NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Default Lithographs - Cope Collection - all certified

Posted By: Sarah Fiedler

I have the EU Cope Collection and all prints are #601/1000. They are all fully matted in burgundy (wine) and all but 7 have actual photos. Some are even autographed. These include Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, John (Hans, Honus, or whatever it is. I'm thouroughly confused.) Wagner, Walter (Barney) Johnson, and Christopher (Christy) Matthewson - the 5 original members elected the the Hall of Fame.

If you are interested in seeing the Lithos, you can visit copesportscollectibles.com However, I am not selling them here. It will just give you an idea of what they look like.

I am ready to sell if anyone is interested.

Thanks.
Sarah

Old 03-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

and it's "Hans" Wagner--unless it's not the Wagner we all know and mostly love.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sarah

Sorry about the mistake. I was typing what I thought I was reading. I guess I can't read my moms writing very well.

I don't know the site well. I'm pretty new to it. I will look for what you suggested.

Thanks for the note.
Sarah

Old 03-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Old 03-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Now, Now Julie

Old 03-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Actually Julie if you’re going to correct someone make sure your correct.

Honus Wagner’s real name was "Johannes Peter Wagner" he was born on Feb 24, 1874 in Mansfield PA. As a son of German immigrants Wagner later in life filled in many documents as "John Peter Wagner". So the lady really wasn’t that far off. Unless you use to bowl with Ol’ Honus and just no he hates being called Johannes or John, then I stand corrected.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Sarah

Well, when I said I'd help my mom out, I never planned on it being so confusing. Thanks for trying to straighten me out. I don't mean to offend anyone. Although I enjoy baseball, I have never done more than alphabetize thousands upon thousands of cards. I have lots to learn.

In spite of that, I am really enjoying the site.

Sarah

Old 03-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Administrator

thing you click on IS above the threads to the left.

Many, many cards of Wagner have him called "Hans." Probably short of "Johannes" None have him called "Horis."<br />Now she's corrected it, but she DID have "Horis."
HEY, HE SPOKE TO ME!

I haven't seen any German movies recently.

Old 03-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Johannes Peter Wagner was born in Chartiers, Pennsylvania, across the Chartiers Creek from its sister city of Mansfield.

His family called him by a shortened version of his given name - "Hans" or "Hannes" - which was Americanized to "Honus" because of the way it was pronounced (HAH-nus). Until later in his life when he began to sign things "Honus," he referred to himself as "J. Hans Wagner" or "John H. Wagner."

Old 03-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: What Julie and I are Trying to Say Is

I've already placed an order with Cope's, (t'wasn't lithographs) and it was indeed a pleasure.
Paul was extremely helpful.

Joe (the tranquil one)

Old 03-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Administrator

I've always wondered where "Honus" came from, because it certainly isn't a common German name. Thanks!

DIGRESSION! I had a German boyfriend in 1956, in Germany, namned "Horstmar." That is a VERY unusual German name. "Horst" is a very common one. My father wrote a book, called "They Thought They Were Free," about--little Nazis--guys like the fire chief, or a school teacher, who belonged with little or much enthusiasm to the Nazi party--because you almost had to, and none of them were even jailed.. He named the student in his book "Horstmar," thinking it was a common German name. My friend Horst (mar) nearly fainted. I think he was so polite, he didn't even mention it to my father. The book was written in English, and was intended to be read by Americans--but eventually it was translated into German..

I don't think anyone knows where this card is anymore, but I may be wrong...