected baseball cards since she was a kid. I'm sure some bidder said, "I don't know if the 52 Mantle is real, but, if I can get her number, who cares." .... Heck, if she had been a brunette, I might of placed a bid.

Old 03-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Default Cy ENGLE Young

Posted By: dennis

david wasn't that the buff card_dove?? it's like the old phone sex you might be talking to roseann but if she sounds like veronica hamel..... to add to the scam the scammer often shill bids on his own items to get that feel of lots of people are bidding on this so it must be real.