NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Default Federal League Lithographic Stone Find...

Posted By: Jeff S.

Hello - I just pulled this lithographic stone from the estate of a printer and am interested in your opinions on it. The stone measures 10" x 14" x 2 3/4" and features various advertising and images for the Victor Sporting Goods Company of Springfield, MA. I believe the top portion of the stone was used to print either the box that housed Victor baseballs, or perhaps a paper band that went around the box. The proof marks are 2 3/4" apart, with four sections and an end tag, which would perfectly fit around a baseball box. Under that are four various sporting-themed images including baseball. Victor was the official baseball of the Federal League:

"In 1914-15, the Federal League, the last serious threat to the two established major league circuits, utilized a ball made by the Victor Sporting Goods Company, at the time one of the leaders in the business." -The Official Rules of Baseball Illustrated - By David Nemec, 2006

I’ve included a reversed image of the stone for ease of reading – interesting that it mentions the ball being adopted by the American Association, Southern Association and Pacific Coast League, among others. I believe Victor began in 1898, and the image on the reverse of the stone has dates of 189_and 190_. Can anyone provide any further information?

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Jeff

I can't offer any further thoughts on this, other than to say it is a very cool piece and a great find.

Max

Old 10-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I can't help you with it as I've never seen anything like it before...I just have to say though that it is a great find. I love the pre 'Wright Ditson' Victor logo. My favorite bat from my collection is a Victor bat.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

This is the first baseball themed lithographic stone I've seen. Great condition too.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Thanks guys - it's a hefty piece, weighing roughly 35lbs. I would love to see a Federal League ball with original box - Kovels has a sales record for one, but I lack a password:

http://www.kovels.com/priceguide/kovels_sports/1997/baseball/1519255.html

Old 10-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Jeff, I may have a photo of a Federal league ball with box somewhere on my computer...it was sold on ebay about 3 years ago and IIRC it sold for nearly $6,000. When I was collecting baseballs I held that up as my holy grail piece...I had no idea that it would sell that high though.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

What a great piece.

Can someone in the know explain the process of how this was used? I can't recall the use of a "Stone" but it obviously is one. Very interesting. We have some original lithography proofs which are also reversed, but these are actually lithograph images themselves, nothing like this neat stone.

And if you think that puppy is heavy, we recently added a ten foot long Narragansett Brewing Company Terrazzo tile to our beer collection dated to 1916 (there's a newspaper image stuck to the back). That bad boy weighs at least 800-900 pounds and we needed a moving company to get it to the house. It reminds me a lot of this stone in it's construction as seen in the side view.

great piece, congrats!

Greg

Old 10-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The stone is the printing plate. The original form of lithography was printed from a stone, and the final prints are often referred to as a 'stone lithographs.' Stone lithography is better quality, but, for practical reasons including the weight and size of stones, commercial printers switched to metal sheets as is used today.

So the above stone is not only a unique baseball item, but a historical printing artifact.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Found a few bits through Google Book Search, which if anyone is unfamiliar with, it's quite amazing.

"I have played with the Victor baseball and have also made a careful examination of its material and construction as compared with other balls. It is durable, holds its shape well, and is the nicest ball to handle I have ever used." – John M. Ward

From: Recreation - By George O. Shields, American Canoe Association, League of American Sportsmen - Published by G.O. Shields (Coquina), 1896

And an image from The Sportsman's Magazine, 1897:

Old 10-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Jeff, that is an awesome piece. I was wondering, are going to get it graded?

Clint

Old 10-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Slab the slab right? Maybe Beckett with those new oversize holders...

Old 10-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

David,

thanks for the reply. how does the process work?

greg

Old 10-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Jeff, I found this photo in my computer today...it doesn't show the box, but it's a pretty cool photo of the ball. I think this one may have been in a Leland's auction.

Photobucket

Old 10-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Administrator

Thanks Dan! That ball sold for $7186.00 with juice through Lelands. Here's a link showing all the Federal League items they've offered since 2001 - check out that Eddie Plank signed Fed. League ball that sold for $44k+. Great stuff.

I'll probably be putting the stone on ebay soon - I'll give a heads up when I do.

http://lelands.com/searchlist.aspx?auction=all&type=Title&keyword=federal%20league

Old 10-30-2008, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn

Nice stone Jeff... I would love to have this but probably out of my price range! Good luck with the sale, the shipping cost will probably scare the devil out me.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Ok, the stone is listed - take a moment to check it out if you get a chance. Started it at $9.95 so have fun...also have a Boston Garter box up this week:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=260309839241

Thanks again to everyone who responded.